I'm Back! - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1993 VR4
HLxDrummer Level 1HLxDrummer Level 1
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Default I'm Back!

Well guys... It has been a while. Been busy with school/training but I am done this month and finally start my real job. Theoretically should have some time and money for car stuff again.

I've been out of the game for a while so if anyone has any up to date recommendations feel free to shout out.

Plan for this summer is to get my DSM SMICs converted/installed and install my Setrab front mount oil cooler. Going to try to do a few autocross/road course events this summer after that.

Goal for this winter is big so I'm trying to be realistic and realize it may not happen... but:

New OEM shortblock (are these still available? I remember them being around $2,500 a few years back) vs Pampena stage 2 short block. Something nice about a literally brand new OEM engine but Pampena seems to have a good name and forged pistons are fun. Any thoughts?

Stage 0 3SX heads. Doesn't seem worth it to get crazy here for my goals unless anyone has another opinion.

Turbos... a few years back I was pretty set on 13Ts. Under a grand and seemed to meet my goals (quick spool, reliable, pulls to redline, ~400WHP). Any new/better options? DR650 seem pretty awesome but also $1,000 more expensive. Where is the best place to get 13Ts nowadays?

New clutch. Currently have an XTD 6 puck which has never held a launch since I've had it. Otherwise works fine. Seems like the RPS street max is a decent option?

Any recommendations on injectors? Figured with a chrome ECU I can go whatever size I want basically. Deatschwerks vs RC? 1,000CC? May want to play with E85 someday...

ABS delete.

New power steering rack vs rebuilding existing rack. Current rack is leaking. Anybody rebuild one of these? I'd hate to get some POS aftermarket rack but at the same time, never rebuild on and not sure how reliable that would be.

Any other thoughts or suggestions? Will be doing this in a two car garage (not sure wife will let me kick her out - we will see LOL) with a 4 year old and an infant. Wish me luck!

Edit: Forgot to mention - hoping the following winter I can refresh the interior. Light weight seats with good bolstering, fix the bubbling door panels, install some non-blown speakers. Also rip out the AWS and clean up the back half of the car. Then I'm be "done"

Last edited by HLxDrummer; 06-17-2019 at 01:35 PM.
HLxDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident Street Racer

NOMIEZVR-4 Level 1NOMIEZVR-4 Level 1NOMIEZVR-4 Level 1
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Default Re: I'm Back!

nice list to start with and definitely do-able.

96 Single Turbo 3000GT VR-4
NOMIEZVR-4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Duper Mod

Drives: deals
lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3
Feedback Score: 111 reviews

Yo!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by ray pampena View Post
Cant we all just smile and get along?
No!
lawdogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Vendor

Drives: 1995 Stealth TT
Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3Chris @ Rvenge Performance Level 3
Feedback Score: 124 reviews

Glad you are back! I don't think OEM shortblocks are available new anymore. Ray does a great job, but honestly if all you want is an OEM rebuild find a local shop the local racers use and keep an eye on them and you should have good results. Be sure to pull all galley plugs and have the check balls in the crank removed or get a new crank.

The heads are similar, a decent machine shop will have no trouble bringing them back to stock condition.

We have a bunch of different clutch options that would work great for you. The ACT street clutch is a great option and we carry Southbend, Comp, and Spec as well.

If you want to run E85 I'd recommend a set of FIC 1000s.

I just rebuilt my rack and it really couldn't be much easier if you follow the Wiki guide on it. I went with a Gates rebuild kit that was around $70 for everything. I had to do it because the Z15 2WS rack is impossible to find.

Let me know if we can help in any way, I'd love to put together a package deal for your build.

Getrag Rebuilds, Strength, and Performance Improvements, Performance Parts, including AEM EMS, ACT Clutch, Southbend Clutch, Spec Clutch,
3000GT Fuel Injector Guide, Walbro, Snow Performance, OEM Mitsubishi Parts, Getrag Parts, Synchros, much more!

Chris @ Rvenge Performance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 95 Stealth TT/97 VR4
VR4Joe Level 1VR4Joe Level 1
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Welcome back!! Brand new OEM short blocks are unicorns now. I tried for months trying to find one with no luck. I'd go with the 15g turbo instead of the 13t. They are insanely cheap now and you wouldn't need to modify your intercooler piping.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
One fix at a time

Drives: 95 RT/TT
TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2TurboSinceBirth Level 2
Feedback Score: 40 reviews

If you plan to run 500awhp or less I would just stick with a stock bottom end and focus on getting the tune spot on. Chrome will help but it is a time consuming process. I have DW1000cc injectors and like them but any major brand with good injector latency information on the evo forums will work just fine.

I think you can still get cast 15Gs for $7-800. There are some 19-20T options for around $1600-1700 that require a few minor mods. Figure out your power goal and we can make some more exact recommendations.
TurboSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 02:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Hey Lawdogg! What have you been up to?

Overall my goal is 400-500WHP. Mid 11s 1/4 mile would be cool.

Honestly my main goal is a fun, reliable street car that I can take to work, autox/drag/road course it over the weekend then take it to work Monday.

I remember 15Gs and 13Ts being similar. Any particular brand these days good? I remember members were converting and selling them but I'm sure they're gone.

Regarding the short block, is there anything special about this engine over others? I'm just nervous taking it to someone who has never had a 6G72 and messing something up. Again, I want to build this car once and be done lol the heads seem like they'd be pretty straight forward.

Glad to hear the power steering rebuild is doable. $75 isn't bad for a good OEM rack.

Sounds like 1,000CC injectors will be the way to go with possiblity of E85 and a chrome ecu.

Chris, if you wanted to quote some prices for a package of stuff I needed I'm all ears. It'll be a few months before I buy but I'd like to have everything lined up ready to go.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm excited to get back to it.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Duper Mod

lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3lawdogg Level 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLxDrummer View Post
Hey Lawdogg! What have you been up to?
Same old thing man how about you? I thought you already had 13Ts in your car? Or am I way off?
Old 06-18-2019, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Na, got basically all my supporting mods (except injectors)/brakes/suspension/trans/TC stuff I want done just ready to finish with the stuff above. Still running my old 180K 9Bs with shaft play and blowing smoke screens lol

You got your new Stealth on the road?
Old 06-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Duper Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLxDrummer View Post
Na, got basically all my supporting mods (except injectors)/brakes/suspension/trans/TC stuff I want done just ready to finish with the stuff above. Still running my old 180K 9Bs with shaft play and blowing smoke screens lol

You got your new Stealth on the road?
Ah got it, glad you're still interested in the VR-4 instead of something else!

My '92, yes but still needs a few things, my '94, not yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in