Vacuum Reduction - Clutch Boost - No extra "T" - Page 2 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '91 Stealth TT
3Sfever is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Default Re: Vacuum Reduction - Clutch Boost - No extra "T"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLxDrummer View Post
Alright, I'm probably going to do this soon. Any tips on bending the line without kinking it?

Any tips on getting the line out of the engine bay? I've never looked at the vacuum tank but I'm assuming it's easy to get out?

Also, what did you use to plug the nipple?
I used a tubing bender. 456 Tri-Bender - RIDGID Professional Tools . . . The tubing is actually a little big for the bender, maybe = 10mm which is slightly larger than the 3/8 form in the bender, but it worked. (with a lot of force on handles). . . . Not sure if you can get one of these benders as auto parts loaner tool?? With care, you could bend it around a round object the radius you are attempting. You would have to do little at a time, and maybe use vise-grips or something to keep the sides from bulging. . . . My bend was a little ugly because I had a hard time getting the bender in position correctly. I slipped a piece of flexible black plastic tubing over the steel tube to hide the un-evenness. Looks totally stock.

I bent the tube while in the car, but I would suggest taking it out first. I had to take mine out later for other reasons, and found it is not that hard to disconnect the A/C line from firewall etc. to free this tube.

The hard lines and vacuum tank are easy to get out. It is a little time-consuming because of the other stuff that has to be removed first, but it is very obvious what has to come out, once you look at it.

I removed the nipple and replaced with metric pipe plug.

Last edited by 3Sfever; 05-11-2009 at 12:13 PM.
3Sfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1992 3000GT VR4
UCSB VR4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Sfever View Post
The lower hard-line on the firewall was connected to a hose near the battery area and ran to the clutch booster. . . . I cut that line, and bent the end toward the brake booster hose.
I don't get it... I understand that you're cutting the hard-line, connecting one end of the cut to the brake booster hose, but what are you doing with the other end of the cut that runs to the clutch booster. I think this is the ugly hard-line that runs across the engine bay and down past the tranny. Doesn't that impact the clutch booster now?

- Jeff
Air: DR-650s, DSM SMICs w/ 1-3/4" piping, 2" DN Performance intercooler hard pipe kit, IPS no-MAS intake pipes w/ dual K&N filters, ported & polished upper & lower intake manifolds, GReddy Type-S BOV (open loop), ET-Performance krank vents.
Fuel: Supra fuel pump (hotwired), Labonte ISG-25 stage II water/meth kit w/ Snow Performance Boost Juice, 720cc Denso injectors, AEM FPR @ 45psi base pressure.
Ignition: HKS Twin Power DLI, MSD 8.5mm superconductor wires, Denso iridium IK27 plugs @ .030", Odyssey PC925 battery.
Engine: DR stage ]|[ heads, .50mm overbore, '99 lifters.
Exhaust: Swain Tech White Lightning coated OBX headers & O2/pre-cat eliminators, ATR 3" downpipe, 3'' test pipe, Greddy 3" catback.
Drivetrain: DXD TZ Series Stage 2 clutch, RPS lightweight flywheel, 3SX lightweight crank pulley, 3SX polyurethane motor mounts, PST 1-piece CFDS, Stillen drilled and slotted rotors, 18x9.5 5Zigen FN01RC rims, BF-Goodrich KDW-2 tires, Cusco rear strut bar.
Miscellaneous: Corbeau A4 black seats, short throw shifter, presidential alarm system, 300lbs of miscellaneous weight reductions... "who's your daddy?" license plate =D
DVD/NAV & Audio: Kenwood Excelon 6980, KCA-iP202 iPod interface, CMOS-200 backup camera, KTC-HR300 HD radio, Alpine PDX-4.150 amplifier, Polk MM6501 components, Polk MM691 3-way triaxial, 8 inch bazooka tube.
Future Mods: coilovers
UCSB VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCSB VR4 View Post
I don't get it... I understand that you're cutting the hard-line, connecting one end of the cut to the brake booster hose, but what are you doing with the other end of the cut that runs to the clutch booster. I think this is the ugly hard-line that runs across the engine bay and down past the tranny. Doesn't that impact the clutch booster now?

- Jeff
Something not obvious looking in engine bay is that there is a "T" behind the air conditioning hoses. One side goes to passenger side, on it way to the accumulator tanks under radiator. The other side goes to the clutch booster.

I cut the line (the ugly one you refer to), bent it, and attached to brake booster. . . . The other side of the "T" remains connected to clutch booster.

Attached is a crude sketch.
Attached Thumbnails
Vacuum Reduction - Clutch Boost - No extra "T"-diagram.jpg  

Old 05-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1992 3000GT VR4
UCSB VR4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Sfever View Post
Something not obvious looking in engine bay is that there is a "T" behind the air conditioning hoses. One side goes to passenger side, on it way to the accumulator tanks under radiator. The other side goes to the clutch booster.

I cut the line (the ugly one you refer to), bent it, and attached to brake booster. . . . The other side of the "T" remains connected to clutch booster.

Attached is a crude sketch.
Got it, thanks!

- Jeff
UCSB VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
3S Owner since '04

Drives: until bearings spin
jba3 Level 1jba3 Level 1
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

If you don't have anything to bend that line with, could you cut the hard pipe closer to the stock rubber pipe and get a longer rubber pipe and replace the stock one? If I'm reading this right the piece replaced would be the one right behind the brake fluid reservoir, so there's no check valve in it. I'm doing the vac reduction now so I want to do this at the same time and ditch the stupid brake booster. That hard line near the battery annoys the sporf outta me!

EDIT: How hard is the pipe to cut? Any special tools needed?

95 VR4 Spyder, Red - For sale @ GZP
95 VR4 Spyder, Black - Sold Dec 2012

Last edited by jba3; 06-13-2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: cutting
jba3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jba3 View Post
If you don't have anything to bend that line with, could you cut the hard pipe closer to the stock rubber pipe and get a longer rubber pipe and replace the stock one? If I'm reading this right the piece replaced would be the one right behind the brake fluid reservoir, so there's no check valve in it. I'm doing the vac reduction now so I want to do this at the same time and ditch the stupid brake booster. That hard line near the battery annoys the sporf outta me!

EDIT: How hard is the pipe to cut? Any special tools needed?
I used a Ridgid tubing cutter to cut the line, but a hacksaw (or similar) would work. That would be a crude cut though, and edges probably should be filed.

You could use a longer hose to the brake booster, and not have to bend the clutch line.

I will try to explain this method in words (no time right now to do a picture). After NG, and I hopefully I have some more time, I might try to document this better.

To do what you are proposing --> there will be a stock line from driver's side of intake (with checkvalve) to the "T" hidden behind brake booster. One side of that "T" will remain stock and go to clutch booster. The other side of the "T" will be cut at some point, and a new hose will run to brake booster.

Note that the only difference to this method and mine, is that I did not have to buy any extra hose, I used the stock hose to brake booster. . . . but if you have no means to bend the tubing, a longer hose could be used.

Either way, you can eliminate the hard line that goes by the battery,

If that explanation did not make sense, let me know, and I will try again.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
3S Owner since '04

Drives: until bearings spin
jba3 Level 1jba3 Level 1
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

That makes perfect sense and is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'll take pics of it sometime next week when I can get my hands on a camera and I'll post it up. Thanks!!!
jba3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 10:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: VR4 & RT/TT
davebearclaw Negative 3
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Thanks for doing this writeup, I finally have a decent clutch again. :-)
davebearclaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 07:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: Dodge Stealth R/T TT
Felipe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Thanks for showing this....I will be doing this after my tranny is rebuilt
Old 07-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 2 wheels
Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2
Feedback Score: 117 reviews

so the accumulator isn't necessary? what happens if you do an emergency stop pushing the clutch and brake at the same time?
Black_Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in