Shift Shaft Removal FWD N/A 5 Speed - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Front Wheel Drive - Drivetrain

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind

Matt02724 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Shift Shaft Removal FWD N/A 5 Speed

I couldnt find the answer to this question on any of the forums, or on any google search I made. Ive been a long time owner of these vehicles and im just digging into the one I have now. The issue im having is leaking from the shift shaft. I already have the new seal in my possession from 3SX. I contacted them about this issue and they told me the shift shaft can be removed without taking out the entire transmission. I was doing everything I could to try and remove it today but I dont think there is one possible way to do it on the 5 speed FWD without dropping the transmission. I could be wrong. My question is... Is it possible to do this particular shift shaft without removing the transmission. I couldnt find anything about the 5 speed FWD Shiftshafts anywhere. If anyone has any guidance/knowledge of this matter please please please reach out. I really appreciate it. Thank you.

I will attach an image of my current setup.
Matt02724 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Vendor

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3
Feedback Score: 124 reviews
Default Re: Shift Shaft Removal FWD N/A 5 Speed

You probably need to remove that bolt just under it in your pic.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Getrag Rebuilds, Strength, and Performance Improvements, Performance Parts, including AEM EMS, ACT Clutch, Southbend Clutch, Spec Clutch,
3000GT Fuel Injector Guide, Walbro, Snow Performance, OEM Mitsubishi Parts, Getrag Parts, Synchros, much more!

Chris @ Rvenge Performance is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2019, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Vendor

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3
Feedback Score: 124 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris @ Rvenge Performance View Post
You probably need to remove that bolt just under it in your pic.

I'll see if I can look in the manual later. Haven't had a fwd trans here.

Chris @ Rvenge Performance is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 11:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 92 RT/TT, 96 Cobra
RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3
Feedback Score: 50 reviews

N/A trans requires disassembly to get the shaft out. You can drive the pin out and pull the lever off the shaft. That should allow you to change the seal without removing the shaft.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for the quick responses. I’m going to try and drive that pin out today. I attempted it but it wasn’t budging a few days ago so I just kinda figured nothing would come out. I also looked at the service manual and it showed nothing about disconnecting that top lever. Unless I was looking in the wrong place😩 I will get back as soon as I give it another go. Thanks again!
Old 04-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 92 RT/TT, 96 Cobra
RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3
Feedback Score: 50 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt02724 View Post
Thank you for the quick responses. Iím going to try and drive that pin out today. I attempted it but it wasnít budging a few days ago so I just kinda figured nothing would come out. I also looked at the service manual and it showed nothing about disconnecting that top lever. Unless I was looking in the wrong place😩 I will get back as soon as I give it another go. Thanks again!
If that's got the solid pin and not the spring type roll pin, it can be a bastard to get out... I don't think they intended it to ever come out again. They're usually tapered, and only come out one way, as well as very tightly pressed in. I'd try to rig some type of screw press out of a puller or something. Beating on it that hard is just asking to bend the shaft, then you're screwed, and get to take it apart anyway.
RealMcCoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 11:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
I've been here way too long

Drives: 91 tsi
donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

The mitsu transmissions use the tapered pins. An air hammer is about it for getting them out, heat as well.
donniekak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Drives: 1991 Stealth SOHC
zskynyrd1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem on my 91 Stealth. Took to trans shop beat on it a while No good. Pulled the radiator so I could drill it. Used 3 cobalt bits now I have a hole in the shaft. .Broke 2 c clamps used a 3 jaw puller to try and get the top off still didn't work. I have a seal and boot for the shaft that I have never used. I forgot to tighten one of the radiator hose clamps my daughter took the car and blew the head gasket. Cost me a lot to try and replace that stupid seal. Daryl at a Man Trans in Tallahasse Fl. knows how to do this spoke to him about it when I was buying a reman from them. Daryl laughed when I told him. He said getting it out at his shop is hard on the bench, but it also involves removing one or two screws on the side of the trans. Mine has been leaking on the cardboard in my garage forever. but now my synchro gears are wearing at 128000 mi. so I just bought a reman trans from him.Maybe some one else here knows the exact procedure. But it definately not as simple as it looks. You will probaly need to drop the trans and if it has 100000k miles you might just look at a reman anyway. If not keep a lot of carboard to catch the drip.

Last edited by zskynyrd1974; 04-18-2019 at 08:27 PM. Reason: add to description.
zskynyrd1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 11:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Show me your twins

Drives: 91 VR4, 93 SL
bluee3000gt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

I gave up on trying to take it out on my NA lol. Just left it as is.

Tanabe Super Medallion Hyper exhaust, 0.8 bar WGs, Turbosmart MBC (@1 bar), 3SX turbo pre-pipes, Straight pipe, Greddy Type RS BOV, Greddy FMIC w/ PPE pipes, Stillin DP, HKS twin pod filters, RPS stage 2 clutch, 3sx SS clutch line, Carbing oil catch tank w/braided lines, Krank vents, Ohhnoo's fuel loop, HW fuel pump, 25 spline conversion, PC'd 2G brake swap w/3sx SS lines, Hawk pads, and Stop Tech rotors; Various deletes, PC'd/polished engine stuff, Koyo rad, Greddy coolant cap, DBest custom oil cap, Pit Road M front strut bar, PRM rear strut bar, PRM plug cover, PRM tailights, PRM CF Falcon hood and PRM shift knob, PRM windshield banner, Morgan Motorsports splitter, Volk GT-Cs, Nitto NT555s, 99' front conversion, 99' sail panels, 2G side skirts, 5G Celica mirrors, Retro Spec side splitters, RS rear window visor, RS duck tail spoiler, Factory GTO light up visors, Factory GTO rain guards, Custom fit Top Secret style diffuser for 350z, Aerocraft Kaze lip, Robo mod w/halos, 3G rear garnish, Momo steering wheel, Tein Street Flex coilovers, 3SX control arms, Apexi turbo timer, Blitz boost gauge, Zoom Engineering rear view mirror, Veilside navigators foot rest, Pioneer HU.
bluee3000gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2019, 12:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

So I just got back from the garage and I was able to punch the pin out and replace the seal. What I did was heat up the arm with a torch for a few minutes avoiding all rubber hoses and such, took a punch, and hit it with the hammer a few times. It honestly didnt take much to hit it out after heating it up. THE MOST difficult part was actually getting the arm off the shaft. That thing was on there let me tell you. Had to heat it up a few times, hitting the arm back and fourth, prying it up with a pry bar as one of my buddies hit the arm side to side. Here are some photos of what it looked like.

Lastly I have a quick question. I was able to get everything back together. New seal, New boot....Buuuuut I could not for the life of me bang the pin back in ALL the way. I was wondering if it will be ok as it is? I will attach some photos so you guys can see what im talking about. Thanks again everyone for all the input. Helped a lot!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Front Wheel Drive - Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country