Talk me out of (or into) gutted interior. - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2019, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Keith

Drives: 1995 R/T TT
sen2two is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Default Talk me out of (or into) gutted interior.

I kind of sort of have full interior still. The only things that are really missing are the glove box, door panels, trunk area things, and radio. Everything else is stock. All Plastics, roof liner, seats, carpet Etc... but I would really like to get below 3000 pounds driving. The car weighed in at 3270 as is. (Tip Top full tank of gas and 15 or 20 lb of junk in the backseat)I took out about another 80 or so pounds since then. So if I'm close to or less than quarter tank of gas, I may be around 3100-3150 pounds.

This car, while not my daily driver. I do drive to work, the store, and miscellaneous places. I do not mind whatsoever driving a gutted car. I had a previous daily driver that had a Kirkey aluminum seat and absolutely zero interior, no dash all that.

The one thing that is keeping me from stripping the car completely is Heat. Which may sound weird, because I live in Florida. Contrary to most people's beliefs, Florida does get decently cold, and it's a moist, cut your bone cold that is weird. I'm already in the process of removing the AC, which I never used not even once even when it was working. But more so, to keep the windshield from fogging when it rains. Which for a good three months it rains every day here.

Basically, has anybody here completely gutted their interior including the dash and kept the heat? I'm curious how you set up the vents and the heater core.

Only other questions would be what was the actual weight savings after (Not including seats)? 50lbs? 100 lbs? More...?
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
I've been here way too long

Drives: 1992 3000GT VR4
Warzone is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Default Re: Talk me out of (or into) gutted interior.

I used a Remote Heater Core + Blower intended for Racecars from summit racing when I was about that gutted interior life, honestly that piece weighed more then the stock stuff did - not really worth it.

Not worth it to gut the interior at all unless you are competitively racing the car, it does not weigh that much, but does wonders for road noise. - the heaviest bits are the front Seats, and you'll never really notice the weight difference anyways.
Warzone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2019, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Duper Mod

Drives: deals
lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3
Feedback Score: 111 reviews

I weighed all the rear plastics and rear seats when I pulled them, it was something but certainly not close to 100lbs. If your seats are already lightweight, I don't think there's much left to lose. Every pound is a pound closer of course. The A/C is what, 35 lbs give or take? That's more than the rest of your interior I'd think. Unless you still have your spare tire back there, and your an under your seat.
Originally Posted by ray pampena View Post
Cant we all just smile and get along?
No!
lawdogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 04:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: 1991 GTO TT
enkaio is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Completely gutted including dash, still in the process of making some minor panels to keep wiring out of reach and not look to messy.

I can't tell you if it's a good thing or not, but all that luxory plastic 'supercar' stuff inside does nothing to me. Most is just faded or cracked anyway on mine, or was. While many prefer a clean look and spend $$$ for the pristine collector car look (I respect that), I just daily mine bare as it is.
It works, stuffs easy accessible, easy to keep clean and that is all. I didn't do it for weight but last I checked I am around 3000 pound. But I removed more than just all of the interior. Still got popup headlights and all stock hood, doors fenders and windows as well as stock seats. Currently doing seat brackets for racing seats, and removed a bunch of other things (ECS and front Active aero) , which might put me in the lower 29xx range.

As for heater, universal rally units are about 1.5kg to 3kg (3-7pound) Depending on size and additional features, (valve for controlling flow = heat regulation) and blower motor fan speed steps.

I got a 'big' 5kw heater with 4 exits (2 window, 2 seats) @5.5pound with full heat and blower control. It's way to much power for the GTO and I do drive mine daily in the snow during winter periods. I think the smaller 2. 2KW units with 3 pound weight are enough if you are really picky about weight.

Example: (Euro based, pretty sure there is enough stuff like that in the US)
https://www.competitionsupplies.com/heaters-demisters

The lower one is my unit, top is the oem stuff removed. Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20171209_18_26_18_Pro_LI_1559812222096.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	268481
enkaio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2019, 06:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkaio View Post
Completely gutted including dash, still in the process of making some minor panels to keep wiring out of reach and not look to messy.

I can't tell you if it's a good thing or not, but all that luxory plastic 'supercar' stuff inside does nothing to me. Most is just faded or cracked anyway on mine, or was. While many prefer a clean look and spend $$$ for the pristine collector car look (I respect that), I just daily mine bare as it is.
It works, stuffs easy accessible, easy to keep clean and that is all. I didn't do it for weight but last I checked I am around 3000 pound. But I removed more than just all of the interior. Still got popup headlights and all stock hood, doors fenders and windows as well as stock seats. Currently doing seat brackets for racing seats, and removed a bunch of other things (ECS and front Active aero) , which might put me in the lower 29xx range.

As for heater, universal rally units are about 1.5kg to 3kg (3-7pound) Depending on size and additional features, (valve for controlling flow = heat regulation) and blower motor fan speed steps.

I got a 'big' 5kw heater with 4 exits (2 window, 2 seats) @5.5pound with full heat and blower control. It's way to much power for the GTO and I do drive mine daily in the snow during winter periods. I think the smaller 2. 2KW units with 3 pound weight are enough if you are really picky about weight.

Example: (Euro based, pretty sure there is enough stuff like that in the US)
https://www.competitionsupplies.com/heaters-demisters

The lower one is my unit, top is the oem stuff removed. Attachment 268481
Do you have any pictures of how you set up the heater assembly?

The carpet and dash seem to be the area where the weight is concentrated. So if I do go ahead with removing everything. The dash has to go as well.
sen2two is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2019, 06:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warzone View Post
I used a Remote Heater Core + Blower intended for Racecars from summit racing when I was about that gutted interior life, honestly that piece weighed more then the stock stuff did - not really worth it.

Not worth it to gut the interior at all unless you are competitively racing the car, it does not weigh that much, but does wonders for road noise. - the heaviest bits are the front Seats, and you'll never really notice the weight difference anyways.
Same thing, do you have pics of how you set up the aftermarket heater core assembly?
sen2two is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2019, 07:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum user

Drives: 1991 GTO TT
enkaio is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I just made some brackets and put it on stock mounting positions below the dash.
Where the old heater was mounted.

I still want a dash, or better said, some cover for the wires, but had no dash until now, the current idea, is lighter than stock and way smaller. (still working on it).
Attached Thumbnails
Talk me out of (or into) gutted interior.-wp_20171209_21_01_00_pro_li_1559823458252.jpg   Talk me out of (or into) gutted interior.-img_20181216_180025_1559823584471.jpg   Talk me out of (or into) gutted interior.-img_20180901_160111_1559824140541.jpg  

Last edited by enkaio; 06-06-2019 at 07:29 AM.
enkaio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2019, 08:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
Same thing, do you have pics of how you set up the aftermarket heater core assembly?
I do somewhere, but it was still mounted behind the stock dash, as having absolutely zero interior is absolutely stupid for any street car.

I was 2690lbs with Carpet, door panels, power mirrors, locks, and windows, heat, full dash and center console, with still all stock sheetmetal and glass. Now I'm 3780lbs with Ice Cold AC, and a quiet comfortable interior with all the creature comforts, but on the street, just as fast as the 2700lb car was. in Straight line and top end, I'm even faster, and it will be still be great to toss around on the track casually within my own limits.

There are so many better ways to eliminate weight through Carbon, Aluminum, Titanium, etc. Or just make up for the weight with Tire, Aero, and Horsepower

Shaving 12lbs of interior will just make the car a loud rattle box inside, and give you absolutely zero difference in how the car actually performs since you are not using it in any competitive racing series. If it's purely for drag racing, that weight makes even less of a difference.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
LS3S

Drives: LS3S-Stealth LS1/T56
MDoe8 Level 1MDoe8 Level 1
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

The bare dash itself isn’t that heavy. If you are desperate for the last few pounds, you can consider removing everything except the basic shell of the dash and the hvac. Not worth it in my opinion though. You’d be better off cutting rotating mass.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Get rid of the boat anchor 6G72 and put a all aluminium LS-X engine in it.

or a Rotary with billet aluminum "Irons" I think a 1500hp capable fully assembled short block is like 85lbs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in