1G fan control and Chrome - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Advanced Technical Discussions > ECU Tuning

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2019, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum user

lobo2112 Level 1lobo2112 Level 1
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Default 1G fan control and Chrome

I'm finally getting around to worrying about fan control on my car. I didn't get the fan control cables with my harness (I purchased it from blkstealth i believe) as I wasn't really concerned about going to an ECU control set up. But the fans always being on full blast all the time is wearing thin.

Looking at the cooling circuit diagram for a 91 though I can't for the life of me understand why changing the ECU to the 99 would affect the cooling circuit at all... The only inputs to this system appear to be pwr, ign, and the A-C lock controller. The rest of the system is simple relays and thermo switches, with nothing except for possibly the A-C controller interfacing with the ECU...

I'd be perfectly content getting the fans controlled via the original circuit as I'm not thrilled about the idea of crawling back under the dash to redo ECU wiring and fish more fires through to the engine bay.

Any one here who can provide any insight?
Pampena Stage 2 block, Billet DR-650s, GCTech headers, precat + cat deletes, "GT-Pro" ported heads, supertech +1mm valves, BC springs/retainers, solid lifters, Delta 280 cams, Fidanza cam gears, BoostAddict BFG oil pump gears, Chrome V2, 650cc delphi's, AEM "Honda" FPR, hotwired Walbro 400
lobo2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Verified Seller

vipershark11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Default Re: 1G fan control and Chrome

Should have nothing to do with swapping the ecu. On a 91 the 2 sensors in the bottom of your radiator control the fans. Iirc they're 2 different temps and click the fans on once each has been reached. When I swapped to chrome on my 91 and 92 they both functioned as they did with the factory computers until I ran the 2 wires for fan control.
vipershark11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum user

I agree, that's why I'm so confused. According to the circuit diagram, neither fan should be on at all with the coolant still cold and the AC off... but as soon as the key is on the fans are cranking. Unless maybe one of the temp switches failed closed?

Old 07-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Verified Seller

vipershark11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 54 reviews

I'd say either that or you have your ac or defroster on.
vipershark11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2019, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 92 RT/TT, 96 Cobra
RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3
Feedback Score: 50 reviews

^^^ agreed. You probably disconnected the battery... Turn the climate control back off and see what happens.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum user

Just a quick update from this weekend... with climate control completely turned off and defroster off both fans still run when the engine is cold (sub 140 deg.). I'm installing a new radiator this weekend and I'll test the relays and the switches before I swap them over, but does anyone have any other ideas just in case? This is such a simple circuit I really can't see any other way for this to be happening other than either the switches or the relays having failed closed.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 92 RT/TT, 96 Cobra
RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3RealMcCoy Level 3
Feedback Score: 50 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo2112 View Post
Just a quick update from this weekend... with climate control completely turned off and defroster off both fans still run when the engine is cold (sub 140 deg.). I'm installing a new radiator this weekend and I'll test the relays and the switches before I swap them over, but does anyone have any other ideas just in case? This is such a simple circuit I really can't see any other way for this to be happening other than either the switches or the relays having failed closed.
They running high speed or low speed? low speed just about has to the the HVAC. High speed could easily be a shorted switch.
RealMcCoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum user

I'm assuming hi speed since they sound like the same speed at 90 deg or 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Advanced Technical Discussions > ECU Tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in