Jester ECU problems - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2019, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1994 3000gt; 11:1
Red94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Jester ECU problems

Hi, so I've just installed a chromed ecu from jester and for some reason all 4 of my oxygen sensor heaters do not work. I keep getting the same 4 check engine codes for them. I've already checked all the wiring and replaced the MFI relay in hopes to remedy the problem. Nothing has worked so far.

I know Jester chrome ECU is able to wire in an AEM wideband signal, and then its scaled in EcuFlash so the computer understands the inputs. I have a 1994 cali base model, and it says to tap into pin 77 for the wideband 5v signal.

Only problem is pin 77 is one of the wires for my oxygen sensors, and the connector has a wire in that spot. Also, there is no option available in EcuFlash to connect/ scale in a wideband signal anywhere.

I've searched everywhere and have been testing all the electronics in my car but cannot find any answers. I've also talked with Adam from Jester but I haven't gotten a solid answer. If I can input the wideband I can just disconnect all of my other sensors and run off the aem one and the car would run great again.

Any help is appreciated. I know creating new threads is annoying, but I couldn't seem to find any answers.
Red94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2019, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 92 RT/TT, 96 Cobra
RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Default Re: Jester ECU problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red94 View Post
Hi, so I've just installed a chromed ecu from jester and for some reason all 4 of my oxygen sensor heaters do not work. I keep getting the same 4 check engine codes for them. I've already checked all the wiring and replaced the MFI relay in hopes to remedy the problem. Nothing has worked so far.

I know Jester chrome ECU is able to wire in an AEM wideband signal, and then its scaled in EcuFlash so the computer understands the inputs. I have a 1994 cali base model, and it says to tap into pin 77 for the wideband 5v signal.

Only problem is pin 77 is one of the wires for my oxygen sensors, and the connector has a wire in that spot. Also, there is no option available in EcuFlash to connect/ scale in a wideband signal anywhere.

I've searched everywhere and have been testing all the electronics in my car but cannot find any answers. I've also talked with Adam from Jester but I haven't gotten a solid answer. If I can input the wideband I can just disconnect all of my other sensors and run off the aem one and the car would run great again.

Any help is appreciated. I know creating new threads is annoying, but I couldn't seem to find any answers.
You need to turn off the O2 monitors in the peripheries. Kinda figured that would already have been done if the ECU was listed as being for that car... the 94 O2 sensors heaters are not controlled or monitored by the ECU, so it's setting codes because they aren't there...

You also need to confirm that yours is specifically for a Cali car... The O2 sensors on 94-95 Cali cars are wired backward of Fed cars.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

I did see that option in the peripheries, thought that would only turn off the check engine light but I'll switch them off next time i get the chance. The car still runs a little weird off the two narrow band sensors, which is why I wanted to go off the wideband, which would be better for tuning anyway.

And on the Ecu, the sticker does say 94-95 SL Cali spec. 94-97vr4 and 96-97 SL. Although when I connect to ecu flash in the first box that identifies the car it says 1998 3000gt SL. Not sure if that's generic or not

Old 08-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Verified Seller

RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3

Quote:
I did see that option in the peripheries, thought that would only turn off the check engine light but I'll switch them off next time i get the chance. The car still runs a little weird off the two narrow band sensors, which is why I wanted to go off the wideband, which would be better for tuning anyway.

And on the Ecu, the sticker does say 94-95 SL Cali spec. 94-97vr4 and 96-97 SL. Although when I connect to ecu flash in the first box that identifies the car it says 1998 3000gt SL. Not sure if that's generic or not
You won't get it to run any better or different with simulated signals from a wideband controller... The ECU doesn't know the difference.

What are your fuel trims doing? Are they taking off in different directions? I would definitely follow up on determining if it is identifying the O2 sensors correctly.
RealMcCoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMcCoy View Post
You won't get it to run any better or different with simulated signals from a wideband controller... The ECU doesn't know the difference.

What are your fuel trims doing? Are they taking off in different directions? I would definitely follow up on determining if it is identifying the O2 sensors correctly.
I'll definitely check to see if its seeing the o2 sensors. That might just be my problem.

I haven't checked my fuel trims yet. When the car is started on cold start, it'll run to roughly 14.5 afr for a minute but then drop to around 11.5-12.5 afr. last time I really drove it, the readings would only steady out when the car was hot.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Quote:
I'll definitely check to see if its seeing the o2 sensors. That might just be my problem.

I haven't checked my fuel trims yet. When the car is started on cold start, it'll run to roughly 14.5 afr for a minute but then drop to around 11.5-12.5 afr. last time I really drove it, the readings would only steady out when the car was hot.
If it's in closed loop, you need to just ignore the wideband... The ECU is controlling the mixture, and the fuel trims are where you need to look to see if that's in line.

The wideband will always read 14.x as the sensor is warming up... Once it warms up and starts moving, then you can believe what it says. Cold start is always commanded rich, and tapers off to stoich as the coolant temp warms up. That's normal behavior.
RealMcCoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in