5 Speed T-Case Bracket - possible GB - Page 11 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2004, 11:56 AM   #101 (permalink)
Wrenchmonkey #839

Drives: Milfs crazy
John Monnin Level 2John Monnin Level 2John Monnin Level 2John Monnin Level 2John Monnin Level 2
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Default Re: 5 Speed T-Case Bracket - possible GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofA3GT
I'd also be interested one.

on a side note, if the 2nd gen ones are so much stronger why not up grade to their trans/transfercase? I mean I read alot of you guys upgrading to a kormex trans (3k) but why not go w/ a 2nd gen setup at that time? is it not a direct swap? do we have a better gear ratio?
That would be great but the bolt pattern is different. The aluminum transfer case wil only bolt to 5 speed tranny. The Steel transfer case will only bolt to 6 speed tranny.

Solidworks models of 3S engine parts: http://www.wrenchjockey.com/Images/Solids/3000gt2005/
John Monnin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2004, 12:45 PM   #102 (permalink)
college for a LONG time

Drives: out of control
UofA_VR4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I know it is cheaper to buy the bracket, I'm not disputing that. I'am also not saying don't buy the bracket, cause I want one. What I am asking is when it was time to upgrade to a Kromex trans wouldn't it be smart to just get a 2nd gen trans and and transfer case? And also buy your bracket....if a 2nd gen transfer case bracket were fabricated. I don't want to take this thread on a tangent I was just wondering why more people didn't do this when they were dropping the money on a better trans anyway. I'm just used to build 280z's and with the z you just take the best parts form 240 through 280zx models and put them all in one car. I was just trying to apply that thinking to the GT's. If a 1st gen transfer case w/ your bracket is strong, then a 2nd gen transfer case w/ your bracket is stronger.

Also if you still need a front section driveshaft I have one. email me and we'll take car of it. [email protected]
Old 07-30-2004, 12:50 PM   #103 (permalink)
Go Mountaineers!!

Drives: Tin Indian
HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2
Feedback Score: 39 reviews

Kormex tranny is not an upgrade. There's nothing special about it. There's a lot more involved with a 5 speed to 6 speed conversion than just the transaxle and transfer case. Need rear diff, rear axle, etc. It ain't exactly cheap to do.

Let's get back on topic please.

Jeremy
HilbillyHomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2004, 12:53 PM   #104 (permalink)
Wrenchmonkey #839

Drives: Milfs crazy
John Monnin Level 2John Monnin Level 2John Monnin Level 2John Monnin Level 2John Monnin Level 2
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofA3GT
I know it is cheaper to buy the bracket, I'm not disputing that. I'am also not saying don't buy the bracket, cause I want one. What I am asking is when it was time to upgrade to a Kromex trans wouldn't it be smart to just get a 2nd gen trans and and transfer case?
The overall gear ratio is different between 5 speed and 6 speed, so you also need to change rear differential or else you will burn up your VCU.

The length of the transfer case is different so you need a diffent drive shaft.

If you build a really high horspower car the 5 speed tranny is faster in the qtr mile because with a 5-speed you don't have to shift into 4th before crossing traps.

I have also heard that the 6 speed transmission is also more difficult to remove and install, I don't know why it must be bigger someplace that gets in the way.

Thats a lot of work and $$ when not many people break transfer cases, due to shock loads, in the first place.
John Monnin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2004, 02:00 PM   #105 (permalink)
college for a LONG time

Drives: out of control
UofA_VR4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

John Monnin thanks for the answer, that's all I was looking for.
UofA_VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2004, 03:23 PM   #106 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

ray pampena Level 2ray pampena Level 2ray pampena Level 2ray pampena Level 2ray pampena Level 2ray pampena Level 2
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

hello Jason and everyone, ive been really busy lately and havnt had a chance to post. from my experience, the brakets prolong the inevitable.
which yes is a good thing but not a "fix".

Jason your doing an excellent job here but it just needs to go further. the best way for me to sum it up would be this ie.

this is just for arguments sake and not to scale!! haha

no bracket 1 launch

factory bracket... 25 launches

factory bracket and the top bracket that i made... no difference exept when used on a previously cracked bell housing.

putting a longer bolt in the rear on a factory bracket...35 launches (one of the most common beakage problems as seen in the pics is that rear bolt tearing off)

welding an alunminum strap across the lower rear 2 bolt bosses on the transfer case close to the bell housing....75 launches eventually the whole transfer busted in half leaving the rear section with the brackets and welding all in tact. the lower middle boss tore right off the transfer staying connected to the rear. this also broke the tranny.

welding aluminum straps from first to second boss, then second to third boss (this is all on the bottom) and having brackets lasted far longer than any of the above.

the car is now gone and i never broke it but i do not know if it will last forever. there is no forever with these cars haha.

thats to sum up my hundeds of hours and $$ and dozens of passes at the track and on the street.

in addition to the bracket you have, you need to connect bosses 1,2,and 3 on the CENTER of the bosses. it can not just be on the outside because the bell housing will fail.

those are my results from 1999 untill now with countless 1.5-1.6 60ft runs.

also, kormex (HELLO FRANK!) is correct an the things he is saying. dont look over the basic things. i also dont like to post free info all that much anymore after that NG flamefest started because i happend to share my dyno #s and ets with the board then i ran like garbage because of car probs (12.3 @95 mph) NEVER AGAIN WILL I SHARE THAT KIND OF INFO.

good luck with this project though. just expand it some.

ray pampena
Old 07-30-2004, 03:30 PM   #107 (permalink)
Go Mountaineers!!

Drives: Tin Indian
HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2HilbillyHomeboy Level 2
Feedback Score: 39 reviews

Some damn good info. Thanks for your insight Ray.

Jeremy
HilbillyHomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2004, 04:58 PM   #108 (permalink)
Moe
FN QUICK

Moe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Has anyone ever tried using a 6 speed tranny/transfercase with 5spd rear? With the better rear gear ratio there would this not also improve acceleration? I would like to just plain not have to worry about breaking my transfercase and a 6spd looks like it might solve most of the problems.

Justin
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2004, 06:36 PM   #109 (permalink)
Gear Head

Drives: Rear wheels only...
Bret Brinkmann Level 1Bret Brinkmann Level 1
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Hey guys. Sorry to join the party so late but I have been busy too. (I know how it goes Ray.) All the advise given so far is sound. Frank, Ray, and the members who have broken 5 speed TCs all give valuable info regaurding TC failures. I'll especially back up the claim Frank makes to keep your TCs from leaking. If not to help prevent housing failure then to prevent lock up. They hold what? 1/3 of a qrt? Be safe and repair those TC leaks.

I would like to see the bracket on more than just one side of the TC personally. Why distribute the stress on one side only? I'll add a comment to the "Every thing you need to know about your AWD drive train" thread about this one in the next couple of days. If any of you have not read that thread you may want to do so now. Some good info is on there.

I do not mean to get off topic but CRS synchros are not solid steel. They are exactly OEM. I got htis info from John Davis and Gloria Lind both CRS employees. There is nothing wrong with Kormex synchros. I recommend the OEM ones from CRS mostly because they are cheaper. More on this subject as well as many other subjects can be found on the above mentioned thread.

250 RWHP

If you want the exploded views of both 5 and 6 speeds or pics e-mail me at [email protected].

94 VR-4 Panama Green Tan Interior
RPS II, gutted cats, flipped BPV, 3SX control arms, 3SX shift bushings, Red Line, Auto-Meter. Rebuilt TC, transaxle, steering rack, heads, and turbos. 360cc's blue printened with in 1%. New short block. RWD convertion and welded rear end.
Bret Brinkmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2004, 08:06 PM   #110 (permalink)
*Insert Evil Laughter*

Drives: 93 VR-4, 94StealthTT
Eric_VR-4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret Brinkmann
I'll add a comment to the "Every thing you need to know about your AWD drive train" thread about this one in the next couple of days. If any of you have not read that thread you may want to do so now. Some good info is on there.
the search is being really screwy for me.. could you post a link to that thread?

PS.. more talk about HOW to lose weight would be kewl

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country