2019 Update! Dmitri's '94 Stealth feat. PTE7675 Single Turbo - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2019, 03:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
SDSU Alumnus

Drives: VR-4, EVO VIII & X
bboyalan Level 1bboyalan Level 1bboyalan Level 1
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Cool 2019 Update! Dmitri's '94 Stealth feat. PTE7675 Single Turbo

Hey guys! It has been a while since I posted a build/tuning thread... although that is somewhat intentional lol. I figured this one definitely deserved a share, and I also said that I would post some data for interpretation and discussion. Unlike before, I will keep this one a little more straight to the point.

Officially dubbed "Baba Yaga"

After pushing his DR750's hard since 2014-ish, one of his TiAL turbines finally sh*t the bed. Dmitri could not justify the cost of rebuilding them, so he originally sought larger-housed twins i.e. TD05, Garrett, T3/T4, etc. As like most things in the community, you are either too late to a deal or the available options are slim or not preferable. Enter single turbo...

Much of his build is unchanged except for a few of the obvious components:
-PTE 7675 Gen 2
-4" Treadstone intercooler
-Custom intake manifold (from Brian) with S90 TB and NP IAC remote
-modified 350Z exhaust manifolds and self-fabricated transitions, merger, exhaust, dumps, etc (all cerakote-coated and titanium wrapped)
-twin TiAL 38mm MV-S EWG's with 15# springs
-Additional 1000cc water/methanol injection nozzle (total 2000cc via AEM V1 WMI kit/controller)
-Fuel Injector Clinic 16500cc high-impedance
-Walbro "Hellcat" 525lph fuel pump
-twin SPAL fans

Same engine and drivetrain that survived sub-700 and 132mph traps sans the last two TC "party poppers" haha. Same tuning setup as well - for now.

Turbo comparison

Fist that sh*t!

TiAL turbine kaboom!

More recent underhood view after a few changes (will continue to change slightly for function over form)

Hilarious. Yes, the side duct was FG'd closed; rear is still there.

To be continued...

'10 EVO X SE - AEM WMI, COBB SF, K&N UICP, Tomei Titanium CBE - 300//350 on 91+Meth
'04 EVO VIII SSL - CBRD BBK Full turbo, full support, lots of suspension - 350 on Pump-E85
'92 VR-4 - Panda v.3 build featuring AEM EMS S2, MHI EVO3 16G's, and race/methanol goodness
"There are no secrets better kept than the secrets that everybody guesses."
bboyalan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2019, 03:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
SDSU Alumnus

Default Re: 2019 Update! Dmitri's '94 Stealth feat. PTE7675 Single Turbo

…continued:

We started off with some part-throttle runs to gauge the turbo’s performance given he “only” has a ~3.05L. To our surprise, 50% throttle yielded 22psi under 5k. This was much better than the “lag city” that I personally expected. Green light for some second gear WOT, to start!

17psi was pretty smooth, and 20psi was getting better. However, we eventually BLEW OUT the GM LT1 MAF’s honeycomb – hah! Tuning came to a halt, and fortunately, Dmitri stocks extra new parts.

486AWHP VD SAE (+28 U/C) @17psi low boost

To quote myself from a discussion with Dougal on FB:
Quote:
…the data sample rate already sucks more so when the revs appear to jump/slip from powerband taking off (barely getting tuning use with VD)…

So now, we proceed with third gear after having replaced the MAF. Different load areas require more tuning, but timing is still mild / flat with fat AF while we work toward target boost first. 20psi, 22, 23, 25… getting exciting!

619AWHP VD SAE (+42 U/C) @22psi mild boost (holding 18)

We stopped at this checkpoint to revisit and address some areas (boost leaks, crankcase pressure, etc.), but the results are looking promising! FWIW, VD is mainly used as a tuning tool. We are still using the same weight from when he last visited scales, and he plans on weighing the car again. After these first tuning sessions, we will likely end up doing fourth gear pulls (as it should be).

To further quote myself from my discussion with Dougal:
Quote:
To give you an idea (and this is just a random comparison that I picked):

ECUFlash/EvoScan spits out maybe 30-40rows of WOT third gear .csv data, on average (more like 15-20 on shorter second). AEM spits out maybe 3,000-4,000 rows of data (NOT that I would view it there... that is what the software is for lol)

It is not tuning difficulty per se, but it is not as ideal given the setup and circumstances. Maybe 20% of the logs will produce any useful plots in VD right now which somewhat aides in making decisive changes. The rest get "thrown out" for being interpreted as slips/jumps.

In regard to the actual data itself for review and tuning: I will see jumps of 500 and then 800rpm at the beginning of powerband... and that is third. Initial second was 1-1.5k jumps lol - useless.

To answer your original question, we will probably end up at around 28-30psi max to hit 800 and then dial back down to 700. 40+ is typical for that 1xxx territory
The goal is to eventually upgrade to a billet crank and transition over to a standalone e.g. AEM or Haltech

To be continued…

Last edited by bboyalan; 05-02-2019 at 09:02 PM. Reason: added meme
Old 05-02-2019, 03:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
SDSU Alumnus

...continued:

Quick compilations:

to be continued...

Old 05-02-2019, 03:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
SDSU Alumnus

...continued:

****saved for data posts/discussion with Eric, Jakob, Erron, etc. RE boost curve and powerband****

//edit//

To quote myself in response to Eric and Jakob:
Quote:
...but yes, the "shock" from initial start of spray window is noticeable both in the car and boost curve.

I posted some in the replies to Dougal above Erron, but the data sample with EvoScan is sucking more and more lol... might even have to resort to fourth gear now as it should be. Regardless, the jump from 10 to 20psi is always adjacent in .csv. Typically seeing 500rpm in third and 900rpm in second for a 4-4.5k spool leading into his powerband.

If he did not already have the WMI installed from before (still a V1 to boot lol), then I am sure nitrous would have been utilized like Jakob.

Here are some samples from second:

Here is one sample from third:

Hope that some of you guys enjoyed the read!

-ALan/BTS

Last edited by bboyalan; 05-02-2019 at 04:03 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
SDSU Alumnus

An important point that I forgot to mention: He did return his cam gears to "zero" based upon the last time he degreed the engine. For those that remember, he previously ran the reversed +1/-3 setting, IIRC, to purposely lag the DR750's and avoid the surge-causing quick spool.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Resident Street Racer

NOMIEZVR-4 Level 1NOMIEZVR-4 Level 1NOMIEZVR-4 Level 1
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

man so exciting. Can't wait to compare and share data with my setup...patience is such a hard thing to excercise!! PLEASE tell me dmitri is coming to the shootout in august? We can have 3 single setups there possibly.

96 Single Turbo 3000GT VR-4
NOMIEZVR-4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: VR4, XJ
wrongwheeldrive is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

This is awesome! Keep it up, Alan!
wrongwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
SDSU Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMIEZVR-4 View Post
man so exciting. Can't wait to compare and share data with my setup...patience is such a hard thing to excercise!! PLEASE tell me dmitri is coming to the shootout in august? We can have 3 single setups there possibly.
It is! HAHA the funny and ironic thing is that neither of us are patient, but we are forced to be that way - good in this case. The weather in Ohio has been suuuuper sh*tty with tons of rain lol... been waking up early to accommodate and take advantage of the random, small windows of clear skies.

Dmitri IS planning on attending the annual UMG (Upper Midwest Gathering), as usual. IDK about the Shootout as that has not been mentioned or discussed yet. Guess we shall see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwheeldrive View Post
This is awesome! Keep it up, Alan!
Thanks! Much has been addressed already, but we will wait until after the UMG to resume pushing things. At least this will allow him to attend with the car.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pro xfercase destroyer

Drives: One quick Spyder VR4
mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3mjannusch Level 3
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

Nice!

How do you like tuning on the FIC 1650cc injectors?
mjannusch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

98slept1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

whats the AR on the turbine housing?
98slept1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Engine - Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country