Vacuum Reduction - Clutch Boost - No extra "T" - Page 3 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International
 

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #21 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
3Sfever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Virginia
Drives: '91 Stealth TT
3Sfever is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Default Re: Vacuum Reduction - Clutch Boost - No extra "T"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sunshine View Post
so the accumulator isn't necessary? what happens if you do an emergency stop pushing the clutch and brake at the same time?
The main purpose of accumulator is to hold vacuum while engine is turned off. . . . So prior to starting, the clutch is easy to push down that first time.

During an emergency, the engine would provide plenty of vacuum (unless the clutch, brake, AND throttle are all down at same time )
__________________
-Ron
'91 Stealth TT
purchased Aug 2004 . . . now my son's . . as of Mar 2010
3Sfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #22 (permalink)
Verified Seller
 
Black_Sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay Area CALI
Drives: 2 wheels
Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2
Feedback Score: 117 reviews
Default Re: Vacuum Reduction - Clutch Boost - No extra "T"

i guess my thing is that i've had the check valve in the brake booster fail on me before. normal driving, it was fine, but coming off a boost run and braking, there was still pressure in the lines and it felt like i was pushing against a brick wall. the pedal wouldn't budge at all. i guess if the check valve holds when you push the clutch and brake, it would be a good way to remove clutter from the engine bay. i know i hated that hardline and bought Jack Hammer's silicone replacement for it. basically, silicone lines with a check valve in it.
Black_Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Duper Mod
 
lawdogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: West Los Angeles
Drives: deals
lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3
Feedback Score: 111 reviews
Default Re: Vacuum Reduction - Clutch Boost - No extra "T"

Interesting idea Ron! I have the 'monochrome' method of vac. reduction, so in my car instead of looping the clutch vac. assist into the brake booster, the brake booster is looped into itself with the clutch assist line going to the plenum nipple right after the TB. They're so similar, maybe I'll try it out your way.

--Ryan
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO Assassin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray pampena View Post
Cant we all just smile and get along?
No!
lawdogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
3Sfever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Virginia
Drives: '91 Stealth TT
3Sfever is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Default Re: Vacuum Reduction - Clutch Boost - No extra "T"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sunshine View Post
i guess my thing is that i've had the check valve in the brake booster fail on me before. normal driving, it was fine, but coming off a boost run and braking, there was still pressure in the lines and it felt like i was pushing against a brick wall. the pedal wouldn't budge at all. i guess if the check valve holds when you push the clutch and brake, it would be a good way to remove clutter from the engine bay. i know i hated that hardline and bought Jack Hammer's silicone replacement for it. basically, silicone lines with a check valve in it.
Boost pressure where there should be vacuum would be a scary thing!! In the way mine it connected now though (no accumulator, and very short lines), it would seem that boost in the brake and clutch boosters would not last long. As soon as the throttle plate shut, it would be quick vacuum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg View Post
Interesting idea Ron! I have the 'monochrome' method of vac. reduction, so in my car instead of looping the clutch vac. assist into the brake booster, the brake booster is looped into itself with the clutch assist line going to the plenum nipple right after the TB. They're so similar, maybe I'll try it out your way.

--Ryan
I was not aware of the 'monochrome' method, when I stumbled onto this method. . . . I am still trying to envision what it is. "brake booster is looped into itself" is throwing me. . . . I could see where vacuum source might be the nipple after throttle body, via checkvalve hose to a 'cut' clutch assist line, then a hose from clutch line "T" to brake booster. The stock hose would be too short though, right?

If you have already done it that way, I am not sure there is any advantage to changing, unless a clean firewall is desireable. If starting from scratch though, I can not imagine anything simpler than what I have done. No new parts, just a cut and bend (and remove everything else left over)
3Sfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 10:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
Verified Seller
 
Black_Sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay Area CALI
Drives: 2 wheels
Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2
Feedback Score: 117 reviews
Default Re: Vacuum Reduction - Clutch Boost - No extra "T"

now that i know the accumulator isn't necessary, i'll just run a straight silicone line with a check valve in there to the booster. thanks!
Black_Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Duper Mod
 
lawdogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: West Los Angeles
Drives: deals
lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3
Feedback Score: 111 reviews
Default Re: Vacuum Reduction - Clutch Boost - No extra "T"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Sfever View Post
I was not aware of the 'monochrome' method, when I stumbled onto this method. . . . I am still trying to envision what it is. "brake booster is looped into itself" is throwing me. . . . I could see where vacuum source might be the nipple after throttle body, via checkvalve hose to a 'cut' clutch assist line, then a hose from clutch line "T" to brake booster. The stock hose would be too short though, right?

If you have already done it that way, I am not sure there is any advantage to changing, unless a clean firewall is desireable. If starting from scratch though, I can not imagine anything simpler than what I have done. No new parts, just a cut and bend (and remove everything else left over)
I'll try to snap pics tomorrow!
lawdogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 11:29 AM   #27 (permalink)
3S Owner since '04
 
jba3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charles Town WV
Drives: until bearings spin
jba3 Level 1jba3 Level 1
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Default Re: Vacuum Reduction - Clutch Boost - No extra "T"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sunshine View Post
so the accumulator isn't necessary? what happens if you do an emergency stop pushing the clutch and brake at the same time?
I did this a couple weeks ago and haven't had any issues ... or a chance to take pics. I also did it without any benders, just a hand saw, and a new short piece of hose ($2 maybe?).
__________________
95 VR4 Coupe, Red - Down since April 2012 (maintenance & lots of mods, including "divorce mod")

95 VR4 Spyder, Red - For sale @ GZP
95 VR4 Spyder, Black - Sold Dec 2012
jba3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #28 (permalink)
Verified Seller
 
Black_Sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay Area CALI
Drives: 2 wheels
Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2
Feedback Score: 117 reviews
Default Re: Vacuum Reduction - Clutch Boost - No extra "T"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jba3 View Post
I did this a couple weeks ago and haven't had any issues ... or a chance to take pics. I also did it without any benders, just a hand saw, and a new short piece of hose ($2 maybe?).
i can't tell from your pic, is your car turbo? have you tried an emergency stop yet?
Black_Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #29 (permalink)
Slowest 3/S in chicago
 
DaveSlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chicago
Drives: 93 VR-4 & 98 M3
DaveSlow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Default Re: Vacuum Reduction - Clutch Boost - No extra "T"

an even easier way to do it is to use the hose with the check-valve to come off the manifold nipple. I then have a plastic T the hardware store that splits off into the clutch booster and brake booster.

Then you can get rid of ALL of that garbage along the firewall.
__________________
DaveSlow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #30 (permalink)
Vendor
 
Chris @ Rvenge Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cape Girardeau Mo
Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3
Feedback Score: 124 reviews
Default Re: Vacuum Reduction - Clutch Boost - No extra "T"

i've never run the vaccuum tanks. There are useless except on intial start. Disabling the clutch safety fixes that.
__________________
Stroker DR750 E85 AEM Stealth Turbo  YouTube Channel
Tech blog

Getrag Rebuilds, Strength, and Performance Improvements, Performance Parts, including AEM EMS, ACT Clutch, Southbend Clutch, Spec Clutch,
3000GT Fuel Injector Guide, Walbro, Snow Performance, OEM Mitsubishi Parts, Getrag Parts, Synchros, much more!

Chris @ Rvenge Performance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.