old school exhaust vs. newer stuff - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2019, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Jnelsonjnt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default old school exhaust vs. newer stuff

What types of exhaust do you guys run. Miss the good ole days of the plentiful options. Personally my fav so far has been the first Tanabe DP, before the flex, and 5zigen Max Boarder. IMHO best sounding and performing combo. Thinking a bout A'pexi bomer3, anyone have or seen that exhaust installed. Reminds me of the HKS dragger.
Jnelsonjnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2019, 04:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: '93 Stealth TT
WAYNECAR is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Default Re: old school exhaust vs. newer stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnelsonjnt View Post
What types of exhaust do you guys run. Miss the good ole days of the plentiful options. Personally my fav so far has been the first Tanabe DP, before the flex, and 5zigen Max Boarder. IMHO best sounding and performing combo. Thinking a bout A'pexi bomer3, anyone have or seen that exhaust installed. Reminds me of the HKS dragger.
I'm still on the "Old School" system. I have no pre-cats/main cat, ATR DP and HKS Super Dragger. Except for the almost comical over-sizing of the canister and tip, I really like this set-up. Quiet and deep at low rpm with no drone, yet it really wails at high rpm with 18+ lbs of boost. Not sure what I will replace it with if it ever fails.
Wayne
DR650R TURBOS,TITAN HEADER,DSM SMIC,LUCAS 550 INJ,WALBRO FUEL PUMP,SNOW PERFORMANCE STAGE 2 METH KIT(625 Jet),APEXI S-AFC,APEXI S-ITC,HKS EZ BOOST CONTROLLER,AEM UEGO WIDEBAND,AUTOMETR BOOST GAUGE,ATRDOWNPIPE,HKS SUPER DRAGGER EXHAUST,RPS STREET MAX FULL FACE CLUTCH,300M OS,18" X 9" SSR GT1 WHEELS,3SX POLISHED ENGINE BAY.
WAYNECAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1992 3000GT VR4
Warzone is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

My favorite exhausts for these cars are:

Stock Active Exhaust with no Cats, and 3" Downpipe. Zero Drone, aggressive, but well mannered, has more of a classic supercar sound. Reminds me a bit of a XJ220.

Anything with a HKS Carbon Ti Muffler, so old IPS, ICH, Home made exhaust, etc. You can buy the mufflers from HKS still, but they are like $400+. However they will never burn up, drone is minimal even if that is all you have, not to loud either, and give the car a really nice sound - It reminds me of what a BPU modified, but still Twin Turbo Supra sounds like. Very smooth and mellow tone, but clearly not 4 cylinder sounding.

Tanabe Touring Exhaust, similar to the HKS sound, a little bit more natural 6G72 tone, Also a little quieter and more well mannered in general, but not loud by any means, however you will hear it.looks much cleaner, less ricecar, more adult, then the Medallion's hideous dual fart cans, or the single shot fart can like the IPS/ICH exhausts.

Borla Exhaust alot like a Active Exhaust catback in terms of sound with no cats and a downpipe, but more aggressive sounding, still well mannered enough for street use, and won't piss off the neighbors unless they are just prudes or you are being obnoxious.

If you really want old school, the OG HKS Quad Tip that was devoloped when our cars were brand new in the early 90s - I've never heard one, but I've been told they are about on par with a stock exhaust, but a cleaner/smoother tone. I've never found one, I would love one though - I wonder how hard it would be to get HKS to build them again.

When it comes to exhausts, I somehow managed to age about 40 years in the last 2 years. I do not like loud, absolutely cannot tolerate drone, and I hate obscure looking exhausts. I like clean looking, appropriate sized, straight out the back dual/single tips. no JDMhotboy angles or massive 4", more importantly it has to fit just as well, if not better than stock.
Warzone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Resident Street Racer

NOMIEZVR-4 Level 1NOMIEZVR-4 Level 1NOMIEZVR-4 Level 1
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

IPS Quad tip on TT setup is the best IMO. Not for the faint of heart though. Its vicious and loud. 2nd place is OEM catback with no cats and 3" downpipe.

96 Single Turbo 3000GT VR-4
NOMIEZVR-4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Resident Street Racer

NOMIEZVR-4 Level 1NOMIEZVR-4 Level 1NOMIEZVR-4 Level 1
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

more gen1 IPS footage on the white 97
NOMIEZVR-4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 11:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1992 3000GT VR4
Warzone is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah the IPS Quad Tip is simply just too loud for anything that isn't a race car, especially the GEN 1 and the tips are right on the edge of looking to big and cartoonish IMO
Warzone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2019, 01:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 96 Spyder
Habu racing is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone here have or have seen the A'pexi bomber exhaust? found a killer deal if not for the shipping from Japan. I think I may go that route unless I fab my own.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
One fix at a time

Drives: 95 RT/TT
TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2
Feedback Score: 40 reviews

I have an old school JIC Twin Spartan SS dual exhaust but it looks a lot like the Tanabe Blue and all the big can knockoff dual exhausts. I've been considering going with a different look either building quad tips or maybe trying out the Tanabe Touring Medallion.
TurboSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Vendor

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3
Feedback Score: 124 reviews

The touring medallion is an awesome, mellow, but mean sounding exhaust. It does have pretty big tips, but I think it sounds really good and its very high quality.

Getrag Rebuilds, Strength, and Performance Improvements, Performance Parts, including AEM EMS, ACT Clutch, Southbend Clutch, Spec Clutch,
3000GT Fuel Injector Guide, Walbro, Snow Performance, OEM Mitsubishi Parts, Getrag Parts, Synchros, much more!

Chris @ Rvenge Performance is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Jnelsonjnt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Click image for larger version

Name:	sm__bomber3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	268537

Thinking on going this route but 1k for a cat back? Actually only 500 but shipping and import tax double the price... only paid 680 for my 5zigen Boarder
Jnelsonjnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country