How to disable "Anti-Lock" light - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

MarkGTO is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default How to disable "Anti-Lock" light

92 VR4.

My Anti-Lock like comes on randomly and goes away. I have already checked and replaced the sensors and that did nothing.

How can I disable it, or make it so that the light doesnt come on?
MarkGTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

cbatters is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Default Re: How to disable "Anti-Lock" light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGTO
92 VR4.

My Anti-Lock like comes on randomly and goes away. I have already checked and replaced the sensors and that did nothing.

How can I disable it, or make it so that the light doesnt come on?
Worth pulling the codes to see what the ABS controller thinks is wrong. most common failure is ABS motor due to poor location / corrosion. (Problem with sensors is less common and mostly from mechanical damage when servicing struts / brakes.)

Clint
cbatters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2006, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

scb147 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatters
Worth pulling the codes to see what the ABS controller thinks is wrong. most common failure is ABS motor due to poor location / corrosion. (Problem with sensors is less common and mostly from mechanical damage when servicing struts / brakes.)

Clint
I just bought a 94 TT and the Anti-lock light comes on as well, but not at startup. Usually after driving for a bit. Seller told me it was a sensor, but I'd rather find out before spending money for sensors that don't need replaced.

What can I use to pull the codes?
scb147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scb147
I just bought a 94 TT and the Anti-lock light comes on as well, but not at startup. Usually after driving for a bit. Seller told me it was a sensor, but I'd rather find out before spending money for sensors that don't need replaced.

What can I use to pull the codes?
If light comes on after you are travelling 6 MPH, this is when the ABS controller completes its self test including the ABS pump.

Easiest test is to connect +12V to the aBS pump and see if it runs. (pump is under right-front wheel well. Just remove the splash guard and you will see the motor and the + terminal.)

Motors fail open (low current draw) as well as shorted (high current draw)

If motor runs OK, it points to other possible sensor problems.

Not sure on 94 how to pull codes. On 1G 991-93 you can just connect a meter to the ABS connection on the diagnostic connector.

http://www.stealth316.com/2-diagconn.htm
Old 05-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

scb147 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatters
If light comes on after you are travelling 6 MPH, this is when the ABS controller completes its self test including the ABS pump.

Easiest test is to connect +12V to the aBS pump and see if it runs. (pump is under right-front wheel well. Just remove the splash guard and you will see the motor and the + terminal.)

Motors fail open (low current draw) as well as shorted (high current draw)

If motor runs OK, it points to other possible sensor problems.

Not sure on 94 how to pull codes. On 1G 991-93 you can just connect a meter to the ABS connection on the diagnostic connector.

http://www.stealth316.com/2-diagconn.htm
It's definitely not consistant at 6 MPH. I've had it come on when driving for only 5 minutes, or not until an hour.
scb147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scb147
It's definitely not consistant at 6 MPH. I've had it come on when driving for only 5 minutes, or not until an hour.
Unless you were braking, the car would not be initiating another self test so it points in the direction of a wheel sensor.

Still suggest a quick test of the HU - easiest thing to check.

Worth checking / cleaning all of the connectors and if it still happens, pull the codes to find out what the ABS controller thinks is wrong.

Clint
Old 05-09-2006, 03:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
3/S enthusiast

Drives: 91 VR-4, 99 Zx2
andyvr4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

I would suggest just diabling it anyway. The abs on the 1st gens especially is pretty much useless and I know several people that have almost wrecked them because of the abs.

All that you need to do to disable it is short the pins shown in the picture below that are located in the abs control units connector. After they have been shorted you can completely remove the abs control unit and just secure the connector so that it doesn't flop around behind the interior panels. It is located behind the rear interior panel next to the passenger side rear seat. With it disabled this way the light will never come on.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:12 PM   #8 (permalink)