24 hours with StopTech - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2004, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hitokiri Battousai

Drives: A car that runs
Jeremy C is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Default 24 hours with StopTech

I bring forth my review on the Supercar Engineering Stoptech Big Brake kit for the FWD cars. (what a long name)

Yesterday Philip from SE and I installed the BBK on my car. We started around 4PM and at 10PM my car was rolling around the parking lot at my work where we did the swap. It would have been done faster, but Philip is METICULOUS with his installs! When I pulled the brake hardware out of me stock setup he took a triangle file and cleaned each thread individually just to make sure there would be no binding when reinstalling. He also took EXTREME care to make sure that nothing got scratched/scuffed, or marred in any way,shape, or form. I honestly think the swap could be done in about 3 hours if you get it done quick.

After having to "tweak" the splashguard and the lower control arm for clearence (I'll let him explain it) there was no problems with fitment, and my GOC these things are HUGE!!! We put AXXIS Metal Master pads in front and rear and bled the system with Valvoline synthetic DOT3/4 fluid, and then proceeded to "bed" the brakes. Philip did this while I tried to watch the G's being created on the G-tech Comp. Pro that he had brought along with him. With no ABS, shoddy tires (not my rims - brakes would clear on my rims), and a slightly sandy road we were pulling .7G's stopping from 60mph! I was litterally bracing myself using both feet and the handle on the passenger door while trying to keep an eye on the G-Tech. After about 7-8 HARD stops like this in about 3 minutes we started to get what Philip called "Green Fade" which is new=pad break-in, so we were forced to drive around and let the brakes cool down and stop smoking (once again, due to new pads/rotors).

I've been driving around with the BBK today and the pedal and stoppping power aren't even comparable to stock. The pedal is extremely tight and very responsive to the pressure I give it. You do NOT stand on these brakes unless you really want to kiss your windshield. With about an inch of pedal movement I'm stopping as hard as I did with nearly full pressure on stock. I honestly won't hit these brakes there hardest in fear of what might happen!

The look: Once again, not even on the same planet! The Stoptech calipers make the TT brakes look like you bicycle brakes. The huge, black anodized caliper mocks whatever you throw at it and the 2-piece rotor simply dwarfs the stock piece. Every piece of the kit looks like a piece of artwork and I can't help but to look in disgust at the pieces that have to go back on my car (I have to give these back unfortunately).

In closing, I can tell you exactly what brakes I'll be purchasing once I get some larger rims. The StopTech Big Brake Kit is simply amazing in ever aspect, and you would be crazy to pass on these if you have the money for them. I'd like to thank Philip with Supercar Engineering for his awesome abilities and giving me the chance to test these for the FWD community. I will make sure to buy these from him as soon as I can.

Pictures of the install will be available as soon as Philip sends them to me.
Jeremy C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2004, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Paid Member

Drives: 1994 Stealth
Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3Stealthee Level 3
Feedback Score: 151 reviews
Default Re: 24 hours with StopTech

Good write up Jeremy. What size rims are required with this brake set up? I am thinking about something like this but at the same time am trying to conserve rotational weight.

Stealthee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2004, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mikes95RT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Sounds absolutly wonderful! I really could use some real brakes. What is the cost on these and what size rims do you need? Thanks, Mike
Mikes95RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2004, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Math Man

Drives: 1995 3000GT FWD-TT
95red3000gt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

hey congrats on the brakes!! If I had money left over from the conversion, I would get them, but I'm broke now.
95red3000gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2004, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: Midsize sedan
Macky Level 1Macky Level 1
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

i hate you jeremy

wow, they are that good huh? congrats on being the lab rat for this, i would have gladly offered my ride as a test car for this sort of thing. well hopefully when i do decide to replace my front calipers that the stoptechs would have already a proven system for our cars (by the looks of things i think they are there)

once again, WOW
Old 03-14-2004, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hitokiri Battousai

Drives: A car that runs
Jeremy C is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews

I used 2nd gen 17" rims, as my 16X7's (they were on teh car when I bought it) were way to small. Honestly, with these brakes you'll be in the same boat as 2nd gen TT guys when it comes to rims (minimum 17", LOTS of positive offset).

You'll have have to talk to Philip on the price, as I was only the tester and I'm not buying these right this moment (why buy when I don't have rims?).

His website is www.supercarengineering.com

These will help with rotational weight. Though they are larger, the calipers weigh almos the same and the rotors are lighter! Aluminum is a good thing.
Jeremy C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2004, 10:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy C
I used 2nd gen 17" rims, as my 16X7's (they were on teh car when I bought it) were way to small. Honestly, with these brakes you'll be in the same boat as 2nd gen TT guys when it comes to rims (minimum 17", LOTS of positive offset).

You'll have have to talk to Philip on the price, as I was only the tester and I'm not buying these right this moment (why buy when I don't have rims?).

His website is www.supercarengineering.com

These will help with rotational weight. Though they are larger, the calipers weigh almos the same and the rotors are lighter! Aluminum is a good thing.
you are still a lucky man having been given the chance to test these wonderful toys!

well i have to save the $$ for them. i plan to take off the front brakes when i clock 100K or so, because i think the stock fronts should be very damed well shot at 100K
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2004, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
n' the dragon [email protected]

morfinx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

excellent writeup jeremy! can't wait to see the pics

92 3000GT SL 5-Spd "Calixta" [SOLD!!]

- The Trent
morfinx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2004, 09:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx
excellent writeup jeremy! can't wait to see the pics
which reminds me, jeremy, where are the pics?

*off topic, Morfinx ur sig is bad! love it
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2004, 09:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
n' the dragon [email protected]

morfinx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky
which reminds me, jeremy, where are the pics?

*off topic, Morfinx ur sig is bad! love it
not too shabby yourself i dunno how that DSM snuck in the lineup tho

ok, back to topic at hand!
morfinx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Non-Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in