How-To: Push Button Start - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
13t's, sex.

Drives: 92 VR-4
blindmist is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Default How-To: Push Button Start

This was originally posted in the FWD section a while back. I have thrown all the ideas that were posted in there and discussed into one simple post so people wont have to go through the numerous pages to find the info they want.

DISCLAIMER: I ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT YOU DO OR WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR CAR. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I HAVE YET TO FIND ANY PROBLEMS WITH DOING THIS MODIFICATION. PM ME FOR QUESTIONS OR PROBLEMS YOU HAVE RUN INTO. AIM: hngryhngryhpps

1. Locate the Ignition wires under the dash. It is a blue and white connector and looks hard to take apart.

2. Find the White wire (Battery 12v)

3. Find the Black w/ yellow stripe (Start)

4. Splice wires into both of those wires.

5. Put the key in the "On" position and touch the wires together (i got a thrill at this point and felt like a theif) to make sure that you have good enough contacts on the splice.

This is for hooking it up to the ECS button because I know most of everyone here has changed their suspension and doesnt use the ECS button anymore, therefore leaving ECS to stand for Electric Controlled Start.

6. Take out the screws that hold the front bezel in place and pull it out.

7. Unplug the connector that hooks into the ECS switch.

8. CUT, do not leave attached (we dont want power running back down the wires), the red and black wire that are on the bottom of the connector.

9. Connect the wires that are running to the ignition wires to the red and black wires.

10. Put it all back together, put the key in the "On" position, and push the button to start the car.

http://www.blindmist.net/pushstart/push.mpg

Defroster Switch wires: top black wire and the blue w/ red stripe

Here is a list of all the wires that are used in what position the key is in. This is for the wiring harness coming from the ignition cylinder. All wires connect to the Battery wire (White).

Wires used in the ACC position
1. Blue

Wires used in the ON position
1. Blue
2. Blue w/ Black stripe
3. Black w/ White stripe

Wires used in the START position
1. Black w/ Yellow stripe
2. White

If you want to take the key cylinder out and wire up two switches, you would have to have a flip switch or a push button that had an on and off pistion. These switches would be wired to the ON position to Battery (White wire). One side of the switch would have the Blue, Blue w/ Black stripe, and the Black w/ White stripe wired together. The other side of the switch would be Battery (White).

Then you need a switch that is momentary on. There are spring loaded flip switches and there are also push buttons like the ECS button. You would wire one side of the switch to Black w/ Yellow Stripe and the other side to Battery.

This is a cleaned up version with all the thoughts and ideas from the first one thrown together to make one easy read. Enjoy.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Another Helpful Write Up -- Written by HotelKilo06
----------------------------------------------------------------

Awesome! I just finished and it works perfectly! I decided to go with the black/yellow wire so that when you put the key to ACC it will still play music and appear normal. Also the white wire is a thicker gauge than my tap in connectors would allow. Below are pictures from how I did it that should help in either way you decide to do this.

I took off the steering column cover to see if thatís where everything could splice into but I found out that I was wrong in doing this. Plus it made the whole thing a lot harder to do, so I wouldnít recommend doing it. I have pictures of where the wires are so you can see them.

The only piece you need to take off of the whole dash assembly is the bezel where the buttons are located. I found the harness to be right under the knee protector and behind the foot air duct. It was hard to see at first because there was so much electrical tape around the wires I wasnít sure if I found the right piece or not.

The arrow shows where the wires go into the ignition.

The line shows the path of the wires

Obviously where it says vent is the duct for the air to your feet. The big metal cylinder is for the steering whatever.

Here is where I spliced. Everything tucked back quite nicely

Ok this shows where I put the wires into the plastic thing for the splice. The little red and yellow thing shows how I got the wire to stay in the connector.

This is the complicated part for me, now simple for you, well if you donít already have wires to tap into on this thing.
The yellow line shows where the connectors go to. The prongs on the left are for the top button, and right for the bottom. Hereís how the complete a circuit.

1 and 2 turn on the light for the defroster. (Little one up top of button)
1 and 3 turn on when the button is pushed in (I donít know why, itís just how it works)
4 and 5 also turn on when the button is in
6 and 7 turn on the main light for the switch (one light for both buttons)
8 and 10 turn on when the button is OUT
9 and 10 turn on when the button is IN

I tested this with a 9V and a little light bulb. Bulb comes on, circuit is made. Thatís about it.

It took me probably bout an hour to finish because I wasnít too sure about everything. I could probably do it again now within 30 minutes.

I would suggest these items to use in doing this. Wire cutters, wire strippers, flashlight (one of the most important ones), wire taps (1.99 at RadioShack), and extra wire obviously, needle nose and regular pliers, and a set of screw drivers. I found it easier to get the bezel off with a flat head or 2.

Last edited by blindmist; 07-30-2006 at 02:49 AM.
blindmist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2006, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 94 3000GT SL
TheBeaver is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Re: How-To: Push Button Start

Awesome... im going to do this tomorrow lol Ill let you know how it goes
TheBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2006, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Paid Member

Drives: 92 3000GT VR-4
BigSwoleMatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeaver
Awesome... im going to do this tomorrow lol Ill let you know how it goes
lol i think im doing it to , well its my day off i need somethin to do
BigSwoleMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2006, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
13t's, sex.

Drives: 92 VR-4
blindmist is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

let me know how it goes.
blindmist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 2 wheels
Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2
Feedback Score: 117 reviews

nice write up!
Black_Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2006, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ferrari Nut

RacerX_GTO Level 2RacerX_GTO Level 2RacerX_GTO Level 2RacerX_GTO Level 2RacerX_GTO Level 2RacerX_GTO Level 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindmist

Then you need a switch that is momentary on. There are spring loaded flip switches and there are also push buttons like the ECS button.
I envision a nice big red START button, installed clean like that on the Viper SRT-10 and Enzo, yet not so hidden and in an odd place like the Elise.

(F-430 wheel start button..... hot!)

**EDIT***
Check this button out, from Mitsu New Zealand. Looks cool!
Mits Start Button

Last edited by RacerX_GTO; 07-24-2006 at 12:56 PM.
RacerX_GTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2006, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 2 wheels
Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2Black_Sunshine Level 2
Feedback Score: 117 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX_GTO

**EDIT***
Check this button out, from Mitsu New Zealand. Looks cool!
Mits Start Button

that button is sweet. it also looks like it ties directly into the ignition system, so there's no key involved. too bad it's $437. that's pretty darn expensive for a "cool" mod. now maybe if it was a start button that was a fingerprint/ ID scanner, it would almost be worth it.

that's pretty much the only reason why i wouldn't do a push button start on the 3s. it still requires a key. i'm to lazy to put the key and then search for the start button. i'd rather just give the key an extra quarter turn to start the car.
Black_Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2006, 09:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ferrari Nut

RacerX_GTO Level 2RacerX_GTO Level 2RacerX_GTO Level 2RacerX_GTO Level 2RacerX_GTO Level 2RacerX_GTO Level 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sunshine
too bad it's $437. that's pretty darn expensive for a "cool" mod.
I'm a little late in the response... but $437 is New Zealand dollars. That translates into $271 American dollars, which.. about puts it close to a price the dealers would gouge us.
RacerX_GTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2006, 09:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Oh SNAP!!!

Drives: 03 Z06,08 Z06,02Z/28
mywetdream is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

pretty nifty....
1991 Eclipse GS-SOlD
1995 Eclipse GS-T - SOLD
1994 Eclipse GSX-SOLD
1994 Dodge Stealth R/T TT- SOLD
1969 Corvette 427/435- SOLD
2003 Corvette Z06 S/C- pride and joy
2002 Camaro Z/28
2008 Corvette Z06- the new family member!!!
mywetdream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2006, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Aghhhh

Drives: Stingray Z51
Gatecrasher Level 2Gatecrasher Level 2Gatecrasher Level 2Gatecrasher Level 2Gatecrasher Level 2
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Honda S2000 button = $45 last time I checked. You can use a PC floppy disk drive pigtail to plug into the back of it.

Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country