I have a 1995 3000GT SL that is over heating - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2019, 07:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind

craigbarlow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default I have a 1995 3000GT SL that is over heating

My mechanic has replaced the radiator, radiator cap, thermostat three times, did a antifreeze flush and reverse flush with no visible build up.
My mechanic has also replaced the water pump and timing belt with all of the pullies and tensioner with dealer parts that I supplied. He also replaced the serpentine belt.

It typically only over heats after a 40 mile drive. If I turn on the car interior heater at the hottest temperature and highest fan speed I can usually control it for a while.
The Large fan turns on well before it starts to over heat and the small fan turns on with the air conditioning which I never use.
I have measured the amount of antifreeze in the external bottle and the levels are exactly what they should be when it is warmed up and cooled down.
It does not appear to be leaking any antifreeze, although when it over heats and cools down I can usually put about half a court in the radiator cap.
Five years ago the dealer (they no longer do this) did an acid flush and new antifreeze and it fixed the overheating.
Does anyone have any suggestions or know the best chemical flush and antifreeze I should use for the 3000GT SL?
Thanks in Advance for any advice, I have had this problem the entire summer.

Craig Barlow
craigbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: 91 3000GT VR4
jrhorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Re: I have a 1995 3000GT SL that is over heating

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbarlow View Post
My mechanic has replaced the radiator, radiator cap, thermostat three times, did a antifreeze flush and reverse flush with no visible build up.
My mechanic has also replaced the water pump and timing belt with all of the pullies and tensioner with dealer parts that I supplied. He also replaced the serpentine belt.

It typically only over heats after a 40 mile drive. If I turn on the car interior heater at the hottest temperature and highest fan speed I can usually control it for a while.
The Large fan turns on well before it starts to over heat and the small fan turns on with the air conditioning which I never use.
I have measured the amount of antifreeze in the external bottle and the levels are exactly what they should be when it is warmed up and cooled down.
It does not appear to be leaking any antifreeze, although when it over heats and cools down I can usually put about half a court in the radiator cap.
Five years ago the dealer (they no longer do this) did an acid flush and new antifreeze and it fixed the overheating.
Does anyone have any suggestions or know the best chemical flush and antifreeze I should use for the 3000GT SL?
Thanks in Advance for any advice, I have had this problem the entire summer.

Craig Barlow
What radiator are you running? New OEM?

Also, the 2nd fan (A/C one) should turn on based on high coolant temperature, not only A/C use. So when you are overheating, that fan should be running even without the A/C on. I forgot the exact temperatures each one turns on, but you can find it in some threads here or the manuals.

Finally, is this a DOHC? There are two coolant sensors (i believe all years), one for the ECU and one for the center gauge. Do you have any way to confirm the ECU is actually seeing high temperatures? If there is an issue with the sensor for the gauge it may seem like the car is overheating when it is not, or if an issue with the ECU sensor, the ECU may not know the car is overheating.
Gt-347 Turbo Kit (~13g)--RC 550cc Injectors--Denso Fuel Pump--Apexi S-AFC II--Turboxs Boost Controller--3sx Air Filter--DNP Stainless Intake Pipe Kit--Turboxs BOV--Autometer Boost Gauge--AEM UEGO Wideband O2--EK2 Downpipe--Gutted Precats--Testpipe--Polished VR-4 Plug Wire Cover, Valve Cover, & Plenum--Stage 2 Twin Turbo Clutch Kit--Full Bomex Body Kit
jrhorne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in