Losing a significant amount of coolant under load. Bad head gasket? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International
 

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
Sparkko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: AL
Drives: 92' Stealth R/T TT
Sparkko is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Losing a significant amount of coolant under load. Bad head gasket?

I've been pulling my hair out trying to find a pretty significant coolant leak for about a month. I've replaced the thermostat, coolant temp sensors, and radiator cap recently as they were all cheap and aging parts. I've learned that I only lose coolant if I put the car under moderate to heavy load. It doesn't have to be WOT, but any time I go for a more sporty drive over 20 miles I lose nearly a half gallon of coolant. If I baby the car and keep the RPM below 3000 I do not lose any, or only lose very little coolant. There are no apparent leaks anywhere on the car and no puddles form. The car also does not lose coolant when it is not running. I can usually go for about 20 miles before my temp gauge starts jumping up and down from air being in the system / loss of coolant. The top radiator hose feels super tight and is almost ballooning when this happens. I think I'm going to come to the conclusion of a head gasket issue, but I have no coolant in my oil, no smoke from my exhaust, and the car only has 42,000 miles. You'd think a head gasket would last for at least a good 100,000 before it gives out. This almost seems like the symptoms that some have had with head lift, but my car is completely stock and not pushing high boost. Before I blow even more money, is there anything else this could be before I buy a combustion leak test and pressure tester?
Sparkko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-07-2019, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
dfz3000gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Drives: 97 VR4 & 98 SL TT
dfz3000gt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Default Re: Losing a significant amount of coolant under load. Bad head gasket?

You can rent/deposit those two tests from an auto parts store.

I have a similar issue that I caused myself from extended overheating. No outward signs of HG leak/warped head such as water in the oil or puddles but I definitely loose coolant if driven for while or during mild boost.
I borrowed the combustion tester from an auto parts store and it showed nothing, I even pressurized the system with another auto parts borrowed pressure tester and it held past 13lbs with no issue when cold. Warm might be different but didnt think to try at the time.
It only seems to leak when hot possibly out of a cylinder I guess since there's no other evidence.

Its the back up car and so far I'm to lazy to tear it down myself to prove the HG is bad but not much else it could be that I can find through searching the board.

Good luck with yours
dfz3000gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
Sparkko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: AL
Drives: 92' Stealth R/T TT
Sparkko is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Re: Losing a significant amount of coolant under load. Bad head gasket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfz3000gt View Post
You can rent/deposit those two tests from an auto parts store.

I have a similar issue that I caused myself from extended overheating. No outward signs of HG leak/warped head such as water in the oil or puddles but I definitely loose coolant if driven for while or during mild boost.
I borrowed the combustion tester from an auto parts store and it showed nothing, I even pressurized the system with another auto parts borrowed pressure tester and it held past 13lbs with no issue when cold. Warm might be different but didnt think to try at the time.
It only seems to leak when hot possibly out of a cylinder I guess since there's no other evidence.

Its the back up car and so far I'm to lazy to tear it down myself to prove the HG is bad but not much else it could be that I can find through searching the board.

Good luck with yours
Thanks, I've only had the car a couple months so I don't know if the previous owner caused this issue by letting the car overheat. I always get the car to a stopping point before the needle hits red. I don't know if I'm up for a head gasket change myself, and it's my second car so I'm taking my time.
Sparkko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2019, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
HOSS is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Default Re: Losing a significant amount of coolant under load. Bad head gasket?

sounds like the head gasket the coolant is being evaporated in the exhasut that is why you are not seeing the leak
HOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
My car is a money pit
 
futurevr4man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dayton Ohio
Drives: 93 VR4, Boosted FRS
futurevr4man Level 1futurevr4man Level 1futurevr4man Level 1
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Default Re: Losing a significant amount of coolant under load. Bad head gasket?

I had this exact same issue on mine... except I believe I lifted the heads (causes same symptoms/issues as bad HG). I drove from Indianapolis to Lex. KY (nearly 4 hours) with zero issue. Zero. I got into boost 1 time (when I was close to home) and it immediately started overheating.

Replace headgaskets and head bolts to be safe.
__________________
futurevr4man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
Sparkko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: AL
Drives: 92' Stealth R/T TT
Sparkko is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Re: Losing a significant amount of coolant under load. Bad head gasket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurevr4man View Post
I had this exact same issue on mine... except I believe I lifted the heads (causes same symptoms/issues as bad HG). I drove from Indianapolis to Lex. KY (nearly 4 hours) with zero issue. Zero. I got into boost 1 time (when I was close to home) and it immediately started overheating.

Replace headgaskets and head bolts to be safe.
I don't know if I'm up for a head gasket replacement on my own, but I can't find a shop around here that I would trust to work on this engine. What all must be removed in order to get to the head gasket? Will the timing belt have to come off?
Sparkko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Drives: 1991 Stealth SOHC
zskynyrd1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Re: Losing a significant amount of coolant under load. Bad head gasket?

Most probably a head gasket. Mine showed same symptons. It will be a very small passage between cylinders. If it is showing mist ou the tail pipe. Does it foam out the overflow after a long drive at high speed? One that I had was very hard to spot happened after a water pump failure. Replaced water pump. Then Could drive about 50 miles at 65 70mph before it would start to overheat. Gave no problems driving around town low speeds. Finally took it apart and it had very small damage to gasket between cylinders. Make sure to replace left and right while you have it apart. also tried combustion tester to no avail as it was going out the exhaust. You might try a cylinder leak tester. to pinpoint it. You say tthe car is stock has the water pump been replaced? or maybe a hose?

Last edited by zskynyrd1974; 05-10-2019 at 08:36 AM.
zskynyrd1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Money pit owner.
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Canada & a US PO Box
Drives: 1993 Stealth R/T TT
gawdzinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Default Re: Losing a significant amount of coolant under load. Bad head gasket?

Removing the heads is a big job on a dohc engine, even more work if it's turbo charged. Yes the timing belt has to come off. So you can start understanding the work involved by reading posts about timing belt removal/installation, and check out videos on YouTube then of course the exhaust has to come off.
When tearing down an original engine that far I'd do a valve job as well.
__________________
Built 2nd week of August 1992, 1993 Dodge Stealth R/T twin turbo (6g72 engine with stock TD04-9b turbochargers), pearl white exterior (W29), red leather interior, W5MG1 transaxle.

Mods from stock:
Extreme Dimensions reproduction 1996 Stealth spoiler, VMS 10mm spark plug wires with their aluminum separators, NGK BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs gapped down to 0.32", Touren TR9 3190 wheels, Maximal high flow main catalytic converter, PowerStop front/rear slotted & drilled brake rotors with pads, T-bolt stainless clamps, Curt trailer hitch, 2nd gen rear bumper aluminum reinforcement, LED backup & license plate bulbs, Pioneer AVH-X2500BT with backup camera, DSM SMICs converted by oohnoo, 3S warehouse sidemount oil cooler, EVO 8/9 blow off valve, EGR blockoff plates, Vented hood blister mod, Rebuilt stock throttle body, Stainless bolt kit, LCDBC as an ECU monitor, 3SX Stainless-Steel Braided Brake Lines, 3SX Door Sills, High speed cooling fan mod, Retractable license plate holder, 3SX rear control arms, Snake eye mod, Pilot WI-HL6A 4656 Head Lamp Conversion Kit, K&N oil filter, Stant XACTSTAT #48217 thermostat, DNP Y pipe, Maximal 5-Speed Transfer Case Bracket
gawdzinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 08:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
Sparkko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: AL
Drives: 92' Stealth R/T TT
Sparkko is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zskynyrd1974 View Post
Most probably a head gasket. Mine showed same symptons. It will be a very small passage between cylinders. If it is showing mist ou the tail pipe. Does it foam out the overflow after a long drive at high speed? One that I had was very hard to spot happened after a water pump failure. Replaced water pump. Then Could drive about 50 miles at 65 70mph before it would start to overheat. Gave no problems driving around town low speeds. Finally took it apart and it had very small damage to gasket between cylinders. Make sure to replace left and right while you have it apart. also tried combustion tester to no avail as it was going out the exhaust. You might try a cylinder leak tester. to pinpoint it. You say tthe car is stock has the water pump been replaced? or maybe a hose?
Doesn't foam out the overflow. The overflow level has remained constant for the most part, with the exception being the first time I noticed the car trying to over heat when I caught the coolant boiling in the overflow. The water pump was replaced during the 60k service which was done at 40,000 miles by the previous owner.
Sparkko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
 
Sparkko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: AL
Drives: 92' Stealth R/T TT
Sparkko is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawdzinner View Post
Removing the heads is a big job on a dohc engine, even more work if it's turbo charged. Yes the timing belt has to come off. So you can start understanding the work involved by reading posts about timing belt removal/installation, and check out videos on YouTube then of course the exhaust has to come off.
When tearing down an original engine that far I'd do a valve job as well.
Oh boy, looks like I'm in for a treat. Maybe I'll learn a few things in the process. Think I should go for new head bolts while I'm at it? I'm going to get a combustion tester to use this weekend and if it shows exhaust in my coolant I'll be tearing the engine down.

Last edited by Sparkko; 05-13-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Sparkko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country
(Required/Hidden)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weird lugging/misfiring at under 2000 RPM in high gears under load. Sparkko Engine - Turbo 6 03-04-2019 01:06 AM
Losing Coolant under load Mendoza General 22 04-19-2010 09:39 AM
breaking up under light load... perfect under load. WTF? THOR'SVR4 Engine - Non-Turbo 11 10-22-2009 02:42 PM
coolant loss under load??? gltasn General 16 09-21-2008 10:20 AM
Overheating, losing coolant = blown head gasket? dabigv13 Engine - Non-Turbo 13 12-29-2007 05:38 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2