Timing Belts - Anyone Running a MitsubOshi Belt? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 94 RT
edge is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Timing Belts - Anyone Running a MitsubOshi Belt?

Not too long ago these Mitsuboshi t-belts were thought be a good lower price aftermarket alternative to the OEM t-belt. If you have been running the Mitsuboshi belt, how has it worked out ?

If you recently bought a OEM belt is it still made by Gates Unitta - Japan ?

FWIW, I am currently running a Mitsuboshi aftermarket belt on a 99 Toy Avalon V6 . There have been no problems since the install 3 years ago, but this is a low use vehicle. They are the OE supplier for Toyota for this particular engine and also for some Subaru and Honda. This belt was part of the popular Aisin t-belt kit for these cars, and appeared to look identical to the OEM belt.
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
I've been here way too long

Drives: 91 tsi
donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2donniekak Level 2
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Default Re: Timing Belts - Anyone Running a MitsubOshi Belt?

I’ve run several of them problem free.
donniekak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Vendor

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3
Feedback Score: 124 reviews

I've been running Gates ones for a while. Super cheap and quality. The T195 kit is on our site.

Getrag Rebuilds, Strength, and Performance Improvements, Performance Parts, including AEM EMS, ACT Clutch, Southbend Clutch, Spec Clutch,
3000GT Fuel Injector Guide, Walbro, Snow Performance, OEM Mitsubishi Parts, Getrag Parts, Synchros, much more!

Chris @ Rvenge Performance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 3000GTs
Albert0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

5 years with one mitsuboshi and no problems at all, looks almost new. Also used gates, continental, but I always used the OEM tensioner, nothing else, even the new ones from Korea worked fine.
Albert0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 94 VR4
UnlikelyDoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Currently running one too. No issues or complaints. But also have OEM tensioner.
UnlikelyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019, 03:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Jonny o is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I was gonna keep my mouth shut because I know that I’m a rookie here and a lot of you guys have helped me out with the new 92 vr4 that I recently purchased in as is condition with a 9/10 black exterior and 9/10 tan interior. But the car jumped time prior to my purchase from the original owner a month ago.
So anyway let’s go back to around February 1993 I’m a senior in High school driving my 1500 ish miles black brand new 3000gt Vr4 to Automotive HS in Brooklyn ny when I’m driving very slow in stop/Go traffic from one end of Brooklyn to the other end in morning ice cold rush hour. I never ever beat on this bone stock car keep in mind. All of a sudden the light turns green and as I’m accelerating in first gear I gear 3 very quiet backfires almost like small firecrackers (not that hollow pop that gunshots make. This was more of a pop. Almost like a glass bottle breaking without the echo). Anyway it stalls out. When I go to start it again the starter just cranked the engine with no resistance at all. As a vocational high school student majoring in Automotive technology I knew exactly what happened and right then I knew that I wasn’t gunna drive this again for a long time.
Took a walk to the pay phone and called up my mom ,even tho I was paying for the car she had to buy it for me because I was only 17 when I bought it. So she had the car picked up by the dealership. And they said the timing belt that my car was made with had a section of weak uneven stitching and a bunch of teeth broke off the belt and then shredded the outer half of the belt then it finally completely breaking apart, and after it broke it took both cylinder heads with it. Everything was covered under the warranty and they gave me a loner car till mine was ready.
So I know that a lot of y’all are pro oem timing components. And I am too. I have been the mechanic for my cousin’s vr4 for the past 24 years since his warranty expired. And I always forced him to replace his timing components with genuine Mitsubishi oem parts only especially that tensioner adjuster. I’ve worked on a lot of 6g72 variations of this engine in different cars and I’ve seen so many of those aftermarket tensioners let go less then a week after a customer had a 60k service with a mechanic using that eBay kit. The tensioner always leaks and let’s go and it’s caused more customers then not to just come back with the title to the car and say here merry Christmas. Because the heads where gone all because the mechanic cut corners to pay $50 and charge a customer $600 in 60k parts. But anyway back to my opinion. Yes I would rather re use someone’s oem tensioner and pulleys before I use aftermarket parts. But the oem Mitsubishi timing belt I lost faith in 25 years ago.
Oh btw I started my nyc career as a transit police officer in 1995 and that vr4 was stolen from a F-ing police employees and RMP police vehicles parking lot in 1996 and was never heard from again.

The car that I just purchased that jumped time had genuine oem timing components and a gates racing blue timing belt. The car still ran and the belt was tight and the only marks that were off was the crankshaft timing mark was about 5 teeth off. But I think the dealership tech dropped the upper timing cover bolt collar down into the timing compartment while inspecting the condition of the timing belt at the previous owners request during a slave cylinder replacement job and failed to own up to his mistake because the car started to run like this on his way home from that visit to the dealership.

Just sayin
Jonny o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country