Overheat Damage Checklist - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2015, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: '94 VR-4 w/JDM motor
Hackurs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Default Overheat Damage Checklist

OK, so I was working on the car, and had drained the coolant out for the work. I replaced it from what I THOUGHT was my 75/25 bottle of coolant that I made, but it turns out, it was pure antizfreeze. Needless to say, that shit boiled off really quick, halfway to Kansas City. I drove about 5-7 miles on it from when I noticed the burning rubber smell, then promptly pulled over and popped the hood, to find EVERYTHING steaming/smoking. Took off the oil cap, it was even smoking in there.

Long story short, I towed it home, let it cool off and replaced the following:

-Oil and Oil Filter
-Coolant
-Thermostat
-Coolant Reservoir (there was a hole in the cap, where most of the coolant boiled out)

The car starts and runs fine, and I didn't see any metal shavings in the oil when I drained it. Is there anything else I should check before I call it safe to drive again?
Hackurs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93 VR4, 91 GTO
68Whiskey is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Default Re: Overheat Damage Checklist

Depending on how long you were driving while overheating, you may have warped your heads. Do everything properly and see if you overheat again or lose coolant. If not, consider yourself lucky!

68WM6
Old 10-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Verified Seller

What else is there that I should do? Not sure what else to check, as everything seems alright?

There was also no cross contamination between the oil and coolant too. Forgot to mention that.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
It's a dry heat!

Drives: 98 3KSL GenCoupe2.0T
captb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Make sure you get all the air bled out of the system and fans kick in.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

Drives: 1993 Stealth R/T TT
gawdzinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

weird, so running pure antifreeze (100% antifreeze) will boil over?
I thought that only running pure water (100% water) will boil over.

Mods from stock:
Extreme Dimensions reproduction 1996 Stealth spoiler, VMS 10mm spark plug wires with their aluminum separators, NGK BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs gapped down to 0.32", Touren TR9 3190 wheels, Maximal high flow main catalytic converter, PowerStop front/rear slotted & drilled brake rotors with pads, T-bolt stainless clamps, Curt trailer hitch, 2nd gen rear bumper aluminum reinforcement, LED backup & license plate bulbs, Pioneer AVH-X2500BT with backup camera, DSM SMICs converted by oohnoo, 3S warehouse sidemount oil cooler, EVO 8/9 blow off valve, EGR blockoff plates, Vented hood blister mod, Rebuilt stock throttle body, Stainless bolt kit, LCDBC as an ECU monitor, 3SX Stainless-Steel Braided Brake Lines, 3SX Door Sills, High speed cooling fan mod, Retractable license plate holder, 3SX rear control arms, Snake eye mod, Pilot WI-HL6A 4656 Head Lamp Conversion Kit, K&N oil filter, Stant XACTSTAT #48217 thermostat, DNP Y pipe, Maximal 5-Speed Transfer Case Bracket
gawdzinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2015, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Fans definitely kick on, and I burped the hoses, and I'm letting it cool, and then I'll put in more coolant.

If memory serves, pure antifreeze actually has a lower boiling temp than water.

EDIT: Let me clarify the immediate above statement- the higher viscosity and features of ethylene glycol make the exchange of heat far lower than water for transport of the energy away from the motor. In turn, the motor heats up, and eventually the antifreeze is forced to follow suit. The more correct term is antifreeze has a lower boiing point IN PRACTICE compared to water in the pressurized cooling system. Technically though, it has a higher boiling point than water, but for the application, it boils faster.

Can anyone proof me on that?

Last edited by Hackurs; 10-16-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
It's a dry heat!

Drives: 98 3KSL GenCoupe2.0T
captb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

The more antifreeze the hotter they run, tested it many times in the 70s. Just get premix or run 50/50 with non mineral water.
captb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2015, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93 VR4, 91 GTO
68Whiskey is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackurs View Post
Fans definitely kick on, and I burped the hoses, and I'm letting it cool, and then I'll put in more coolant.

If memory serves, pure antifreeze actually has a lower boiling temp than water.

EDIT: Let me clarify the immediate above statement- the higher viscosity and features of ethylene glycol make the exchange of heat far lower than water for transport of the energy away from the motor. In turn, the motor heats up, and eventually the antifreeze is forced to follow suit. The more correct term is antifreeze has a lower boiing point IN PRACTICE compared to water in the pressurized cooling system. Technically though, it has a higher boiling point than water, but for the application, it boils faster.

Can anyone proof me on that?
I believe you are correct. It has a lower freezing point BUT also a lower boiling point IN PRACTICE. it doesn't have the same heat exchange properties as Distilled Water.

68WM6
68Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

Drives: 1993 Stealth R/T TT
gawdzinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

good article here--> Things you should know about coolant | hellafunctional

essentially running 100% antifreeze does not reduce the boiling point, rather it greatly reduces the heat transfer capability. This, in theory would then cause the car to overheat.
gawdzinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawdzinner View Post
good article here--> Things you should know about coolant | hellafunctional

essentially running 100% antifreeze does not reduce the boiling point, rather it greatly reduces the heat transfer capability. This, in theory would then cause the car to overheat.
Technically, it'll boil over first, THEN the car will overheat, but yes, that's basically what I was saying when I clarified 'lowering boiling point'.

Speaking of boiling over, I just tested the car out. It starts up, seems to run fine, but something happens that I don't understand. The coolant temp sensor reads no higher than 182*, but the coolant is boiling over and out of the reservoir, along with lots of steam. Now granted, the reservoir IS way overfull. Like, to the brim overfull. But I can also hear a popping from the coolant cap, and small drops of coolant escape around the seal. So what is faulty? The temp sensor, or some other part on the coolant system? doesnt make sense. The rest of the motor seems to be functioning just fine, but I don't have a way to read the oil or EGT, so I don't really have any other way to measure the temp of the motor.

Or is that boiling over normal due to excessive coolant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country