Pounding under throttle use - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > All Wheel Drive - DriveTrain

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2019, 06:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Marsovr4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Pounding under throttle use

Hi everyone, I thought it wi fix it by replacing the drive shaft carrier bearings, but the problem is still there. When I accelerate in low gears or low RPM, you can feel like a kick in the butt everytime I press the throttle, I have had transmission mount going bad on other cars, it is not quite the same feeling.
Could it be the driveshaft bushings? It feels like a play somewhere.
Thank you very much.
Marsovr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 07:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: VR4, XJ
wrongwheeldrive is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Default Re: Pounding under throttle use

check the u-Joint in the driveshaft, particularly the first one off the transfer case.
wrongwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2019, 07:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Thank you will do!

Old 07-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

shutoburner is an unknown quantity at this point

I had violent jerking sort of like what you described and my issue was faulty ECS module. Unplugged it and the jerking was gone. Crazy...
shutoburner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 06:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Thank you, does a 95 has a ECS?
Any tutorials on doing the U-joints? And which one to use as replacement.
Thank you
Old 07-09-2019, 07:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Not sure how the ECS can cause that or if a 95 has it. If it does there is a switch to turn it from sport to tour as well as a light in the dash displaying the status. Easy way to find out, check if there is wiring going to your front struts.

The U-Joint is not a serviceable item as the caps are staked in from the factory so you cant just replace it. Mine bound up and caused the a similar thumping that you described. I changed my carrier bearings in hopes to remedy it and it persisted. thats when i pulled the driveshaft the second time to find the first u-joint had bound up. fixed the issue by replacing the front section of my driveshaft.

have heard of people replacing them with a Montero u-joint and tack welding the caps in. there is very little info on the topic or proof of sound repairs. I saved my DS section to experiment with repair options because the supply of good used items is drying up.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Thank you, I think I will look at it during my day off, I just read about the rear diff bushings, it does sound like my issue as well.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Rear diff bushings will give you a single clunk on shifts or sharp throttle inputs. I recently replaced those as well with polyurethane after getting rid of the rotational thump. There is a good write up on the other forum that shall not be named for a diy approach that saved me a bunch of bucks using energy suspension bushings. A Google search of "3000gt polyurethane rear diff bushing diy" should produce the 3 page thread with photos.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 91 3000GT VR4
jrhorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Indeed there are several threads discussing this issue. I have had this issue since I bought the car 12 years ago. I replaced the driveshaft, replaced a bad motor mount, put in solid year diff bushings, etc, and the problem has persisted. I even swapped in a lower mileage rear diff when mine blew. Each of those slightly improved the problem but there is still a tangible kick/thump when you abruptly go between on/off throttle. It is more pronounced in lower gears (feel it much more in 1st than 5th). I eventually just attributed it to slop internal to the drivetrain components. I have been driving with it for over 100k miles.
Gt-347 Turbo Kit (~13g)--RC 550cc Injectors--Denso Fuel Pump--Apexi S-AFC II--Turboxs Boost Controller--3sx Air Filter--DNP Stainless Intake Pipe Kit--Turboxs BOV--Autometer Boost Gauge--AEM UEGO Wideband O2--EK2 Downpipe--Gutted Precats--Testpipe--Polished VR-4 Plug Wire Cover, Valve Cover, & Plenum--Stage 2 Twin Turbo Clutch Kit--Full Bomex Body Kit
jrhorne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 3000GTs
Albert0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

I have two cars with 5 speeds (25 splines) and one has a clunk like that, replaced the driveshaft, fixed the carrier bearings and still that clunk when the drivetrain is just loaded, noticed that the other car doesn't have any play or slop in the transaxle, if I turn the drive shaft by hand the axles seem to move instantly, on the car with the clunk there is some free play until I can hear the gears moving and the axles starting to move, probably you can also check that, any worn component like the axles, bearings, etc.. will make your car clunk (if you already fixed or taken care of the usual suspects like carrier bearings, u-joints, differential bushings, mounts)
Albert0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > All Wheel Drive - DriveTrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country