Updated Digital Climate Control, ECS, and ECU Component List - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Miscellaneous > Interior

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2019, 02:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind

Drives: 1992 3000GT VR4
midnightg35x is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Updated Digital Climate Control, ECS, and ECU Component List

I'm a new member who just got a 92 VR4. It had the common blank digital climate control display issue of being blank but the controls still working. Most people recommended going to a known rebuild service, but I have extensive experience repairing electronics so I decided to attempt it myself. While I had the dash apart I took out the ECU and also the ECS in the hatch. I found that the 3si wiki page parts list (https://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php?t...acitor_repairs) was pretty out of date as well. Most parts were not in stock. There were better modern choices for the capacitors and other components as well. I made a public parts list as Mouser for the DCC, ECU, and ECS. There is at least 1 extra part for each part type just in case they are needed. Parts should be labelled according to their reference designator on board.

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManage...sID=45546ecea8

I did successfully repair my DCC which did not have the obvious capacitor leakage signs or a blown R38, but I replaced the capacitors anyway. On mine, I believe the issue was the +5V linear regulator or the 494 switching power supply controller. Without being able to power the board while on the bench, I cannot confirm which was the culprit for certain. Drove the car around for 2 hours and the display still works a champ. No red lines, nothing else seems wrong. Time will obviously tell if that stays true, but I think I passed the initial power problems.

I did do the ECS and ECU replacement because I had them out of the vehicle. One thing that the wiki page should emphasize more is to reapply some sort of conformal coating (they call it dielectric lacquer?) to the board so even if the capacitors leak, they will not corrode the metal traces on the board. The DCC was NOT conformal coated stock, but the ECU and ECS are coated stock. This also provides a pretty large amount of environmental resistance to the circuit card. I used humiseal 1B31, but that can be hard to find in small quantities.
Attached Thumbnails
Updated Digital Climate Control, ECS, and ECU Component List-dcc_working.jpg  
midnightg35x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2019, 03:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: '91 VR4
PhailosaurusRex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Updated Digital Climate Control, ECS, and ECU Component List

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightg35x View Post
One thing that the wiki page should emphasize more is to reapply some sort of conformal coating (they call it dielectric lacquer?) to the board so even if the capacitors leak, they will not corrode the metal traces on the board. The DCC was NOT conformal coated stock, but the ECU and ECS are coated stock.
Nice of you to create an updated list for your fellow 3s'rs, would be cool to see it added to the wiki but I have no idea who manages it or how.

Question for ya:
Are newer conformal coatings much better than what was used in the 90's? Do they have a useful life after application?
I ask because in the pictures I've seen of boards with leaky caps the factory applied coating did little to protect the traces.

Cool to see another pixie wrangler on the board, can't have too many of you guys around.
PhailosaurusRex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2019, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhailosaurusRex View Post
Nice of you to create an updated list for your fellow 3s'rs, would be cool to see it added to the wiki but I have no idea who manages it or how.

Question for ya:
Are newer conformal coatings much better than what was used in the 90's? Do they have a useful life after application?
I ask because in the pictures I've seen of boards with leaky caps the factory applied coating did little to protect the traces.

Cool to see another pixie wrangler on the board, can't have too many of you guys around.
I thought about adding it to the wiki also, but like you I don't know who maintains it. The conformal coatings of today are not substantially more effective than older ones. Older ones were usually acrylic based, newer ones are usually water based. That mainly applies to their application method, not their effectiveness when cured. I thought the factory application was not all that bad actually. The DCC had no coating, but the ECU and ECS both did. The one thing that could be an issue is that 100% of the board is not covered. Underneath the capacitors, there was still a small ring of unprotected board, so any traces directly underneath the capacitor would still be susceptible to corrosion. I did add some coating to the actual display leads just because someone mentioned they saw arcing. That had to have been an excess solder problem at some point as the voltage between the pins shouldn't change over time. There are only a couple of the pins that are not common points anyway, so I wouldn't consider that a major failure point.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member in good standing

Jim Floyd Level 2Jim Floyd Level 2Jim Floyd Level 2Jim Floyd Level 2
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Thank you for the update !!
Old 07-15-2019, 12:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

NZgto-tt is an unknown quantity at this point

There's some updated info in the wiki here too:
https://www.3swiki.org/Electrical:_R...rol_Capacitors

When I did mine, I saw the issue with the wires glowing red - more than before the fix. This is caused by replacing the diodes using generic low-frequency diodes as originally shown on this wiki page. I updated it with the new info as I fixed mine.

Regards,
Kenneth
NZgto-tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2019, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

I saw that one also. The information is pretty similar between the two pages. I used -40C to 105C caps when OEM did. I used -55 to 105C caps when OEM did. Their C to F conversion is a little off in the page you linked The list I have from mouser uses ultrafast rectifier diodes, so it would cover what your issue was. I also use higher end/more modern capacitors than what is listed in that wiki.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Miscellaneous > Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in