Project 5 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 2019 Off-Road Taco
Blue86SVO is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Project 5

After many months accumulating parts and getting everything ready I am finally going to get my 94 up, running, and finished. Goal is to be at 5xx hp, 5xx torque (hence Project 5), completely redone interior, and keep the car as stock looking as possible.

Car was in a sandwich accident about two years ago, ended up pushed underneath an Expedition. Wasn’t real hard, but enough to set off the airbags (and for insurance to total the car). Had the frame checked, front apron repaired, all chassis work completed in January. I now have all the parts to repair 100%, including the front active aero parts.

I am in Texas 3S and some other facebook groups, but that just doesn’t seem the place to cover a long term build of a car, so I am dropping everything here.

Last, Project 5 is my prep car for Project 7, which I have found the perfect car for, just need to finish this car so I have garage space. 500+hp doesn’t seem real difficult to get to, but 700+ is a bit more challenging – and more fun!

So, what’s up:

• DR-650’s with Kinugawa waste gate actuators
• 650cc injectors (I have 850’s in case I feel like trying e85)
• CXR side mounts
• Adjustable FPR
• 300lph pump with hotwire kit
• Jester’s chrome ECU and MAF
• 3 inch turbo back, no precats
• All new foam and leather for the seats
• New windshield
• New airbags, sensors, etc because Expedition
• Stupid aluminum radiator
• Main and engine wiring harnesses rebuilt (the single largest pain in my a$& ever, there’s like 10 miles of wiring in the front of these cars)
• EVO X MR wheels powdercoated bronze with Potenza RE-71Rs
• New headlights (not the robomods in the pic)
• Local shop with a great rep to repaint the car original B34 Danube Blue Mica.

Car has 75k on it, and going to keep stock internals. I may add a methanol kit to make sure I land in solidly in the 500+ range without stressing the internals too much.

Now just need to get it all installed with all the free time I have… anyway, some pics of where I am with the car today.
Attached Thumbnails
Project 5-img_0848.jpg   Project 5-img_1015.jpg   Project 5-img_1005.jpg  
Blue86SVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
SDSU Alumnus

Drives: VR-4, EVO VIII & X
bboyalan Level 1bboyalan Level 1bboyalan Level 1
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Default Re: Project 5

Great project name! Do you have any pictures of the accident? That sounds like one hell of a story considering you saved the car.

Are the 650's the cast units? If so, do you know which ones? Apparently, there were a few iterations of them (Hitachi wheels, etc) before the billets became available. Also, lol @ "stupid aluminum radiator" I feel you on the harness as I unraveled the entire engine one a few years ago.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

'10 EVO X SE - AEM WMI, COBB SF, K&N UICP, Tomei Titanium CBE - 300//350 on 91+Meth
'04 EVO VIII SSL - CBRD BBK Full turbo, full support, lots of suspension - 350 on Pump-E85
'92 VR-4 - Panda v.3 build - Fully built, AEM EMS S2, MHI EVO3 16G's - 536AWHP VD SAE on E85+Meth (for now)
"There are no secrets better kept than the secrets that everybody guesses."
bboyalan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doc

Drives: 93 VR4, 91 GTO
68Whiskey is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Sounds like a great build -- almost like where these cars should've been from factory!

Subbed, I need a mild street car to compliment my big build.

BSN, RN, EMT
68Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Just another vr4

Drives: '95 & '96 VR4
DuckVr4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome! I am over in Houston area. Would be cool to see your Project 5 on the next Texas meet
DuckVr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2019, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Here is a couple of pics of the car right after the accident, two in the tow yard and one after getting it home. The car is on Megan racing springs so it's about 1.5 inches lower, which makes it the perfect doorstop for the back end of an SUV. I don't have any pics of the back but honestly it wasn't that bad anyway, the guy ran up to me slow just never hit the brakes. The damage was bad but not terrible, with the driver side motor mounted pulled away from the frame, anything sheet metal was trashed. The chassis was still straight though, so they fixed the motor mount, straightened the subframes piece underneath, new radiator support, and aligned everything really well.

My intention is to be done by the TX3S gathering this year - we will see, again time is the key factor. Something about having a job to support this habit lol I would like to get down to Houston, I see a few 3S guys down there that post on Texas 3S. Maybe one of the cars and coffee events at the end of the year or something.

Oh and the stupid radiator comment - so I bought one of the aluminum rads off eBay. Its built very well, good welds, quality - except it doesn't fit. I mean I am a decent fabricator and I will get it to fit, but even cutting the bottom bracket material down and bending them, it still doesn't fit. I will have to modify the front support a little and change out the passenger side fan, bend the brackets some more, and hopefully 3SX's rad cover will fit on top (I have it on order). I kick myself for this because I usually save my pennies and buy quality stuff, but I thought a rad is a rad is a rad so go cheap - nope. Dumb idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Project 5-img_4827.jpg   Project 5-img_4677.jpg   Project 5-img_4678.jpg  
Old 06-26-2019, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
SDSU Alumnus

Drives: VR-4, EVO VIII & X
bboyalan Level 1bboyalan Level 1bboyalan Level 1
Feedback Score: 44 reviews

Oh sh*t lol =X I can only imagine your initial "wtf just happened" moment

And thanks for the explaining the radiator comment haha. It looks like a copy of the Koyo R-core, but at least you are resourceful enough to finesse the installation.
bboyalan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2019, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Something quick today, before i start installing the new intercoolers. Read mixed reviews on this, i know this can be a restriction but i am pretty sure i can still get to my power goal with it. Data logging ultimately will prove me right or wrong. But the increased fidelity in measuring airflow will help some too - we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in