Front Active Aero project - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International
 

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2019, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Robotech is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Front Active Aero project

Hey guys. I have a question I haven't been able to find an answer on regarding the front active aero.

The front aero on my son's 1992 VR4 is busted. The undertray is missing completely and it looks like the motor mount is bent. The motor still functions fine though. Because of the bent mount, the arm doesn't rotate in a straight plane. This has caused the active aero to fail as it jams up on the linkage. Sometimes it works, sometimes it jams. I removed the arm to the linkage sol the motor shaft can just spin freely so that at least the rear active aero can work.

I understand how difficult it is to find a proper undertray for this active aero system and, if nothing else, the motor mount needs to be straightened out. It doesn't look like it's off by much, but enough to cause an issue.

My question is, would it be possible to make a different lower tray to replace the non-existent and hard to find OEM tray? I was thinking of a "splitter" with a small overhand (an inch or less) that would attach to the stock linkage and have a "damn" that follows the contours of the bumper to seal off the gap between the splitter and the bumper when it's lowered.

Has anyone tried this and I just missed it or is the weight of something like this too heavy, would overload the system and cause a fault because the system would read it as a "jam"? Just thinking of ways to make this work without my son having to spend a fortune...and maybe do something different.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-16-2019, 12:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fear the Reaper!
 
tensecs2fame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Brooklyn NY
Drives: 95SPVR4-91VR4-M35X
tensecs2fame is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Default Re: Front Active Aero project

I played around with a design idea. Maybe something in carbon would work. The only problem is figuring out how to make the vertical portion bend as the oem one is plastic and that's directly mounted to the bumper. I guess rubber would suffice as it's flexible. Here's what I drew up. By no means are any of the measurements accurate.
__________________

---------------------------------------------------^ Yup it's a Spyder Vr-4
tensecs2fame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Robotech is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Re: Front Active Aero project

The vertical portion bends? Hmmm....that would be a trick. I wish I could see one of these in person and observe how it works. I'm not sure where it hinges or anything as all that is missing from this car.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Keep'n 'em spooled
 
Turbo Powered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: PA
Drives: at high g's
Turbo Powered Level 1Turbo Powered Level 1Turbo Powered Level 1
Feedback Score: 74 reviews
Default Re: Front Active Aero project

No the vertical part does not bend. At the top of the vertical part is a short horizontal lip. That short lip sort of seals against the bottom edge of the bumper cover or some of the reinforcing brackets when the Active Aero dam is in the down position. The whole dam flexes at the back end where it is mounted to the undercarriage.

Attached is a pic of the plastic dam. It's a view from the bottom and from the back so you can't really see the front vertical part in the pic, but you can see the little lip pieces I described above. In the second pic, a side view, you can see the shape of the front of the dam. It's from a post asking about how to repair damage of hitting something which bent the metal parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Active Aero project-active-aero-1.png   Front Active Aero project-front-active-aero-retracted.png  
Turbo Powered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum user
 
SneakyRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Drives: 92 TT "MaTTi"
SneakyRT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Re: Front Active Aero project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Has anyone tried this and I just missed it or is the weight of something like this too heavy, would overload the system and cause a fault because the system would read it as a "jam"? Just thinking of ways to make this work without my son having to spend a fortune...and maybe do something different.
I'm sure how the AA module tells if theres a jam exactly, but you might be able to circumvent that by modifying the module itself. could also make a small module that uses the out put from AA module and "corrects" it to feed whatever actuation you want and still give the oem module the feedback it wants. might even be as simple as a relay and a resistor lel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensecs2fame View Post
I played around with a design idea. Maybe something in carbon would work. The only problem is figuring out how to make the vertical portion bend as the oem one is plastic and that's directly mounted to the bumper. I guess rubber would suffice as it's flexible. Here's what I drew up. By no means are any of the measurements accurate.
what exactly do you mean by vertical portion? are you talking about a shroud to hide the gap between the spoiler and undertray when deployed? you could probably work it into the geometry of the active element to just not have a gap.

I've had some very crude CAD of a active combat wing I've been working on for a while so I would definitely be down to help design front AA too.
__________________
~Daniel
follow me on Instagram to see every time my car breaks down! @yoplaitwhipz

Cars:
- 95 galaxy white pearl R/T ATX "Sneaky" GONE
- 92 beige wheat pearl R/T Twin Turbo "Matti" (daily/project)
Mods: 130k, 3SX DP, high flow cat, Tein S-tech springs, open element filter, stri center gauges(boost, oil pres., oil temp.), Autometer A pillar gauge pod(coolant temp), 3SX adjustable rear camber arms, CXracing oil cooler, $20 boost controller @12psi, swapped to 25spline Tcase, 300M output shaft, powerstop Z23 pads/rotors, Jester Chrome ECU
Planned mods: walbro 255lph, haltech dual WBO2, maximal solid motor mounts, 20Ts eventually
- '08 EVO X MR: stock daily driver
SneakyRT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Robotech is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Re: Front Active Aero project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Powered View Post
No the vertical part does not bend. At the top of the vertical part is a short horizontal lip. That short lip sort of seals against the bottom edge of the bumper cover or some of the reinforcing brackets when the Active Aero dam is in the down position. The whole dam flexes at the back end where it is mounted to the undercarriage.

Attached is a pic of the plastic dam. It's a view from the bottom and from the back so you can't really see the front vertical part in the pic, but you can see the little lip pieces I described above. In the second pic, a side view, you can see the shape of the front of the dam. It's from a post asking about how to repair damage of hitting something which bent the metal parts.
Okay, from the pictures I had seen that's how I thought that part came down on the bumper. That made sense. I could make soemthing like that no problem. Have some ideas for that. As for the flex at the back, I'm going to have to look more into that to figure it out but some hinges come to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyRT View Post
I'm sure how the AA module tells if theres a jam exactly, but you might be able to circumvent that by modifying the module itself. could also make a small module that uses the out put from AA module and "corrects" it to feed whatever actuation you want and still give the oem module the feedback it wants. might even be as simple as a relay and a resistor lel
From what I could tell last night, I'm sure it has to do with the load placed on the motor. When the load exceeds whatever limit it's set to, it shuts down and trips an error. I saw it happen a few times as my son tried to articulate the active aero. Sometimes the motor wouldn't even get a full 180 degree rotation without tripping the error. Funny thing is, it could go 160 degrees, then the next articulation it would go 180 degrees from where it had stuck last time. It was strange. Not sure it knows that it's done a 180 degree sweep but it seems not to use postion switches like the rear does.


Quote:
what exactly do you mean by vertical portion? are you talking about a shroud to hide the gap between the spoiler and undertray when deployed? you could probably work it into the geometry of the active element to just not have a gap.
I'm thinking of just doing what the stock unit does...having a curved (to match the shape of the bumper) vertical strip that is perpedicular to the splitter plane that has L-shapped brackets at the top to engage the bumper when down to seal off that section. The brackes that hold it will need to be triangular to support it against the air hitting it from the front but it's curve should help to support it in the slipstream as well.

So long as the hinge point is correct it wouldn't be hard to get that calculated correctly.

Quote:
I've had some very crude CAD of a active combat wing I've been working on for a while so I would definitely be down to help design front AA too.
I think we may need to work on this. Seems straightforward enough. Just need to fix that mangled engine mount and get the two brackets that go from the linkage to the OEM lower deck. the driver's side is missing and the passenger side is pretty mangled but COULD be salvaged.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.