Warped Heads.... - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2019, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: '94 VR-4 w/JDM motor
Hackurs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Default Warped Heads....

So I took the heads from my VR-4 into a shop to get leveled and planed. The shop informed me they're warped and bowed, and it'll cost me $630 to level and plane them, before even testing the valves. Should I just buy used heads, and have them tested? What's the most cost effective option available to me? Thanks!
Hackurs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 92 RT/TT, 96 Cobra
RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Default Re: Warped Heads....

Yeah, if they're bananas, the cam journals won't be straight anymore. They'll have to be bent back straight, resurfaced, and depending on how good a job they do straightening, possibly line honed... They'd be scrap metal to me. I'd just go drag another set off the shelf and save myself the headache.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMcCoy View Post
Yeah, if they're bananas, the cam journals won't be straight anymore. They'll have to be bent back straight, resurfaced, and depending on how good a job they do straightening, possibly line honed... They'd be scrap metal to me. I'd just go drag another set off the shelf and save myself the headache.
That's what I was afraid of. Do I need to get the new heads planed or anything? Or is it safe to just swap them?

Old 04-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Verified Seller

RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackurs View Post
That's what I was afraid of. Do I need to get the new heads planed or anything? Or is it safe to just swap them?
Have them checked... If they're flat, and have no deterioration on the surface, you'll be fine. Most need to be touched up. Just make sure whoever does it can cut a near mirror finish that's an acceptable RA to the MLS gasket.
RealMcCoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2019, 11:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1992 3000GT VR4
Warzone is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

$650 is ALOT in labor for just milling.

I had mine milled, new valve guides, seats, cut for 1mm Iconel and Stainless/Nitrate oversized valves with titanium retainers and high rev springs,, re-assembled, shimmed, etc. for about that much, and it was all done at some of the best quality I have ever seen.
Warzone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2019, 07:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
I've been here way too long

Drives: 91 tsi
donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warzone View Post
$650 is ALOT in labor for just milling.

I had mine milled, new valve guides, seats, cut for 1mm Iconel and Stainless/Nitrate oversized valves with titanium retainers and high rev springs,, re-assembled, shimmed, etc. for about that much, and it was all done at some of the best quality I have ever seen.
That’s because they need straightened first.
donniekak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMcCoy View Post
Random question about the old heads, good sir. What the hell do I actually do with them, since they're scrap?
Old 05-19-2019, 09:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Amsterdamn

Drives: 85 Monte Carlo SS
Turbo Beast Level 2Turbo Beast Level 2Turbo Beast Level 2Turbo Beast Level 2
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Trash em.

Turbo Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Old heads are trashed. I'm checking over everything else, so that this can be done for good. Just replaced the front crankshaft seal, looked like it was leaking before. Thinking it should be good to go, but I wanted to confirm with you gents. How deep should the seal be inset? I have it set 1/16" or so in from the surrounding case. Next up, I'm trying to clean out one of my more stupid moves of using a coolant stop leak system, the crap is still in the system, gonna have to get it flushed, extensively. Along with that, I was checking the coolant system for integrity after the multiple overheats, and came across this (pic below). Is this normal, or is the water pump really stressed and cracked?

https://imgur.com/a/E6wzNrM
Old 06-02-2019, 06:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackurs View Post
Old heads are trashed. I'm checking over everything else, so that this can be done for good. Just replaced the front crankshaft seal, looked like it was leaking before. Thinking it should be good to go, but I wanted to confirm with you gents. How deep should the seal be inset? I have it set 1/16" or so in from the surrounding case. Next up, I'm trying to clean out one of my more stupid moves of using a coolant stop leak system, the crap is still in the system, gonna have to get it flushed, extensively. Along with that, I was checking the coolant system for integrity after the multiple overheats, and came across this (pic below). Is this normal, or is the water pump really stressed and cracked?

https://imgur.com/a/E6wzNrM
That's just normal casting lines. Not an issue.
RealMcCoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country