Rebuilt Motor Startup Issues - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2019, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: '94 VR-4 w/JDM motor
Hackurs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Default Rebuilt Motor Startup Issues

Hey guys, quick question- the car is fully assembled, and it even starts.....sort of. We tried starting it up with the AEM EMS, and it instantly blasted up to 5k rpm and held there steady. The throttle wasn't stuck, no real issues, but we couldn't shut off the engine. Tried the ignition, didn't work, then pulled the battery leads, and a lot of the fuses, but it kept running, so I then yanked the plugs into the EMS and that finally killed it. We reconnected everything, and I swapped in the original ECM, and now it has issues staying started, runs rough, surges a couple times, backfires a bit, and dies. Should I focus on the EMS, or ECM to troubleshoot, and what do I need to do for the selected choice? Doesn’t seem like it would be the spark plugs due to it running so well on the EMS, so not sure what is quite happening. Thanks for the help!
Hackurs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessive Carpolsive

Drives: 1992 3000GT VR4
CntrlSwitch is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Default Re: Rebuilt Motor Startup Issues

I assume you did a boost leak check? Was one thought for the high idle.
CURRENT MODS: 15Gs l 8.5mm MSD Wires l NGK Plugs l 3G Lifters l K&N Filter l Drilled/Slotted Rotors l Odyssey Light Weight Battery l ECS Push Button Start l AEM Gauges: Oil, Tru Boost, Wideband l Custom Center Gauge Pod Bezel l IPS DP (elim Frnt Precat)/3" Test Pipe l 3SX Alum Radiator l Gutted Rear Precat l EVO IX MR BOV l Rear Subframe & Diff Bushings Poured 94A Poly l Camber Arms l Megan Coilovers l Skillard Underbody Guard l 5ZIGEN FN01R-C 17x9 l Solid Motor Mounts l AEM FPR l SAFC II l Fuel Pressure Gauge l Walboro Fuel Pump l Fuel Lab Filter l DSM 450cc Injectors l CXRacing Y Pipe l Maximal TC Brace l Maximal Setrab Oil Cooler l Ohnoo Dual Core FMIC l Tubular Front Crash Bar l Ignition Rewire

DELETE'S: Full AC l AWS l Rear Wiper l Clutch Vacuum l Power Antenna l Front Air Dam l Spare/Jack l Fuel Pump Resistor l Cruise Control l Power Steering l Evap l EGR l Alarm l AC Fan l ABS= 3485lbs

IN PROGRESS: ENJOYING!!!

Check out my CntrlSwitch How-To Videos
CntrlSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntrlSwitch View Post
I assume you did a boost leak check? Was one thought for the high idle.
Admittedly, I forgot to do that, but could it cause THAT high of an idle? I didnít think it would get that high.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
I've been here way too long

Drives: 91 tsi
donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

The only way for the idle to be that high is either an open throttle plate, or vacuum leak after the throttle body. A missing or backed out biss screw, clutch booster leak, or brake booster leak is probably the culprit.
donniekak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniekak View Post
The only way for the idle to be that high is either an open throttle plate, or vacuum leak after the throttle body. A missing or backed out biss screw, clutch booster leak, or brake booster leak is probably the culprit.
Thanks Donnie! Would that also explain the difference between the EMS and ECM as well? I could see how unmeasured airflow would screw with the ratio and cause it to predetonate and stall, or am I off my nut there?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Vendor

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3
Feedback Score: 124 reviews

Make the throttle is closed and that the throttle cable hasn't popped out and got hung up.

Getrag Rebuilds, Strength, and Performance Improvements, Performance Parts, including AEM EMS, ACT Clutch, Southbend Clutch, Spec Clutch,
3000GT Fuel Injector Guide, Walbro, Snow Performance, OEM Mitsubishi Parts, Getrag Parts, Synchros, much more!

Chris @ Rvenge Performance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris @ Rvenge Performance View Post
Make the throttle is closed and that the throttle cable hasn't popped out and got hung up.
That was my first thought as well when it was revving that high. Looked good, no issues, seated properly with proper tension on the cable.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
I've been here way too long

Drives: 91 tsi
donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackurs View Post
Thanks Donnie! Would that also explain the difference between the EMS and ECM as well? I could see how unmeasured airflow would screw with the ratio and cause it to predetonate and stall, or am I off my nut there?
With aem and speed density the airflow isnít measured, itís calculated from manifold pressure, air temp, and rpm.
donniekak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniekak View Post
With aem and speed density the airflow isnít measured, itís calculated from manifold pressure, air temp, and rpm.
Gotcha, so an unregulated air flow after the throttle body wouldnít stop the EMS, it would compensate fuel to much the manifold pressure, hence the 5k idle, but it would mess with the ECM which does measure airflow? Am I understanding that right?
Old 06-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 92 RT/TT, 96 Cobra
RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3
Feedback Score: 50 reviews

I see two problems in this post... 1: where is all the air coming from? 2: Why isn't the MPFI turning off?

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in