Suggestions for siding and painting undercarriage pieces. - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93'+98' 3Kgt SL DOHC
HOTROB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default Suggestions for siding and painting undercarriage pieces.

So while I have the motor out I want to sand and paint the 3 pieces I have removed from the undercarriage of the engine bay as well as the black piece by the firewall that the control arms bolt onto.

Has anyone done this and what grits of sandpaper and paint would you suggest?

I am guessing just something light to rough up the paint with and then maybe 3-5 fresh coats of spray paint.
HOTROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 07:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1992 3000GT VR4
Warzone is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Default Re: Suggestions for siding and painting undercarriage pieces.

I would use this stuff, https://www.summitracing.com/search/...oview=SKU&ar=1 It goes on thick with a brush, prep is fairly easy - and gives a very durable near powdercoat like coating on the parts - Looks great when dry.

You can slap the stuff right over top of rust if necessary, but if you really want a good finish, it's best to sand and prep it.

for parts like those, I typically just clean them really well - hit any flaking paint/rust with a wire brush on a drill, then wet sand it thoroughly with 220 grit, if you really want to take it a step further finish it with 500 grit sand paper or so.
Warzone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: VR4, RSTI, LS2 RX7
fastfalcon94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 105 reviews

Any undercarriage stuff you pull you can scrub with water/dawn and a stiff bristled brush. If there are any rust spots I normally use an angle grinder with wire wheel disk to clean up. If they were real rusty you could sandblast the parts, or let them soak for a few days in a tub of apple cider vinegar.

When it comes to paint, I like rustoleum professional primer and rustoleum professional semi-flat. That's what I used on my subframe. If anything needs undercoating I like to use 3m professional undercoating. It tends to have a more satin finish. Some of the other undercoats like duplicolor will be a flat black or even brownish which I don't like.

I've never had any luck with por15 going over rust... even using their blue prep stuff. The rust will bubble under the paint and then eventually chip off leaving it almost worst than before. For stuff that is too far gone, or more of a daily driver I'll use NH Oil. It's like a black fluid film so it protects and makes it look good. This is my truck.

Built motor, DR750s, AEM and Meth
http://www.802projects.com
fastfalcon94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1992 3000GT VR4
Warzone is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I'm with you, I don't think you should ever put anything over rust, because it will just find a way to continue to rust anyways and end up flaking off, but POR says you "Can"

really any rust found should be completely removed, otherwise it will just spread again - usually a wire brush will scrub enough of it away, and then throw a rust converter over top of it - or cut it out.
Warzone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

rossb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I used corroseal on the underside of my F150 several years ago and it seems to be holding up just fine. A gallon should be plenty. Basically I went to town with a wire brush to remove as much surface rust as I could and then put it on with a paint brush.
rossb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elevate

Drives: '95 3000gt VR-4
vSol is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

It sounds like he is just talking about the subframe pieces?

If you want the BEST durability, have all the pieces powdercoated by bringing them somewhere locally. They will sand blast them (to clean) and put a durable finish paint on them that is better than anything you can get in a can.

If you want the paint your doing yourself to have it's best chance to stick, here is the prep I normally do. These steps are just as, if not more important, than the can of paint that you choose to use:

Wash the piece really well with dish soap or something that will help cut through grease and oil, get all crud and residue off. Rinse it very well (and scrub without soap to get all detergent off)

Wire wheel every spot I can

Sand it with 320grit as this is what most paint prep directions say

Wash it again, soap+water, then rinse excessively while rubbing with clean rag that has not had any soap on it

Dry it

Rub it down with rubbing alcohol or a "paint prep" product

Wait until it is bone dry (I waited a full day for my rear subframe lol)

Paint it per the can's directions, 3-5 coats typically. First coat light, medium coats thereafter
Old 06-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Money pit owner.

Drives: 1993 Stealth R/T TT
gawdzinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

powder coating is the best durability, "exhaust" rated spray paints are good too for durability. Most spray paints are easily scratched, or easily wiped off with solvent if you are doing a cleanup, so that is the bad part about spray paints. I had some exhaust spray paint that would not wipe off with lacquer thinner, tough stuff but can be scratched.

Mods from stock:
Reproduction 1996 Stealth spoiler, VMS 10mm spark plug wires with their aluminum separators, NGK BKR6EIX-11 spark plugs gapped to 0.32", Touren TR9 3190 wheels, Maximal high flow main catalytic converter, PowerStop front/rear slotted & drilled brake rotors and pads, Tiny catch can, Curt trailer hitch, 2nd gen rear bumper aluminum reinforcement, LED backup & license plate & interior bulbs, Pioneer AVH-X2500BT with backup camera, DSM SMICs converted by oohnoo, 3S warehouse sidemount oil cooler, EVO 8/9 blow off valve, EGR blockoff plates, Vented hood blister mod, Stainless bolt kit, LCDBC as an ECU monitor, 3SX Stainless-Steel Braided Brake Lines, 3SX Door Sills, High speed cooling fan mod, Retractable license plate holder, 3SX rear control arms, Snake eye mod, Pilot WI-HL6A 4656 Head Lamp Conversion Kit, K&N oil filter, Stant XACTSTAT #48217 thermostat, DNP Y pipe, Maximal 5-Speed Transfer Case Bracket, ACPT carbon fiber driveshaft
gawdzinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 94 vr4
billyfrancis40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Basically just as about everyone is saying but I use a moisturizer barrier similar to por15 but summit racing brand then powdercoat or undercoat to liking. Wire wheel or sandblast is best. I soaked everything in dawn platinum dish soda to help breakdown dirt and grease build up from the years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country