Went to get Allignment after wreck...bent Engine Cradle... plus more/need advice - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2019, 08:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

sean.irwin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Went to get Allignment after wreck...bent Engine Cradle... plus more/need advice

Hey guys,

Sad day for me especially. Wrecked the car a while back in December; let it sit for a long time after I got my first opinion on the damage. Fixed a few things, replaced some sheared bolts and a dented oil pan, plus tie rods as well. I finally nutted it up to try and get it aligned, but the first opinion I got was the same as the second.

I have a bent engine cradle, which is causing my FR tire to have some positive camber ( this is the side of the car that impacted first in the ditch). They also said my caster is off in the front along with a RR bent knuckle assembly and the toe in the RR is off. They could not align it until further restoration of the car (I have the allignemt sheet with all the specs, will post when I make it home tonight). I’m kind of at a loss because I love this car and the frame shop I went to after said that you have to replace the engine cradle completely and no telling what else is wrong. I am an avid DIY and have been doing all my own work on the car. I have done all spark plugs (yes even the three under the intake plenum), engine gaskets, installed afternarket down pipe, gutted precats, done the oil pan removal and reseal, replaced starter, bled the brakes, rebuilt the calipers, and replace front hub assembly’s / rear inner and outer wheel bearings as well. My dad was a professional mechanic for a long time and I grasped a descent amount about cars while he was around. He is the reason (bought it for my college grad present) I have this car and he just passed in late March, so I really wanted to make this thing a monster in his memory. I’ve put alot of time into it already and just want to see what options I have.

- Pull the Engine myself and replace the cradle (need adivice on how hard this could be) will have brothers help/he’s still worthless lmao
- Take it to my mechanic to do the work of replacing cradle (too broke for that shit)
- Buy a Roller and just transfer over the Drive Train (Dunno how much a descent roller would be)
- Cut my losses and get rid of my biggest memory of my dad (absolutely do not want to)

All and any advice would be very helpfully guys, thanks!
sean.irwin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Amsterdamn

Drives: 85 Monte Carlo SS
Turbo Beast Level 2Turbo Beast Level 2Turbo Beast Level 2Turbo Beast Level 2
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Default Re: Went to get Allignment after wreck...bent Engine Cradle... plus more/need advice

Get a roller.

It’s a bottomless pit when the unibody is twisted.

Turbo Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

lobo2112 Level 1lobo2112 Level 1
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Default Re: Went to get Allignment after wreck...bent Engine Cradle... plus more/need advice

^ +2

Reach out to Aaron Chandler on the FB 3s groups or you can try him here (he seems to be more active on facebook these days). If he doesn't have a clean roller himself he may be able to point you to one.
Pampena Stage 2 block, Billet DR-650s, GCTech headers, precat + cat deletes, "GT-Pro" ported heads, supertech +1mm valves, BC springs/retainers, solid lifters, Delta 280 cams, Fidanza cam gears, BoostAddict BFG oil pump gears, Chrome V2, 650cc delphi's, AEM "Honda" FPR, hotwired Walbro 400
lobo2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo2112 View Post
^ +2

Reach out to Aaron Chandler on the FB 3s groups or you can try him here (he seems to be more active on facebook these days). If he doesn't have a clean roller himself he may be able to point you to one.
What’s the going rate for a roller around or over 100k miles?
Old 05-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 3000GTs
Albert0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Engine cradle? You mean the front subframe/crossmember? It's not that hard to replace and I think it's worth to try to fix it, also it's the same for all the years and models, you don't need to remove the engine, just undo the rear engine bolt. If there is still something wrong after that well.. a new roller can be a an option lol..
Albert0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2019, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Amsterdamn

Drives: 85 Monte Carlo SS
Turbo Beast Level 2Turbo Beast Level 2Turbo Beast Level 2Turbo Beast Level 2
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert0 View Post
Engine cradle? You mean the front subframe/crossmember? It's not that hard to replace and I think it's worth to try to fix it, also it's the same for all the years and models, you don't need to remove the engine, just undo the rear engine bolt. If there is still something wrong after that well.. a new roller can be a an option lol..

If the subframe and cross members are bent, I figure there’s more underneath.
Turbo Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
The engine cradle is bent. Here are some pics
My bumper picture you can see from right to left the gap between my hood and bumper gets smaller. The impact was on that side where the cradle is bent. My RF tire has positive camber it’s bent so bad LMAO
Old 05-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Beast View Post
Quote:
The subframe crossmember that goes under the Tranny was as bent a little bit as well.

If the subframe and cross members are bent, I figure there’s more underneath.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

Drives: 1993 Stealth R/T TT
gawdzinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

my understanding is that if the four engine braces metal are bent/tweaked (i view it as a rectangular box), those parts can be replaced as Albert0 said.
But if the car/unibody, that the four engine braces attaches, to are (also) bent/tweaked, then you need a new "roller".
again, that is my understanding, but i could be wrong.
my guess, by looking at the photo, is that the car/unibody is bent.

Mods from stock:
Reproduction 1996 Stealth spoiler, VMS 10mm spark plug wires with their aluminum separators, NGK BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs gapped to 0.32", Touren TR9 3190 wheels, Maximal high flow main catalytic converter, PowerStop front/rear slotted & drilled brake rotors and pads, Tiny catch can, Curt trailer hitch, 2nd gen rear bumper aluminum reinforcement, LED backup & license plate & interior bulbs, Pioneer AVH-X2500BT with backup camera, DSM SMICs converted by oohnoo, 3S warehouse sidemount oil cooler, EVO 8/9 blow off valve, EGR blockoff plates, Vented hood blister mod, Stainless bolt kit, LCDBC as an ECU monitor, 3SX Stainless-Steel Braided Brake Lines, 3SX Door Sills, High speed cooling fan mod, Retractable license plate holder, 3SX rear control arms, Snake eye mod, Pilot WI-HL6A 4656 Head Lamp Conversion Kit, K&N oil filter, Stant XACTSTAT #48217 thermostat, DNP Y pipe, Maximal 5-Speed Transfer Case Bracket, ACPT carbon fiber driveshaft
gawdzinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawdzinner View Post
my understanding is that if the four engine braces metal are bent/tweaked (i view it as a rectangular box), those parts can be replaced as Albert0 said.
But if the car/unibody, that the four engine braces attaches, to are (also) bent/tweaked, then you need a new "roller".
again, that is my understanding, but i could be wrong.
my guess, by looking at the photo, is that the car/unibody is bent.
So the engine brace is not apart of the engine cradle/subframe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country