Td04 install - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

tripledark is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Td04 install

Can I install turbos from the top of the engine?I dont have a lift and it appears easier for me or do I have to go underneath the car?

Mods: Custom Cat back exhaust, dejon pipe, MBC set at 15.5psi(9B'S), 15g's here, 550cc injectors, apexi afc, stillen air kit, ngk plugs, 3sx stainless downpipe, walbro 341l fuel pump, afc, 550cc injectors, eibach springs, 19x9'' Gewalt triple black rims. 265/30 Dunlop SP9000(STOLEN).Kosei k3 rims now, 255/40 x 18x8.5 bridgestone potenzas, ceramic brake pads, Greddy BOV, maaco paint job, removed active aero, antenna, active aero module, spoiler and washer motors and tank, removed rear wiper and motor, ecs, rear seats and seatbelts, spare tire.
tripledark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '91 VR4
PhailosaurusRex is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Re: Td04 install

I've only done the front and many things I simply couldn't get to from the top. Put it up on stands and go to town, make sure you have new gaskets before you take anything off though.
PhailosaurusRex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

Drives: 1993 Stealth R/T TT
gawdzinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

With respect to the rear turbo, the oil drain lines are on the oil pan and the rear one has to be accessed from below. Also some of the rear turbo exhaust bolts require the rear heat shield to be removed and the heat shield has a lower rear bolt that is a real pain to access, I think that has to be done from underneath.
With respect to the front turbo, I believe that the oil drain lines and turbo exhaust bolts have to be done from underneath.
I have heard of guys changing only the cold side of the turbo and leaving the oil lines attached to the oil pan and the hot side of the turbo attached to the exhaust system, but I've not tried that myself.
Are you changing both turbo's entirely? or can you leave the hot side and oil lines attached?

Mods from stock:
Reproduction 1996 Stealth spoiler, VMS 10mm spark plug wires with their aluminum separators, NGK BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs gapped to 0.32", Touren TR9 3190 wheels, Maximal high flow main catalytic converter, PowerStop front/rear slotted & drilled brake rotors and pads, Tiny catch can, Curt trailer hitch, 2nd gen rear bumper aluminum reinforcement, LED backup & license plate & interior bulbs, Pioneer AVH-X2500BT with backup camera, DSM SMICs converted by oohnoo, 3S warehouse sidemount oil cooler, EVO 8/9 blow off valve, EGR blockoff plates, Vented hood blister mod, Stainless bolt kit, LCDBC as an ECU monitor, 3SX Stainless-Steel Braided Brake Lines, 3SX Door Sills, High speed cooling fan mod, Retractable license plate holder, 3SX rear control arms, Snake eye mod, Pilot WI-HL6A 4656 Head Lamp Conversion Kit, K&N oil filter, Stant XACTSTAT #48217 thermostat, DNP Y pipe, Maximal 5-Speed Transfer Case Bracket, ACPT carbon fiber driveshaft
gawdzinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

I planned on just leaving the oil lines intact if I could. I know you are supposed to swap them but I should be ok.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93 VR4
striker3 Level 1striker3 Level 1striker3 Level 1
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

The front oil drain line has to come out with the turbo as the bolts at the turbo side are blocked by the front motor mount bracket. This requires removing the drain line from the pan from under the car. Also, the rear turbo has one bolt that goes in from the bottom that needs to be accessed from below with a long extension.
striker3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

3KGT-VR4-93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

wat?

Jackstands are these cars natural habitat. Get used to it.

Your life would be alot more dificult trying to do it from above only. Not worth trying. I know I just did 19T's!
3KGT-VR4-93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker3 View Post
The front oil drain line has to come out with the turbo as the bolts at the turbo side are blocked by the front motor mount bracket. This requires removing the drain line from the pan from under the car. Also, the rear turbo has one bolt that goes in from the bottom that needs to be accessed from below with a long extension.

good point striker3! Shawn's video points that out too, and the front turbo is actually easier to remove than the rear turbo lol

Last edited by gawdzinner; 05-14-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Ok , thanks. Which gaskets do I need for the underneath? Cat? What else? I bought the top gaskets kit.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

in my experience engine gasket kits do not include the gasket that sits between the pre-catalytic converter and the downpipe. you may be able to reuse the existing gasket, if it's not torn up. otherwise you can take the old one to your local auto parts store and see if they can match it up.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

What other underneath car gaskets do I need? Do I need to unbolt the headers to get to the rear turbo? Thnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country