My DR750 surge fix using a Synapse synchronic diverter valve - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2019, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: 3000GT TT 1996
Unlogic is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Default My DR750 surge fix using a Synapse synchronic diverter valve

Like many other DR750 users before me (and other variants of larger TD04 turbos) I've had some serious problems with surging during acceleration at low RPM's in high gears and also some bucking problems when coming off the throttle under similar conditions.

Several years ago I purchased a Synapse synchronic diverter valve based on the feedback regarding these issues from the EVO forums. This valve has a multitude of ways in which you can configure it and for the first years I had it installed in push mode and used both nipples. In that configuration it was much better than my previous Forge BOV in but still not surge free in any way.

The trick is to get the valve to react quickly enough to dump air at low RPM and low boost before surge happens while at the same time stay closed during high boost.

After a recent race weekend where I spent 16 hours driving the car to and from the event I got fed up with the surge while cruising on the highway and decided to do something about it.

So during the past week I tried 7 different configurations of the Synapse synchronic and to my big surprise found a completely surge free configuration.

What worked for me was using the the valve in pull mode with the weaker of the two springs and only using the A port for vacuum/boost reference.

It feels really great to be able to accelerate at high gears and low RPM on the highway again without constantly having to watch out for surge and having to downshift to get into a higher RPM range. So I thought I'd share this configuration with any other 3/S owners fighting the same issue.

Here is a photo of my setup in the car and diagram of the valve itself.
Attached Thumbnails
My DR750 surge fix using a Synapse synchronic diverter valve-img_20190708_194506.jpg   My DR750 surge fix using a Synapse synchronic diverter valve-bov1.png  

Old 07-08-2019, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 94 vr4
billyfrancis40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Default Re: My DR750 surge fix using a Synapse synchronic diverter valve

Thanks for the info
Old 07-08-2019, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
1994 Mit 3000gt VR4 6spd

Drives: 1994 Mit 3kgt vr4
93stealthsohc is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

great write up robert
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]1994 Mitsubishi 3000gt VR4 122K(second owner): OEM Oil Cap, OEM Radiator Cap, PCV Valve, Greddy Magnetic Oil Drain Plug, Idle Air Screw & O-Ring, Ignition Coil, PTU, Oil Pick-Up Strainer, UNDENTED OIL PAN, Rotella 10W30, Red Line Drivetrain Fluid, 3SX Turbo Oil Line Kit, Ray's Bell Housing Brace, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, SPEC Clutch Stage 2+, PST 2pc. Aluminum+Steel Hybrid Driveshaft, 3SX Custom MSD 8.5mm Plug Wires, NGK Copper BKR7E-11 Spark Plugs, 3sx Fuel Rail Loop, 3sx Downpipe, 3sx Rear Pre-Cat Eliminator, Gutted Front Pre-Cat, LCDC Boost Controller, 3sx Y-Pipe, 3sx Pre-Turbo Intake Pipes, Supra Pump w/ 3sx hotwire, EGR Delete, Complete Emissions Delete, Rebuilt Stock Injectors (evotuner), Rebuilt Throttle Body(dbest671),

1994 dodge stealth sohc 5 spd junked...
93 stealth es atx Junked...

VR4 FOR SALE
93stealthsohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 02:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
SDSU Alumnus

Drives: VR-4, EVO VIII & X
bboyalan Level 1bboyalan Level 1bboyalan Level 1
Feedback Score: 44 reviews

Nicely done!

'10 EVO X SE - AEM WMI, COBB SF, K&N UICP, Tomei Titanium CBE - 300//350 on 91+Meth
'04 EVO VIII SSL - CBRD BBK Full turbo, full support, lots of suspension - 350 on Pump-E85
'92 VR-4 - Panda v.3 build - Fully built, AEM EMS S2, MHI EVO3 16G's - 536AWHP VD SAE on E85+Meth (for now)
"There are no secrets better kept than the secrets that everybody guesses."
bboyalan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 02:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: Dodge Stealth TT
JackBadBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Dude, thank you very much.... II just got my dr 750, which I have to instal...but Surge is what I am worried about. I went on their page, but there are numerious kits. Which one did you choose?
What about how to connect it, are there any instructions or what...?
Thanks man again for this information.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum user

They don't have a 3/S specific kit so I used their Evo kit and made a short aluminum pipe that goes between the intake bubble and the valve itself. Apart from that the install is very straight forward.

This is the kit I bought: http://synapseengineering.com/synaps...ic-dv-kit.html

I've attached some pictures of how I installed it on my car.
Attached Thumbnails
My DR750 surge fix using a Synapse synchronic diverter valve-img_20160707_193825.jpg   My DR750 surge fix using a Synapse synchronic diverter valve-img_20140907_153850.jpg   My DR750 surge fix using a Synapse synchronic diverter valve-img_20140907_133656.jpg  
Unlogic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 06:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum user

It should be noted that I mounted the valve right on the Y-pipe instead of the in the stock location. This might not work for those of you that still have the battery in the stock location.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
AR_VR4

Drives: 97 3000gt vr4
bigochevy82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Man this is great news! im running the DR650s and have this issue very bad. I made my own balance tube and it did not alleviate the problem. I am on speed density right now so I would be running open atmosphere. im wondering if I could run Synapses BOV rather than the DV in the same configuration that you have your system setup.
97 3000gt vr4 full BPU, AEM EMS V2, DR650 turbos w/forge wastegates, AEM v2 WMI kit, 1000cc ID injectors, 320 LPH AEM fuel pump, ninja performance aeromotive fuel kit, SPEC 4+ unsprung clutch. tenabe medallion concept G blue exhaust.
bigochevy82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2019, 05:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum user

I think this should work just as well for non recirculating setups but as I'm running a draw through setup I'm unable to test it properly as the dumped air makes the ECU very unhappy.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
AR_VR4

Drives: 97 3000gt vr4
bigochevy82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlogic View Post
I think this should work just as well for non recirculating setups but as I'm running a draw through setup I'm unable to test it properly as the dumped air makes the ECU very unhappy.
Yes I am on speed density. I am going to order the DV and vent it to atmosphere. I believe it should function fine theoretically. But the surging I am getting is awful. I cant stand it any more. I pray this fixes it. if not I still have Jeff Davis anti surge kit he developed I can put on but id like to try this first since its much less invasive to install.

Thank you much for the writeup man! Ill keep you updated if it alleviates my problem.
bigochevy82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in