Help diagnose engine knock on '91 VR4 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1991 3000GT VR4
vulture is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Help diagnose engine knock on '91 VR4

I am looking for input from you guys. I have a 1991 3000GT VR4 with low miles (41K) that I have spent a lot of time fixing up. It was working great but then the engine suddenly developed a loud knocking sound.

I first thought it might be a bad/stuck lifter. I had installed 3rd gen lifters a while ago but they have always been really noisy, so I figured now was a good time to try putting the original lifters back in place. I did that and the lifter tick improved a lot, but the louder knock did not change at all. I am now worried that this is rod knock. But the knock comes and goes, and I don't know what to make of it. I took a few videos...

Here's the intermittent knocking before the engine is fully warmed up (1:47): https://youtu.be/jy_tROPRgqs

This is after the engine is mostly warmed up, you can hear the mild lifter tick plus the underlying knocking (0:50): https://youtu.be/EIORxiiyUtM

And this is after the engine is fully warmed up - the knock is still intermittent (0:31): https://youtu.be/WrLXKIHAHIY

Thanks for taking the time to help me figure out what's going on. I am so bummed, I did a total redo of the brakes and installed new wheels and tires too a few months ago, and I can't even drive the damn car
vulture is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 92 RT/TT, 96 Cobra
RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Default Re: Help diagnose engine knock on '91 VR4

Rod bearing.... What you're most likely hearing, (and why it sounds like it's up higher) is the piston playing whack-a-mole with the head.

Another possibility that will make almost the same noise, is you dropped a foreign object (most commonly an intake lock washer) down the intake while servicing.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMcCoy View Post
Rod bearing.... What you're most likely hearing, (and why it sounds like it's up higher) is the piston playing whack-a-mole with the head.

Another possibility that will make almost the same noise, is you dropped a foreign object (most commonly an intake lock washer) down the intake while servicing.
Thanks Larry. I've had the oil pan off before so I can definitely get back to that point, just not sure about doing the rest of the job. I know everything has to be kept super clean. Aside from that, are the bearings a job that can be done by a do-it-yourself mechanic, without removing the engine? Would I want to do the full set of rod/main/thrust bearings? Or is my engine now damaged and needs to be removed and inspected?

Regarding foreign object...I removed the washers from the studs before removing the plenum (and then discarded the washers). I kept the intake covered at all times when working on the engine. Pretty sure that's not it, because I drove the car ~800 miles since the time when I last had the plenum off and there was no knock during that time.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 92 RT/TT, 96 Cobra
RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3
Feedback Score: 50 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
Thanks Larry. I've had the oil pan off before so I can definitely get back to that point, just not sure about doing the rest of the job. I know everything has to be kept super clean. Aside from that, are the bearings a job that can be done by a do-it-yourself mechanic, without removing the engine? Would I want to do the full set of rod/main/thrust bearings? Or is my engine now damaged and needs to be removed and inspected?

Regarding foreign object...I removed the washers from the studs before removing the plenum (and then discarded the washers). I kept the intake covered at all times when working on the engine. Pretty sure that's not it, because I drove the car ~800 miles since the time when I last had the plenum off and there was no knock during that time.
Can't hurt to pull the pan and diagnose the problem, but I'd be prepared for a rebuild. Crank usually gets pretty beat up when a bearing fails, and there's a good chance there's metal floating around that you don't want contaminating your repair,
RealMcCoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

Drives: 1993 Stealth R/T TT
gawdzinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

damn, that sux! odd that a car with such low mileage developed a knock. Is your oil pan dented? I'd also suggest removing the top timing covers and have a look at the timing belt while the engine is running on the off-chance that the issue is a worn out hydraulic tensioner.

Mods from stock:
Reproduction 1996 Stealth spoiler, VMS 10mm spark plug wires with their aluminum separators, NGK BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs gapped to 0.32", Touren TR9 3190 wheels, Maximal high flow main catalytic converter, PowerStop front/rear slotted & drilled brake rotors and pads, Tiny catch can, Curt trailer hitch, 2nd gen rear bumper aluminum reinforcement, LED backup & license plate & interior bulbs, Pioneer AVH-X2500BT with backup camera, DSM SMICs converted by oohnoo, 3S warehouse sidemount oil cooler, EVO 8/9 blow off valve, EGR blockoff plates, Vented hood blister mod, Stainless bolt kit, LCDBC as an ECU monitor, 3SX Stainless-Steel Braided Brake Lines, 3SX Door Sills, High speed cooling fan mod, Retractable license plate holder, 3SX rear control arms, Snake eye mod, Pilot WI-HL6A 4656 Head Lamp Conversion Kit, K&N oil filter, Stant XACTSTAT #48217 thermostat, DNP Y pipe, Maximal 5-Speed Transfer Case Bracket, ACPT carbon fiber driveshaft
gawdzinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawdzinner View Post
damn, that sux! odd that a car with such low mileage developed a knock. Is your oil pan dented? I'd also suggest removing the top timing covers and have a look at the timing belt while the engine is running on the off-chance that the issue is a worn out hydraulic tensioner.
The oil pan was dented when I got the car but it wasn't terrible. I did remove the pan and hammer it back out. At that time I could see the oil pickup wasn't damaged. I did the 60K service about 1500 miles ago and installed a new OEM hydraulic tensioner. So it shouldn't be worn out but maybe it came out of adjustment?

There were a couple of vacuum lines switched back then (not sure if I did it or the previous owner) and that was causing pretty big boost spikes (leading to fuel cutoff) before I figured it out. Maybe that contributed to rod bearing failure?
Old 05-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93 VR4
striker3 Level 1striker3 Level 1striker3 Level 1
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Check the timing belt tensioner before taking the oil pan off. A failed one can allow the tensioner pulley bracket to knock against the tensioner body and sound very similar to a rod knock and be intermittent (Ive had that scare once). You can even run the engine with all the timing covers off to watch and put a stethoscope on the tensioner. Just make sure to retain the crank timing cog in some manner (such as put the crank pulley back on).
striker3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
No longer in KY

Drives: 98 VR-4
kywhitelightning Level 1kywhitelightning Level 1kywhitelightning Level 1
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

Just drain the oil. If you see liquid gold in your oil, you have a rebuild or replacement in your future. If the oil is mostly metal free, check the timing tensioner as striker mentioned. Both are easy to check.

10.78 at 132 at 3900lbs on teeny tiny turbos.
kywhitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Thanks guys. I removed the upper timing covers and rotated the crankshaft...timing belt is tight and the timing marks line up fine. I drained the oil and I think it looks okay aside from being really dirty. There was just a bit of silver color draining out (see photo of oil pan drain). I didn't see any liquid gold color in the oil. Hoping to remove the lower timing cover tomorrow to have a look.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

I removed the lower timing cover. There is almost no space between the tensioner and pulley bracket. Does this mean the tensioner has failed?

In order to start the engine to watch the tensioner, I assume I need to reinstall the alternator bracket, support bracket, motor mount, etc first?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country