Timing question is this supposed to turn? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2019, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93'+98' 3Kgt SL DOHC
HOTROB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Timing question is this supposed to turn?

So I set the timing and wonder if I messed something up.https://youtu.be/UYij4A7hY3s
HOTROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
I've been here way too long

Drives: 91 tsi
donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Default Re: Timing question is this supposed to turn?

The timing gear isn’t seated all the way back on the crank. This allows the pins to come out of the reluctor wheel. I’d take it back apart, make sure all the parts are still there, and do it again. Keeping a crank bolt and washer on the crank keeps that from happening.
donniekak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2019, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '93 na atx 3kgt DOHC
white93gt Level 1white93gt Level 1

No it’s not suppose to turn like that, won’t run that way. In addion to what donniekak said I guestion if you have the spacer on back to sandwich ninja star (reluctor plate) to crank cog gear. That plate has a keyway slot that shouldn’t let it turn unless it moves in past key which spacer shouldn't allow. There is also roll pin that holds crank gear, ninja star and back spacer together and aligned when not on crank.

http://www.ninjaperformance.com/mits...-p-219671.html

https://www.3sx.com/timing-trigger-b...cam-gear-93-99

Last edited by white93gt; 06-28-2019 at 08:44 PM.
white93gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

I took it apart and put it back on as one unit snapped csck together on the gear with the nipples through the sensing blade and spacer, then set the timing again.
https://youtu.be/R4Q-0Vb3Ux0
Is this good to button up now?
Old 06-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Looks like you got timing procedure correct. I assume the sensing blade will not turn now, if so I’d say you got all that correct. But I’m concerned by what you’re hearing when rotating, can’t imagine why any sound would be present or tight spots felt.

Do you have any spark plugs installed?
Did you remove any cams from heads?
Is sensing blade passing cleanly thru crank sensor slot and cam blade cleanly thru that sensor slot?
Noticed lower intake manifold holes not covered, any chance you might have dropped something down in there?
Old 06-29-2019, 02:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by white93gt View Post
Looks like you got timing procedure correct. I assume the sensing blade will not turn now, if so I’d say you got all that correct. But I’m concerned by what you’re hearing when rotating, can’t imagine why any sound would be present or tight spots felt.

Do you have any spark plugs installed?
Did you remove any cams from heads?
Is sensing blade passing cleanly thru crank sensor slot and cam blade cleanly thru that sensor slot?
Noticed lower intake manifold holes not covered, any chance you might have dropped something down in there?
I do have the spark plugs installed which is why compression might be keeping it tight at spots. Gurgling sounds like oil might be burping up into the cams from the oil pump. Don't know if I said it in video, but the sensing blade and spacer I clicked together with the nipples in the little holes in both the sensing blade and the spacer. So, no the sensing blade won't turn anymore. Both sensors and blades had proper clearance and fine. The cams I never took off, but did take the cap end off the #4 cam to remove the old seal that I accidentally put in backwards. I did have the torque spec and torque those 2 bolts for that cam cap which was different on the ends than on the middle pieces.
I know I didn't drop anything in there because the few flakes that fell in, I got out when having the valve covers off.

Lower intake manifold holes? What are those? Now I am curious what is not covered.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

OK… Plugs being installed explains the tight spots and gurgling sound could even be lifter pushing oil out because no oil pressure with engine not running. From your explanations I’d say you’re good to go.

Lower intake manifold holes are the six large holes opened when plenum removed. Any thing that goes in there ends up in intake valves or cylinder. I think I noticed that from one of your videos on other thread.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by white93gt View Post
OK… Plugs being installed explains the tight spots and gurgling sound could even be lifter pushing oil out because no oil pressure with engine not running. From your explanations I’d say you’re good to go.

Lower intake manifold holes are the six large holes opened when plenum removed. Any thing that goes in there ends up in intake valves or cylinder. I think I noticed that from one of your videos on other thread.
Thanks for the insight. I don't think I had the holes on the intake uncovered at all. I had 0ut blue painters tape over them immediately after removing the plentum. I did have them open for a few minutes as I changed the seal before putting the plentum back on. And yes, I think I had a video showing the new gasket on it without the tape, but I am sure nothing went in there....lol. I thought it was something from this video, so I was wondering. Glad I got that side closed up before the sudden storms came our of nowhere.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Another piece of advice, when you put lower timing belt cover on make sure crank sensor wire is routed and secured to keep timing belt from rubbing thru wires. Of course same for cam sensor wire, but seems most mistakes are made on crank sensor wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country