A Fix for the Digital Climate Control - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Miscellaneous

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2016, 11:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

WxofxW is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default A Fix for the Digital Climate Control

Hi Everyone! I just wanted to share my experience in trying to repair the Digital Climate Control for my 1993 VR4 and how everything is working now

I bought the car a few years back and it came with an extra DCC that had stopped working. The previous owner bought a newer one off eBay and it seemed fine. The air started smelling fishy not too long after I got the car. Eventually the display stopped working and some smoke came out of the dash. I turned off the AC and took out the DCC. It smelled like smoke and after taking it apart, I noticed that R38 was toast and some caps had leaked all over three diodes. I started surfing all the posts I could possibly find in this forum and on other sites. I spent a lot of time going through the wiki for ecu repair and sending PMs to people who have worked on these things and fixed some in the process.

I replaced the R38 resistor, the TR3 transistor, and a number of capacitors and diodes. I even replaced the control chip for the VFD. But the display had orange lines across the screen and the resistor would still burn up within 10 minutes of runtime. I read that it was near impossible to repair these things once that started happening. I spent over $125 trying to repair the two DCCs myself and didn't get anywhere (this included parts, supplies and tools). I know it sounds high, but I tried repairing both of my displays multiple times over the past year... The second one didn't actually have an issue with R38 burning up, but it still wouldn't turn on. I'm a tinkerer and enjoy this kinda stuff, so I didn't care at first. But I didn't see an end to the spending... So I searched elsewhere for a solution.

I found a post buried in one of the many related to the DCC that mentioned a repair service available on eBay. So I checked it out. The service mentioned doesn't seem to be around anymore, but I did find this!
91 92 93 1997 3000gt Digital Temp Heater Climate Control AC A C Repair Service | eBay

The seller repairs a number of other climate controllers and builds gauge clusters. The majority of positive reviews got me to purchase the service. I paid $80 and shipped ($20 USPS) both of my display units with the flat rectangular controller box as instructed. I asked them to pick the display that was in the best condition and repair it. Then send back everything I shipped them. They actually repaired both units instead! I don't know if it was an accident or not, but who cares! Now I have two DCCs that work flawlessly!

I opened them up to see what they replaced and couldn't tell for sure because they coated the board in a black insulation-like spray paint... This was a bit frustrating since I'd spent so much time trying to fix it myself and will never know what was causing the issues... But oh well, now my AC and heat work without a glitch! I'm just happy that I finally got this thing running again!

Here's a link to a short video I took of the displays after I got them back from the repair shop:
https://youtu.be/8FudvPYqKLg

Thanks for reading. I hope someone finds this post useful.
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016, 11:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Re: A Fix for the Digital Climate Control

Forgot to mention that I'll post back after driving the car for a while to let everyone know how the displays continue to function this summer.

Thanks!
WxofxW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 05:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: Dodge Stealth TT
JackBadBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Thanks for sharing good information

Old 06-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93 VR4
striker3 Level 1striker3 Level 1striker3 Level 1
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

There are two other options as well for those who are tired of dealing with the screens dying. The first, and closest to a direct drop in is the 98/99 climate control. There is still some wiring that needs to be done but the unit bolts right into the dash, but the downside is that the units can be difficult to find and expensive. The second is a Diamante conversion which I am currently working on a complete plug and play setup that will include wiring harness that plugs into the factory harness and a mounting adapter/face plate that will allow the unit to bolt into the factory location and function like stock. The kit would likely not come with the Diamante unit, but they can be easily found at junk yards and online for under $50.

So, if you like the stock climate control and you have problems with it, look into the repair service. If you are tired of dealing with the stock screens dying, look into the other options I mentioned.
striker3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Yeah, I agree striker3.

I really like the light up digital guy sitting in the dash. That's why I was set on getting it fixed. Hopefully these things won't blow for quite a while though. The repair shop did provide a Lifetime Warranty for what it's worth. I also really liked the fact that whatever they did to fix the display got rid of all the issues I was experiencing. I have no horizontal lines and no issues with blinking lights and no smoke! They also did a nice job of cleaning the boards so that terrible fish smell was gone.

Something I also forgot to mention was that the Oil pressure gauge in the car wouldn't light up when the old display was in. Once I removed the display, the back-light would come on while driving at night. If I plugged it back in, the back-light would go dim again... After installing the new display, all my dash lights are working just fine. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but maybe it was causing some unwanted noise in the wiring too.
WxofxW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Red Devil

Drives: '92 VR4, 2015 370Z
Red Devil is an unknown quantity at this point

Great information! Many thanks.
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 R/T TT, 95 Spyder
3krazygt Level 13krazygt Level 1
Feedback Score: 59 reviews

There's a 3rd option

Ignore the glitching, this is old code.

Last edited by 3krazygt; 06-28-2016 at 09:53 AM.
3krazygt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 12:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 3000GTs
Albert0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

What's involved in the 3rd option?
Albert0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

Drives: 1993 Stealth R/T TT
gawdzinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3krazygt View Post
There's a 3rd option

Ignore the glitching, this is old code.
what is this?

Mods from stock:
Extreme Dimensions reproduction 1996 Stealth spoiler, VMS 10mm spark plug wires with their aluminum separators, NGK BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs gapped down to 0.32", Touren TR9 3190 wheels, Maximal high flow main catalytic converter, PowerStop front/rear slotted & drilled brake rotors with pads, T-bolt stainless clamps, Curt trailer hitch, 2nd gen rear bumper aluminum reinforcement, LED backup & license plate bulbs, Pioneer AVH-X2500BT with backup camera, DSM SMICs converted by oohnoo, 3S warehouse sidemount oil cooler, EVO 8/9 blow off valve, EGR blockoff plates, Vented hood blister mod, Rebuilt stock throttle body, Stainless bolt kit, LCDBC as an ECU monitor, 3SX Stainless-Steel Braided Brake Lines, 3SX Door Sills, High speed cooling fan mod, Retractable license plate holder, 3SX rear control arms, Snake eye mod, Pilot WI-HL6A 4656 Head Lamp Conversion Kit, K&N oil filter, Stant XACTSTAT #48217 thermostat, DNP Y pipe, Maximal 5-Speed Transfer Case Bracket
gawdzinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 92 R/T TT, 95 Spyder
3krazygt Level 13krazygt Level 1
Feedback Score: 59 reviews

Haha, just casually leaking content on the internet.

Been working on it for months.

It also works with Blackstealth's LCD logger. It's cool, its complicated, and coming relatively soon.
3krazygt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Miscellaneous

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country