Spark Plugs and Plug Gap for E-85 and E-85/pump blends (blowout issues) - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2019, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: 91 3000GT VR4
jrhorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Spark Plugs and Plug Gap for E-85 and E-85/pump blends (blowout issues)

Hi All,

Main Question: What are recommended spark plugs and gap when running 50/50 blend of pump 91 and E-85 mix at about 15psi? Potentially full e-85 in the future. Stock ignition system.
Copper or platinum?
Gap?
Heat range?

More info: I seem to have always had an issue with spark blowout with this car, but I never really felt the need to run more than 11-12 psi because the car was my daily for the past 11 years. Well now that I have another daily, I have been experimenting with running E-85 blends, doing some of my own tuning/logging, and turning up the boost.

I had a shop replace the plugs and wires with a 3sx tune up kit (https://www.3sx.com/3sx-tune-up-kit-...-wires-gaskets) – MSD wires and platinum stuck NGK plugs. This helped a bit and I can now get to around 11-12 psi just fine with no blowout. As soon as I go even slightly higher, I can feel the blowout and see it in the logs. Its minor at ~13 psi and mostly under high load and high RPM. But if I try to go to ~15 psi it’s enough to make the car stutter and AFRs spike. I told the shop to gap these plugs to 0.028’’ (basically what I have seen on stealth316 and other places that should be good to 15 psi easily).

This is my first time running any amount of E-85 and although I don’t think that is the reason for my blowout (I experienced it long before on only 91), I know it could affect the gap required for the plugs. I plan to pull my injectors and get them flow tested/cleaned and put new plugs in at the same time. I don’t mind running copper now since I drive the car <1000 miles per year at this point. I will probably never go above 15-16psi, but I may eventually go full e-85. I am leaning toward doing stock plugs again and gapping down to 0.024’’, but am not sure if copper would be a better option since I don’t need longevity anymore.

If I replace the plugs and I still get blowout, then I figure I will proceed with considering the source of the issue to be ignition coils or PTU. Anything else to consider?

Full mods list below.
Gt-347 Turbo Kit (~13g)--RC 550cc Injectors--Denso Fuel Pump--Apexi S-AFC II--Turboxs Boost Controller--3sx Air Filter--DNP Stainless Intake Pipe Kit--Turboxs BOV--Autometer Boost Gauge--AEM UEGO Wideband O2--EK2 Downpipe--Gutted Precats--Testpipe--Polished VR-4 Plug Wire Cover, Valve Cover, & Plenum--Stage 2 Twin Turbo Clutch Kit--Full Bomex Body Kit

Last edited by jrhorne; 08-12-2019 at 10:24 PM.
jrhorne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum user

Default Re: Spark Plugs and Plug Gap for E-85 and E-85/pump blends (blowout issues)

Never got a response here but figured i would post a follow up in case someone searches.

I changed my spark plugs on Saturday and also pulled my 550cc injectors to be flow tested and cleaned. I was running the NGK PFR6J11 Iridium plugs. These only had a few thousand miles on them. However, even after putting those plugs in with new wires, I was still getting blowout. Even though i told the shop that installed them to gap to 0.028'', i found that 4 were 0.031'' and 2 here 0.035''. That actually made me feel a little better, because i am pretty confident now that the 2 with the larger gap were the source of my spark blowout - it didnt seem bad enough to be all 6. I also measured the resistance of all the spark plug wires and they were well within spec.

I ended up going with NGK 4091 R5671A-7 after reading some threads and the notes here (https://www.rvengeperformance.com/20...commendations/). I gapped them down to 0.026’’ and will see how that goes. I am feeling pretty confident now after finding 2 plugs with a large gap, switching to copper non-resistor, and lowering the gap.

I did find quite a bit of deposits on 4 of the 6 plugs (not correlated with the two that had the larger gap, I checked). Key picture is below and more full size are at the link here (https://imgur.com/a/OCUDSHs). I think perhaps the white specs are from a E-85 fuel stabilizer I was adding a little bit of since I started running 50/50 E-85 and pump 91. I also know my VSS are pretty shot because I get smoke on decal, so that could be contributing to some buildup as well. Picture shows spark plugs in order – front of engine on the right side.

Any thoughts on these? Nothing looks terrible, but interesting that 2 look much cleaner than the rest.

Will post another update after i get the fuel injectors back, put everything back together, and try running 15psi again.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elevate

Drives: '95 3000gt VR-4
vSol Level 1vSol Level 1
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Default Re: Spark Plugs and Plug Gap for E-85 and E-85/pump blends (blowout issues)

.024 on NGK racing coppers and carry on with your life. I believe you'd want a 7 heat range. maybe 8 on e85 but idk how that works since you're not running much boost

lots of guys on e85 running .018 (but with high boost). I run .024 on 93/meth and 21-22psi, no blow out. Magnacore wires. I've never messed with the platinum or iridium plugs as there seems to be no need when proven builds are pushing 6xx-7xx hp on coppers without any ignition hiccups.

I'm not sure with what boost level, but I know e85 guys usually run those Kenne Bell boost-a-pumps when it's time to up the boost

Old 08-17-2019, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum user

Quick Update:

Finally got the car back together aftering changin the plugs to the copper NGK 4091 R5671A-7 gapped to 0.026''. (I was waiting for injector flow test and clean). Took the car for a quick test drive and no more stuttering or spark blowout. Seems to pull hard on the exact same boost (13-14psi) that was blowing out pretty bad before.

I was worried about going small gap because of people complaining about idle, but ill never look back now. Coppers at small gap FTW (and yes i know 0.026 is not that small, but compared to stock).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in