New Air Filter Lowered My Boost?!?! - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind

dblessing27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default New Air Filter Lowered My Boost?!?!

I recently bought a 93 vr4. Has ran fantastic for the couple months I have had it and still does. But here is the deal....I realized that the air filter that was currently in it was very old and dirty, so I decided to put a drop in, k&n filter in it to help the car breathe better than that dirty old one. With the old filter, on a hard pull I was pegging 14lbs but now with this new filter, I am lucky to hit 8-9lbs. I’ve looked everywhere in the car and on the internet for an explanation and I am stumped. What’s going on?
dblessing27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: 92' Stealth R/T TT
Sparkko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Air Filter Lowered My Boost?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblessing27 View Post
I recently bought a 93 vr4. Has ran fantastic for the couple months I have had it and still does. But here is the deal....I realized that the air filter that was currently in it was very old and dirty, so I decided to put a drop in, k&n filter in it to help the car breathe better than that dirty old one. With the old filter, on a hard pull I was pegging 14lbs but now with this new filter, I am lucky to hit 8-9lbs. Iíve looked everywhere in the car and on the internet for an explanation and I am stumped. Whatís going on?
Maybe you jostled one of the hoses loose that go to the turbos behind the intake? If not try swapping the old filter back in if you still have it. If the problem continues you'll know for sure it wasn't the cause.
Sparkko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2019, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: 91 3000GT VR4
jrhorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
I recently bought a 93 vr4. Has ran fantastic for the couple months I have had it and still does. But here is the deal....I realized that the air filter that was currently in it was very old and dirty, so I decided to put a drop in, k&n filter in it to help the car breathe better than that dirty old one. With the old filter, on a hard pull I was pegging 14lbs but now with this new filter, I am lucky to hit 8-9lbs. Iíve looked everywhere in the car and on the internet for an explanation and I am stumped. Whatís going on?
Are these numbers read from the stock gauge in the center cluster or from an actual boost gauge reading pressure? Does the car actually feel different? You would definitely be able to feel the difference between those two boost levels.

Also, check for boost leaks you may have caused as mentioned in the other post.
Gt-347 Turbo Kit (~13g)--RC 550cc Injectors--Denso Fuel Pump--Apexi S-AFC II--Turboxs Boost Controller--3sx Air Filter--DNP Stainless Intake Pipe Kit--Turboxs BOV--Autometer Boost Gauge--AEM UEGO Wideband O2--EK2 Downpipe--Gutted Precats--Testpipe--Polished VR-4 Plug Wire Cover, Valve Cover, & Plenum--Stage 2 Twin Turbo Clutch Kit--Full Bomex Body Kit
jrhorne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 10:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

Drives: 1993 Stealth R/T TT
gawdzinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

boost may be lower if there is an air intake leak after the MAF sensor (eg loose clamp).

Mods from stock:
Reproduction 1996 Stealth spoiler, VMS 10mm spark plug wires with their aluminum separators, NGK BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs gapped to 0.32", Touren TR9 3190 wheels, Maximal high flow main catalytic converter, PowerStop front/rear slotted & drilled brake rotors and pads, Tiny catch can, Curt trailer hitch, 2nd gen rear bumper aluminum reinforcement, LED backup & license plate & interior bulbs, Pioneer AVH-X2500BT with backup camera, DSM SMICs converted by oohnoo, 3S warehouse sidemount oil cooler, EVO 8/9 blow off valve, EGR blockoff plates, Vented hood blister mod, Stainless bolt kit, LCDBC with, Innovate Motorsports LC-2 wideband for monitoring, 3SX Stainless-Steel Braided Brake Lines, 3SX Door Sills, High speed cooling fan mod, Retractable license plate holder, 3SX rear control arms, Snake eye mod, Pilot WI-HL6A 4656 Head Lamp Conversion Kit, K&N oil filter, Stant XACTSTAT #48217 thermostat, DNP Y pipe, Maximal 5-Speed Transfer Case Bracket, ACPT carbon fiber driveshaft
gawdzinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind

dblessing27 is an unknown quantity at this point

I redid the maf system and put the filter in again. It seemed to help a little bit. It is now building about 14 pounds at higher rpms than before the new filter. With it being a higher air flow filter, I believe the car is running a little more lean. It pulls harder than before at lower rpms, just not building the boost. And yes, these readings are off of the stock gauge.
dblessing27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: 93 VR4
striker3 Level 1striker3 Level 1striker3 Level 1
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
I redid the maf system and put the filter in again. It seemed to help a little bit. It is now building about 14 pounds at higher rpms than before the new filter. With it being a higher air flow filter, I believe the car is running a little more lean. It pulls harder than before at lower rpms, just not building the boost. And yes, these readings are off of the stock gauge.

The stock gauge doesnt actually read boost. It is controlled by the ECU and is based on the MAF readings. As such, it is basically useless, especially when trying to determine boost levels.
striker3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 11:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: 91 3000GT VR4
jrhorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker3 View Post
The stock gauge doesnt actually read boost. It is controlled by the ECU and is based on the MAF readings. As such, it is basically useless, especially when trying to determine boost levels.
^ This is why i was asking if it's stock gauge. This is not an actual pressure reading.

You're basically trying to determine boost with a gauge that doesn't read boost pressure and your butt dyno lol. Just install a real boost gauge if you want to know boost pressure, and a wideband if you are conerned with AFRs, but your AFR should be fine from a drop-in filter only assuming no have no vacuum leaks after the MAF.
jrhorne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in