'95 won't start, no clicking, bad starter? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2019, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind

Johnny Millions is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default '95 won't start, no clicking, bad starter?

1995 Non-Turbo with 100K miles, auto transmission.

Recently it began having troubles starting.

Turn the key, nothing. Let it sit, turn it again & nothing. Then turn it again, hold it in start position & boom.

Is this the starter? There is no clicking noises when it's not starting.

The battery is fine. All lights, electronics come on when the key is in.

Thanks!
Johnny Millions is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2019, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: 91 3000GT VR4
jrhorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Re: '95 won't start, no clicking, bad starter?

Yes, it could be the starter, but this also sounds like it could be the igntion switch as well. I had a different car that had this same issue. The internal connections inside of the key tumber and igition switch were work out, and you had to wiggle the key or push in with a lot of force sometimes to get it to engage the starter when turning to start (although going to ACC or IGN worked fine). I suppose it could also be the starter relay?

In order to narrow it down you may need to test if the relay/starter are getting sent the signal to engage when you turn the key to the start position. If not, its probably the ignition switch. I replaced mine on my 91 vr4 many years ago with one from autozone (when i was chasing click click start issue). Never had any problems with that one.
Gt-347 Turbo Kit (~13g)--RC 550cc Injectors--Denso Fuel Pump--Apexi S-AFC II--Turboxs Boost Controller--3sx Air Filter--DNP Stainless Intake Pipe Kit--Turboxs BOV--Autometer Boost Gauge--AEM UEGO Wideband O2--EK2 Downpipe--Gutted Precats--Testpipe--Polished VR-4 Plug Wire Cover, Valve Cover, & Plenum--Stage 2 Twin Turbo Clutch Kit--Full Bomex Body Kit
jrhorne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I pulled the starter from the car.

Is there a way to test it while it's off the car?

Old 09-03-2019, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: 94 R/T TT, 05 A4 USP
jj94tt is an unknown quantity at this point

You can bench test it with 12v, but it's a no-load test. When it was on the car, did the lights dim when you turned the key? If not, then the starter was not engaging for some reason (relay, starter solenoid, etc.). If they did dim, then it was engaging but didn't have the juice to turn the engine over. I've had many instances when the motor brushes were on a weak spot in the armature (or commutator), and a light tap from a small hammer is all it took for the starter motor to function again. When this happens, there is no dimming, no click... nothing.

You hook it up on the bench using a car battery w/ jumper cables with -12v to the starter flange and +12v on the main post. There is a smaller wire connected to a smaller post from the starter relay that triggers the solenoid (or magnetic switch) from the ignition; this engages the motor... just hit that with another +12v and you are in business.
jj94tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Appreciate all the advice!

It was the starter & battery actually.

When it rains, it pours. Swapped both out and it starts perfectly!

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in