Instrument cluster lights not working. - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

gir489 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Instrument cluster lights not working.

I've been trying to figure out this issue I've been having with my 1997 3000GT I bought a few weeks ago, where when I put the illuminator switch to the 1st position, the illuminators don't come on. I also noticed that the license plate lights don't come on either. I checked all the fuses under the steering wheel, and I checked the 40A fuse on the tail light line, the 15A fuse for hot and the 10A fuse for ground, they're all fine. I can hear something click on when I turn the selector switch up, not sure if it's the automatic shutoff thing or what. But if I put 12Vs down the hot side of the 15A fuse, I can see the lights come on for the illuminators and license plate lights. So the lines are good and the bulbs work. At this point, I threw in the towel, and took it to a shop. He arrived at the same conclusion I did, not knowing what is wrong, said all the fuses are good, the relay is good, the switch point in the relay is changing from 0Vs to 9Vs when the car is off, and 12Vs when it's on, so the switch is working, but he tried looking at what was wrong for almost 2 days, couldn't figure it out. Eventually we decided trying to switch out the illuminator switch as a Hail Mary, which I ordered from Advance Auto Parts, but that ended up being a waste of time. It either has the same issue, or it's not the switch.

I'm at my wits ends here, and I don't really know what else to do... The previous owner said it was the switch, but that's clearly not the cause. He said this started happening very recently.

Last edited by gir489; 10-01-2018 at 01:31 PM.
gir489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: '93 na atx 3kgt DOHC
white93gt Level 1white93gt Level 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Re: Instrument cluster lights not working.

Click you hear is taillight relay closing not the auto shutoff module, it has nothing to make a click.

Sounds like you might have bad rheostat that dims the instrument lights. Could even be lose plug on back of rheostat not making good contact. But not sure how instrument cluster lighting got connected to license plate lights, they are in taillight circuit which I assume is working normal.

Last edited by white93gt; 10-02-2018 at 08:58 AM.
white93gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2018, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by white93gt View Post
Click you hear is taillight relay closing not the auto shutoff module, it has nothing to make a click.

Sounds like you might have bad rheostat that dims the instrument lights. Could even be lose plug on back of rheostat not making good contact. But not sure how instrument cluster lighting got connected to license plate lights, they are in taillight circuit which I assume is working normal.
Thanks for your response.

I thought about this but as you mentioned, the license plate lights should work at the very least, but the brightness switch is on the dash panel to the left of the steering wheel. Here's a picture I found on Google to show what I'm talking about: http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/68037013.jpg I'm not sure how I can get to it. When replacing the illuminator switch, I had to REALLY bend my wrist, enough that I felt like I was going to break my wrist getting it up there. How would I get access to the back of the switch? All I can find on ALLDATA was just the wiring schematics.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum user

Quote:
Originally Posted by gir489 View Post
.... How would I get access to the back of the switch?.....
Don't know for sure but from following closeup image, it looks like clips (tabs) on top and maybe bottom allows trim and switches to pry out of dash for access to plugs in back.
https://www.3sx.com/used-dash-light-...und-trim-10671
Old 10-02-2018, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum user

Couple of questions for clarification:
1) Taillights do work correct?
2) The 15A fuse you applied power to, is #2 dedicated fuse in relay box under hood?

I’m also concerned about 9v reading you mentioned at relay switch point. Kind of indicates taillight relay is not passing full voltage thru contacts, even though it is closing.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Couple of questions for clarification:
1) Taillights do work correct?
They do not. They come on when I dump 12Vs down the fuse line as well. I should have mentioned that. The turn signals work though.
Quote:
2) The 15A fuse you applied power to, is #2 dedicated fuse in relay box under hood?
That is correct. I took some photos of the brightness switch taken apart, the fuse box, and some problematic things I think might be related. Here is the Google photo album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nGsqkDfVVZpBSqTQA
The fuse I dumped 12Vs down to get it to work is the 15 blue fuse in the middle of the photo all the way to the left, near that yellow piece. When I put 12Vs down it, lights come on. I noticed that the rubber trim around the window is completely useless, almost nonexistent. I think maybe water has gotten in to the door, because the driver's side unlock button does not work, but lock does. The passenger's side switch both work, although I feel this is just wear-and-tear, as it was severally raining today (as you can see with all the water on the car), and I peeled it back, and I can see dust under it, so I don't think water is getting in. I also found out that there's a light under the hood, but it doesn't turn on. I think it might be apart of that line, although when I dump 12Vs down the tail line, that light doesn't come on. It might just be burnt out or disconnected.

Quote:
I’m also concerned about 9v reading you mentioned at relay switch point. Kind of indicates taillight relay is not passing full voltage thru contacts, even though it is closing.
That was a concern as well for me when I initially did a reading, but it reads 12Vs when the car is on and the alternator is running. As with lights, I figure that even 3Vs should be enough to at least turn them on although they'll be infinitesimally dim. 9Vs should be noticeable. When I first did the reading I was getting 7Vs from the old battery, so I figured there was a problem with the battery, so I bought a new gel pack battery, and now I get 9Vs. It turns out leaving that switch on drained the old battery and killed it, so instead of just jumping it, I bought a new battery.

EDIT: Upon re-reading my post, I seem to be also continuing this enigmatic articulation of information. I should note, that the instrument cluster indicators lights work when I put the switch in the on position, but not the illumination lights, the tail lights, or license plate lights. The picture of the indicator lights on is the light position, the 2nd picture is the off position. I have also noticed that the glovebox light, door light and hood light do not work, although I think that might be a separate issue. I feel the dashboard indicator lights should turn on regardless of the switch's position. Although I'm not sure, since I've never driven a 3000GT before, that may be normal behaviour.

Last edited by gir489; 10-02-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum user

Quote:
They do not. They come on when I dump 12Vs down the fuse line as well. I should have mentioned that. The turn signals work though.
Yeah the parking lights which includes taillights, which is important and explains license plate lights. That also changes where problem may lie, since only thing between 40A fusible link #3 (left green one bottom row in your picture) and 15A dedicated fuse #2 is the taillight relay. Which indicates problem with relay itself passing 12v to dedicated fuse #2 or socket clips for relay not making good contact to relay blades (sprung loose fit).

Quote:
The fuse I dumped 12Vs down to get it to work is the 15 blue fuse in the middle of the photo all the way to the left, near that yellow piece. When I put 12Vs down it, lights come on.
Yes, that is #2 dedicated fuse. Obviously if taillight relay passes 12v to that (as you did) the lights will work. I would first pull taillight relay and check condition of socket clips for relay blades, maybe spring them together for better contact to relay blades (disconnect battery first as couple of those receiving clips are hot all the time). If no help get a new relay.

Quote:
That was a concern as well for me when I initially did a reading, but it reads 12Vs when the car is on and the alternator is running.
That is also an indication of poor connection some where, because with engine running alternator should be putting ~ 14v to battery which means you should be reading ~ 14v at the #3 fuseable link and #2 dedicated fuse. Maybe FIRST thing to do is make sure alternated voltage (engine running) is getting to relay box by heavy gauge wire from battery plus clamp (not the largest one to starter). Some has found bad connection between the wire itself and end connector that goes on bolt of Positive battery wire clamp

I think when you repair power loss to #2 dedicated fuse all low power reading will clear up and will read what ever battery does at anytime.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
That is also an indication of poor connection some where, because with engine running alternator should be putting ~ 14v to battery which means you should be reading ~ 14v at the #3 fuseable link and #2 dedicated fuse. Maybe FIRST thing to do is make sure alternated voltage (engine running) is getting to relay box by heavy gauge wire from battery plus clamp (not the largest one to starter). Some has found bad connection between the wire itself and end connector that goes on bolt of Positive battery wire clamp

I think when you repair power loss to #2 dedicated fuse all low power reading will clear up and will read what ever battery does at anytime.
Thanks for your reply. One of the things the mechanic said, was to just bypass the relay, and use a semiconductor (MOSFET) between the battery, the hot lead from the switch to the relay, and the #2 dedicated fuse, that way when the switch is on, it will dump 12Vs down the fuse. However, I feel this is just a hack and not really solving the issue. Where do you suggest I start looking for why this would be happening? The mechanic said that the line for #3 is probably coming from the ECU or the automatic shut-off thing, which I can't find either of them. I took the fuse/relay box off to check for corrosion, and I don't see anything. I see some greening on some of the fuses for the 40A and 30A fuses, but I think that's just passive corrosion. Do you have a picture of what the line from the battery would look like? I followed it, and it looks like it goes straight to the alternator, after that I can't follow it, looks like it goes through the firewall or something. I tried swapping the headlamp relay which I know is working with the tail relay, and it did not solve the issue. But as you mentioned, it's clearly an undervoltage issue, not a relay issue.

Last edited by gir489; 10-02-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum user

Quote:
EDIT:......I should note, that the instrument cluster indicators lights work when I put the switch in the on position, but not the illumination lights, the tail lights, or license plate lights........ I have also noticed that the glovebox light, door light and hood light do not work, although I think that might be a separate issue........... I feel the dashboard indicator lights should turn on regardless of the switch's position...........
I do now understand what's working and what isn't, though I didn't at first and even deleted my very first post since I wasn't sure...... Yes I think you're misc. interior lights is a separate issue....... You're correct about dashboard indicator lights have nothing to do with light switch, that's no different in the 3K's.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
I do now understand what's working and what isn't, though I didn't at first and even deleted my very first post since I wasn't sure...... Yes I think you're misc. interior lights is a separate issue....... You're correct about dashboard indicator lights have nothing to do with light switch, that's no different in the 3K's.
I got an E-Mail about your first post then went to respond to it, and was puzzled as to why there was no replies... That explains that mystery. I'm glad it's just an issue with the tail light line and nothing else. Hopefully once I figure this out, I can work on the rest of the issues that aren't a complete nightmare... I've already fixed the misfiring from bad spark plugs, the check engine light complaining about the downstream O2 sensors, the TERRIBLY rusted rotors/brakes, seized driver's side caliper, the completely blackened brake fluid, and the blower motor making a horrible sound. The rest of the problems is the massive crack in the windshield which I need to have completely replaced, the glove box light not working, getting the alignment done because of me hammering the devil out of the driver's side rotor, and change the oil to full synthetic since I want this car to last as long as possible.

EDIT: I took the instrument cluster off to see if maybe there was some corrosion on the pins of the cluster, but nope. Everything looks fine. https://photos.app.goo.gl/doTbAwxwY4wej7on7

I took a video of the behaviour I'm talking about. https://photos.app.goo.gl/qrJc53jS1WEx43Ma7

So things to note, I know the video quality is terrible because of the low light, but here's what basically happens.

Video starts. I open the door. Turn on the illuminator switch, dash turns on like I turned the key to the on position. Turn the illuminator off, dash turns off. Put the key in, no buzzing (This comes and goes, no idea what triggers it...), turn the wipers off because I had to move it out of the way to get the cluster out, then I turn the key to the on position and the cluster cycles like when I turned the illuminator on. This is the behavior I'm talking about. Is this normal, aside from not having the cluster backlight?

Last edited by gir489; 10-02-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in