3000gt N/A tuning question - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind

SStrykeRR is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 3000gt N/A tuning question

getting a downpipe/test pipe/custom cat back done on monday to my 96 3000gt base. planned on tuning it after and just found out i would need to drop 800 fuckin dollars on a chrome ecu to do anything.

1. will i be able to continue to daily this thing before i get it tuned without messing anything up?

2. any cheaper option to get it tuned?
SStrykeRR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dragon Slayer

Drives: 98 SL single turbo
ChesterGT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Re: 3000gt N/A tuning question

Pick up a 98-99 DOHC flashable ECU. You can find the as low as $150-$300. It’s a lot cheaper than buying a chrome each and it’s the same thing. But you won’t need a tune for what you are doing. The stock ECU can handle the slight changes. There is some to gain from a tune but not much, not with only an exhaust upgrade.
ChesterGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
<3's lapping days

Drives: 93 R/T, 98 VR-4
R/T93 Level 1R/T93 Level 1
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

You wont need to do a thing if you add those mods. You will gain HP and wont use mileage.

Pull the neg battery cable for a half hour. That will reset your ECU fuel trims, let the car learn the new parts and it will adjust. Enjoy.
98 VR-4 - Billet 13t's, Downpipe, EBC, Ohlins, SCE Center Diff, SCE oil pan, Maximal Performance oil cooler, 2" Koyo Rad, SAFC2, Defi Gauges, RC 550's, Supra Pump, Skillard Splitter, Hardpipes, XYZ 355mm 6 piston brakes (Black), Z2 Direzzas, Alpine/Infinity/JL Sound. One of 13

My Garage https://www.3si.org/forum/garage/1057
R/T93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 02:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Still Posting Novels >>>

Drives: Like a Granny
Melbowski Level 2Melbowski Level 2Melbowski Level 2Melbowski Level 2
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

As stated above, no tune is required for those mods on a stock car; the the ECU will adjust the fueling based on the MAF for part-throttle/WOT, and adjust idle/cruise trims via the O2 sensors. Your idle/cruise fuel trims update every four minutes, and fully store adaptations every four updates (16 minutes), so you can unplug the battery to clear the old trims and just let it idle for about 20 minutes to have it lock down the new adaptations.

You'll likely get a CEL when you remove the cat as the OBD2 cars monitor that, so keep that in mind. You can use spark plug non-foulers to move the rear O2 away from the exhaust, pick up extenders with mini-cats in them, or build/buy an O2 emulator/simulator. They all have varying results, but I'd try the non-foulers first because they're super cheap.

As stated above you can pick up a 98-99 N/A flashable ECU for relatively cheap, but it gets quite expensive in a hurry, with very little gain for the N/A. The ECU is ~200, the conversion harness is ~250, and the flash cable is ~180. It's still half the price of the Jester ECU, but about the only thing you'll use it for is to remove the CEL from removing the cat. Not worth the investment IMHO.
Melbowski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > New Owner Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in