Step by Step atx to mtx 1997 base. - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Front Wheel Drive - Drivetrain

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2019, 03:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind

Drives: 1997 3000GT Base
Darkness1123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Step by Step atx to mtx 1997 base.

Hello, I was wondering if you guys could give me a step by step on pulling a mtx from a 1997 base model and putting it into a 1997 base model with atx. I've been all through your threads and most are about TT and I have no interest in a TT at this time. I'm pretty good mechanically I just need to know where to start and what to take out. also what's this stuff I see about getting the cruise control to work? if the both have cruise control shouldn't they just plug right into each other and why do I have to bypass certain plugs can't I just put the mtx wiring harness into the atx car? so I have every piece I need I have 2 cars both complete for the most part. one has an amazing body no rust and sweet just wont go forward with atx. and I have one that the body is complete shit and doesn't run due to an incompetent wannabe mechanic buying before I did and taking stuff apart with no idea what to do and has an mtx. I want to pull the mtx and everything I need to do the swap and I mean full swap so everything works and no cutting wires or mickey rigging. I can gut whatever I have to gut I can pull whatever I need to pull. I've tried looking into the black book parts catalog and the transmission isn't even there. Thank you.
Darkness1123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Step by Step atx to mtx 1997 base.

It's ok if I can't get instructions on how to pull everything just need a complete list of what needs to be pulled and I can do the rest and maybe what order to make things easiest.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

i found on on another post for removing the ATX it's for the FWD that is on both tires, don't think my manual has them both hooked up but will check, now need to find MTX removal guide. if someone could point me in the right direction and let me know if it's worth replacing the wiring from atx to mtx thanks.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: '91 VR4
PhailosaurusRex is an unknown quantity at this point

Pulling the manual trans is quite straight forward. Drain it, remove the CV axles, pull the battery, battery tray and washer reservoir, intake up to the throttle body, shift cables, speed sensor, backup (reverse) switch, slave cylinder, transmission mount, starter and frame member. Support the trans from above with an engine crane or from below with a transmission jack, remove the bell housing bolts and slip it away from the engine then out the bottom.
Hope I didn't forget to list anything. Basically if it's attached to the trans you make it be not attached then separate it from the engine.

Can't help you with the swap any more than that as I've only dealt with the MTX. If you want/need more info on pulling the MTX just search for how to replace the clutch. The fwd trans should be the same process as an awd trans just without the transfer case.

Have you read up on the clutch pedal box swap?
PhailosaurusRex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 01:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have read up on the pedal, Thank You. I was thinking about fixing up the automatic. but not sure it's fixable. just got the car with the auto today.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Vendor

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3
Feedback Score: 124 reviews

I did this swap 15 years ago. Basically pull the trans, torque converter, flexplate, etc everything related to the trans.

1)If you have mtx wiring swap it in or you have to do some wiring with the park neutral switch. Cruise won't work if you just jumper it to think its in park or neutral all the time.
2)The starters are different.
3)The axles are a little different.
4)Get a 1 1/8" (iirc) hole saw to drill the clutch master cylinder hole when you install the mtx pedal box. You may need a very small drill or right angle adapter to get up in there. Drill it from under the dash outwards. Just get one of the braided clutch lines like stm sells.
5)Its kinda hard to swap the shifter base in the car with the console in, but it can be done if you are a little rough on things. I think I had to cut one little piece of plastic to do it.
6)Flywheel bolts are longer on the mtx so grab them.

That's about all I can remember at the moment, but if you get some specific questions let me know.

Getrag Rebuilds, Strength, and Performance Improvements, Performance Parts, including AEM EMS, ACT Clutch, Southbend Clutch, Spec Clutch,
3000GT Fuel Injector Guide, Walbro, Snow Performance, OEM Mitsubishi Parts, Getrag Parts, Synchros, much more!

Chris @ Rvenge Performance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2019, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: 95 Base, 91 Vr4
XiKevinn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

I think supercar engineering has a step by step. I think thats what I used when I did mine 2 years ago. I quick google search should help.
5zigen Wheels, Greddy Type-S Blow-off Valve, Spec Clutch Stage II, Rob Beck 13T Turbos, Stillen Downpipe, IPS 3" Full Stainless Steel Exhaust, Intrax lowering springs, Walboro 255 fuel pump
99 Audi A6 Quattro Daily Winter Beater

92 3000GT SL ATX 11/11 - 6/13 Parts Car
XiKevinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2019, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Is it possible to remove the trans without removing the CV shafts first? I 've been trying to get the nuts off the shafts on the brake rotor and they won't budge. I snapped my 17" breaker bar with a steel pipe extension trying to remove them. I've heated them, I've sprayed them, I've tried tapping them, I'm at the point of cutting them off with a cutting disk and angle grinder.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Also is the number on the trans supposed to match the vin of the car if it's the original trans? both trans the MTX and ATX have different numbers on them than the cars they are coming out of.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just a question. i know the CV axles aren't5 supposed to be swappable but I pulled them both and put them side by side and butted the teeth together and I can't see a difference in teeth or size. can i def not put a ATX CV axle from a 1997 base into an MTX 1997 base trans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Front Wheel Drive - Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in