Transfer Case-Screw them before they screw U. My experience. - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Community Help Section > Pending News/Polls

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2003, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

TampaTide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Transfer Case-Screw them before they screw U. My experience.

Hello everyone. First time posting. I joined this club to obtain information and to share some information with other VR-4 owners. Let me begin by giving you some background information. Original owner from back in the day. 1992 black VR-4 bought from the dealer on Christmas Eve with only 8 miles on it. I have loved this car, but not to the extreme as other VR-4 owners. I have never raced the car or abused it in any way. As a matter of fact, my wife has been the primary driver. This VR-4 only has 70,000 miles on it! We have always used Mitsubishi Service to have any and all work done on the car, and the maintenance schedule has been followed wih great detail. My wife was on her way to work a few weeks ago when she began to hear this noise under the car. It sounded as if concrete might be in the transmission. She pulled over to the side and called for a tow truck, which took the car to the nearest Mitsubishi dealership. I called them soon after and explained to them that we had just received a recall notice from Mitsubishi... could this noise be attributed to the recall? After a few days, the service manager called to tell me that my VR-4 needed a WHOLE BRAND NEW TRANSMISSION. New Transmission? Standard? 70,000 miles? How can this be? It would cost $4 - 6 thousand new, or if I wanted to get a used one out of the junkyard it would cost $2500 - $3500. I asked how many miles would be on a junkyard transmission, and he laughed and said "more than yours." I decided to get a second opinion, so I went to the dealership to pick up my VR-4. He told me AGAIN that the recall had nothing to do with my problems and sent me on my way. Never bothering to check the seals, fill the fluid, or replace the transfer case! I was not even told it was leaking! The independent shop I took my VR-4 to charged me $500 to take the transmission out of the car and find out exactly what the problem was. In doing so, guess what he discovered? YEP! A transfer case covered in fluid with the seal cracked and leaking in several places, and I have pictures and serial numbers to prove it. (WHAT WAS THE RECALL ABOUT???) I went back to the dealership to find out why they let me drive away with a transfer case that was proven to be faulty even after I had informed them of the recall. The District Rep (REAL IMPORTANT MAN- a legend in his own mind) who approves or disapproves of this type of work began to explain to me that he had "not heard the news regarding transfer case problems in VR-4's." (YEAH, RIGHT.) He asked me why I did not just bring my car back in and have the transfer caase replaced, because Mitsubishi in California had authorized replacement. I told him if the transfer case were to be changed, then the output shaft would have to be replaced, because of the wear on the splines... and this would leave me in the same position I begain with. A VR-4 that is not driveable! After a lengthy process of calling back and forth with Mitsubishi, one of the rep's there in Califonia made the mistake of giving me the name of the supervisor who was in direct contact with the regional rep here in Florida. I proceeded to call over and over again leaving many messages and finally was able to get a reply from the supervisor there in California. He knew that the local dealership had breached their contract by letting me drive away with a bad transfer case, but he was treading lightly so that he would give himself some wiggle room to negotiate. He knew he was obligated for a transfer case replacement. THIS IS FACT. They (dealers and Mitsubishi) have unspoken guidelines that they try to follow. Deceit. Misdirection. Delay. Anything to convince the owner that Mitsubishi is not liable for their HUGE TOTAL TRANSMISSION ENGINEERING PROBLEM. A direct engineering flaw that THEY have not come to terms with. Pathetic. I spent $1,000.00 labor and $950.00 in parts. Mitsubishi swapped out my transfer case with the new design. 25-spline transfer case. I purchased an output shaft, sync rings, all bearings and seals and topped it off with Red Line. $2,0000 dollars out of pocket directly from a Mitsubishi engineering problem. I have filed complaints with everyone imaginable. This event will be spread to as many people as possible. Mitsubishi with all their money and resources should be held accountable for their products regardless of age. This e-mail has been sent to every imaginable government, state, county and municipal agency as well as Mitsubishi Headquarters and Mr. Richard Donnelson, Director of Mitsubishi Product, Service and Support. In closing, I would like to give each and every one of you a bit of advice. MAKE SURE THAT YOUR TRANSFER CASE TAKES OUT YOUR ENTIRE TRANSMISSION AND DRIVE SHAFTS before you take your AWD for repair. THEN, they will be obligated to replace all, including the entire transmission. That seal needs to leak like HELL. It needs to lock ALL the way up and take everything with it when it goes. If not, they will dick you around endlessly. I checked with my local attorney and he assured me that my local dealer was liable for ANY and ALL problems and accidents resulting from this poorly engineered transfer case and seal. What will happen when a dealer turns someone away and then this person has a multi-car accident with fatalites??
I have really enjoyed my car, but this one problem that has undermined my confidence in Mitsubishi Motor Sales. They are not about customer service. Not now. Not ever. Stick it to them before they stick it to you. And please, feel free to forward this message to ANYONE you know that could benefit from this information BEFORE they have a problem!! Good luck.
TampaTide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2003, 05:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

TampaTide is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Picture of the TRANSFER CASE

see pic
TampaTide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2003, 05:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
perpetual college student

Drives: '93 VR4 & '95 vette
billvp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

no pic

My t-case did the same thing, had a concrete-grinding noise all of a sudden, totally fubared, but it didn't take anything else out. I got the recall for a new t-case (from Dodge) and went on my way. Tranny is fine, etc.
AAM intake, HKS VPC, Apexi SAFC, Greddy 550's, Walbro 255 lph
ATR complete exhaust w/ free flowing precats
RPS 6 puck sprung hub w/ Fidanza flywheel
Blitz DSBC-R, TurboXS Type-H BOV, Greddy EGT, Jumptronix A/F

-----------------------------
car is now SOLD
billvp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2003, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Resident Ninja

DC3843 is an unknown quantity at this point

You might want to push them a little harder for a refund. My tranny had the same thing happen. It got FRIED because of the transfer case leaking, and dodge replaced tranny, drive shaft, and transfer case for free.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
*****DEMIGOD****

Drives: 93 Stealth RT TT
Firestorm91TT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

wheres the pic...? gotta see this!
Old 04-09-2003, 09:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Silent Option

Drives: 91 Dodge Stealth R/T
Flasher is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Hey guys, please correct me if i'm wrong. I looked up as much as I could about this whole TC recall and all I see is that it is for the AWD cars. My 91 R/T has no visible probs but again, it looks as if the recall is only for AWD. Is that correct?
Old 04-09-2003, 09:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
push the limits

Drives: 91 Stealth TT
lowflier03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Yes, the front wheel drive cars ...ie the non-turbos do not have a transfer case, as there is no need to supply power to the rear wheels. So the recall is only for AWD models.

13T Turbos with propane injection, K&N Intake, LS6 MAF and MAFT, APEXI ITC, Greddy TypeS BOV, Greddy FATT, Pro-BoostMBC @ 20psi, Fuel Pump Hotwire, Walbro255 Pump, PTE 680cc Injectors, EK2 Fuel rail connector, Vac Reduction, EGR Blockoffs, Powdercoated Y-pipe, NGK Resistorless Plugs, MSD Superconductor wires, ATR DP, Gutted Precats, Highflow Main Cat, 3" custom exhaust, Shiver's Pocketlogger, Kormex Tranny Parts, Autometer Gauges, (Boost, water, oil, egt, A/f), Seattle's Short Shifter, Bradi Dimpled & Slotted Rotors w/ceramic pads, DSM SMIC's, Cobra Rims, 3SX Crank Pulley, Tein S-Tech springs, RPS Clutch, TC cage, 300m output shaft...

Helicopters dont fly, they beat the air into submission.
lowflier03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2003, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Silent Option

Drives: 91 Dodge Stealth R/T
Flasher is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Thanks!!!!!!!
Flasher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2003, 09:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

san ling is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re dodge dealerships...

Ummm mitsu dealerships are just as retarded.

san ling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2003, 01:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
ASSCLOWN IN CHIEF OBAMA

Drives: PiMpMobile
blusilvr Level 1blusilvr Level 1
Feedback Score: 69 reviews

As a Stealth tt owner, I must contend that Dodge dealers are idiots, and they think that our car is "totally different" than the VR-4....

So, rather than risk the recall with those idiots, a good alternative is to find the rare Dodge/Mitsu combined dealer. This way, the Dodge people can have the Mitsu techs explain it to them. Paperwork wise, the Dodge folks can get reimbursement- while someone with Mitsu experience can insure that the Dodge techs don't eff things up....

91 TT
92 TT

https://www.3si.org/portal/forums/se...searchid=694161
blusilvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Community Help Section > Pending News/Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

« New forums. | - »