Please school me on wastegate pressure - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

Drives: 1993 Stealth R/T TT
gawdzinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Default Please school me on wastegate pressure

I always thought/believed that a turbo's wastegate would only open when the boost soleniod diverted some engine boost to the wastegate, and even then the engine boost pressure had to be an amount greater than the wastegate setting (eg 6lbs of boost for an OEM wastegate). When open, the wastegate would reduce the exhaust gas going to the hot side so the turbo won't over-spin. I was happy in my simple wastegate belief/understanding but I've read posts about wastegates where the user says:

1) "I'm running my boost at wastegate pressure". WTF does that mean? Does it mean you are running only 6lbs of boost? In other words, you've set your boost pressure to a max of 6lbs?

2) "My wastegate can hold 16lbs". WTF does that mean? Why do you want a wastegate that doesn't open when the standard 6lbs of boost pressure are sent from the wastegate solenoid? Is this so that your wastegate doesn't unexpectedly fly open when you are running lots of boost?

Mods from stock:
Reproduction 1996 Stealth spoiler, VMS 10mm spark plug wires with their aluminum separators, NGK BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs gapped to 0.32", Touren TR9 3190 wheels, Maximal high flow main catalytic converter, PowerStop front/rear slotted & drilled brake rotors and pads, Tiny catch can, Curt trailer hitch, 2nd gen rear bumper aluminum reinforcement, LED backup & license plate & interior bulbs, Pioneer AVH-X2500BT with backup camera, DSM SMICs converted by oohnoo, 3S warehouse sidemount oil cooler, EVO 8/9 blow off valve, EGR blockoff plates, Vented hood blister mod, Stainless bolt kit, LCDBC as an ECU monitor, 3SX Stainless-Steel Braided Brake Lines, 3SX Door Sills, High speed cooling fan mod, Retractable license plate holder, 3SX rear control arms, Snake eye mod, Pilot WI-HL6A 4656 Head Lamp Conversion Kit, K&N oil filter, Stant XACTSTAT #48217 thermostat, DNP Y pipe, Maximal 5-Speed Transfer Case Bracket, ACPT carbon fiber driveshaft

Last edited by gawdzinner; 07-09-2019 at 06:01 PM.
gawdzinner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Vendor

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3
Feedback Score: 124 reviews
Default Re: Please school me on wastegate pressure

The wastegate rating is the approximate amount the wastegate will open if it is supplied boost directly without a boost controller in the way. A 15 PSI wastegate spring may crack at 13 and be fully open at 15, but testing on your combo is the only way to really know what effective boost you'll see. This is what people mean they are running "wastegate" pressure.

Once you start to interrupt the signal you are over wastegate pressure. The reason for stiffer springs is at ratios much higher than say about 3 times your spring pressure the gates will start to blow open if you have it set higher.

That's not to say people haven't run more than 18 psi on stock 6 psi springs, but you will run into issues holding the wastegates shut at some point, especially with the extremely high exhaust back pressure you will see at high boost and a stock frame turbo.

Getrag Rebuilds, Strength, and Performance Improvements, Performance Parts, including AEM EMS, ACT Clutch, Southbend Clutch, Spec Clutch,
3000GT Fuel Injector Guide, Walbro, Snow Performance, OEM Mitsubishi Parts, Getrag Parts, Synchros, much more!

Chris @ Rvenge Performance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drweldin Level 1Drweldin Level 1
Feedback Score: 176 reviews

As Chris described - it's more of a mechanical limitation of the spring vs. an air pressure signal, thing.
Drweldin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

thanks guys!

Am I correct in saying that the stock (OEM) wastegate solenoid applies boost pressure to the small connection on the wastegate? Or is the wastegate solenoid actually applying vacuum to the small connection on the wastegate?

Chris, I didn't realize that some guys don't connect to the small connection on the wastegate and the wastegate just opens itself, did I read that correctly?
Old 07-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drweldin Level 1Drweldin Level 1
Feedback Score: 176 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawdzinner View Post
thanks guys!

Am I correct in saying that the stock (OEM) wastegate solenoid applies boost pressure to the small connection on the wastegate? Or is the wastegate solenoid actually applying vacuum to the small connection on the wastegate?

Chris, I didn't realize that some guys don't connect to the small connection on the wastegate and the wastegate just opens itself, did I read that correctly?
Its applying boost (positive pressure) to open it.
Drweldin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 92 RT/TT, 96 Cobra
RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3
Feedback Score: 50 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawdzinner View Post
thanks guys!

Just to muddy the water a little more... The stock system works by feeding constant boost pressure to the gates via a metered orifice, and the solenoid increases boost by bleeding off some of that pressure.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

thanks again guys, based on what you've provided, here is what I have gathered for the answers to my 2 questions...

1) "I'm running my boost at wastegate pressure". WTF does that mean? Does it mean you are running only 6lbs of boost? In other words, you've set your boost pressure to a max of 6lbs? Yes, it means that there is no boost control soleniod so the wastegate will fully open when the boost pressure exceeds the limit of the wastegate spring.

2) "My wastegate can hold 16lbs". WTF does that mean? Why do you want a wastegate that doesn't open when the standard 6lbs of boost pressure are sent from the wastegate solenoid? Is this so that your wastegate doesn't unexpectedly fly open when you are running lots of boost? Yes, similar to question #1, upgrading the wastegate spring rate will reduce the chance of the wastegate "partially" opening.

Last edited by gawdzinner; 07-09-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pro xfercase destroyer

Drives: One quick Spyder VR4
mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

Technically, the stock boost control setup feeds plenum pressure (or vacuum) to the wastegates (not “boost pressure”), and the stock solenoid bleeds some of that air back into the intake when the ECU energizes the solenoid to raise the measured load towards the current load target.

With that design, if the solenoid fails then you end up with lowered boost instead of increased boost.
mjannusch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 11:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 92 RT/TT, 96 Cobra
RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3
Feedback Score: 50 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjannusch View Post
Technically, the stock boost control setup feeds plenum pressure (or vacuum) to the wastegates (not “boost pressure”), and the stock solenoid bleeds some of that air back into the intake when the ECU energizes the solenoid to raise the measured load towards the current load target.

With that design, if the solenoid fails then you end up with lowered boost instead of increased boost.
Stock system is fed off the Y-pipe... Never sees vacuum. Solenoid is normally closed, and feeding full boost pressure to the gates. ECU can cycle the solenoid and bleed off the boost signal pressure, and increase overall boost level.
RealMcCoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

thanks for the further responses!

I was not really questioning how the stock boost solenoid gets it's positive boost pressure "reference" for determining when open the stock wastegates (eg at the Y-pipe or at the upper plenum), or how/if the stock boost solenoid bleeds off positive boost pressure (positive pressure, not vaccuum) prior to applying positive boost pressure to open the wastegates. Though it's all good information, I'm not smart enough to understand how to apply what you guys provided, but i was trying to make sense of it by looking at the picture in Blackstealth's LCDBC pdf, but again I'm not smart enough lol

the LCDBC picture looks like the stock boost solenoid sends it's positive boost pressure to the front/rear wastegates in addition to the Y-pipe all at the same time (3-way splitter?), while getting the positive boost pressure "reference" from the upper plenum, is that what you guys are describing?

lcdbc instructions for installing the boost controller are in this PDF-->http://lcdbc.xp3.biz/InstallationEBC.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Please school me on wastegate pressure-lcdbc_pic.jpg  

Last edited by gawdzinner; 07-10-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country