End of the line for my ecs? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2019, 04:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

grand tourer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default End of the line for my ecs?

My ECS light is stuck in tour. I checked all strut connections and just did a capacitor kit in the module. It didn't resolve the issue. From what I read that probably indicates a strut or struts are out. Is that the consensus? It may be worth mentioning my car is lowered on the factory ECS .
grand tourer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 94 R/T TT
jj94tt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: End of the line for my ecs?

In my limited experience, a dead switch in a strut will result in a system fault that causes the ECS to go offline and flash both Tour and Sport together. Therefore, I wouldn't rule out the ECS module for a "stuck in tour" situation. Get a cheap analog multimeter and do the fault check on the system and see what that turns up.

Good luck.
jj94tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2019, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

So you think even though it's not flashing it could be that? You suggest checking the strut cap contacts with a multi meter? Is there any engin code it will through you are aware of?

Old 04-05-2019, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 94 R/T TT
jj94tt is an unknown quantity at this point

You can test for fault codes in the ECS controller using an analog multimeter through the diagnostic port (under the kick panel or by the fuse box, depending on model year). Should be able to find instructions on the forum here.
jj94tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

duke3k Level 1duke3k Level 1duke3k Level 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
My ECS light is stuck in tour.
If this is your main symptom that your describing , comments as follows:

If you press the ECS button , the ECS light is supposed to change from Tour to Sport. If its not doing at least that - then something is wrong with either the ECS button, the ECS button wiring harness to the ECS controller or something is wrong with the ECS controller itself.

As JJ94tt said - if you have a bad strut , the OEM ECS controller is supposed flash both Tour and Sport together about every 30seconds.

So based on your symptoms as a I said above these are the likely problems:
(1) something is wrong with ECS button,
(2) something is wrong with the ECS button wiring harness to the ECS controller
(3) or something is wrong with the ECS controller itself.

To determine if it's (3) to see if your ECS controller has failed - then a simple way to tell that is to temporarily disconnect one of the front cap strut connectors. This will cause a fault that a good working ECS controller should detect and it should start flashing Both the Tour & Sport light. If it doesn't it's definitely the ECS controller that's the problem. If it does start flashing the Tour & Sport light - it could still be any of the three.

duke3k

www.renegadetechworks.com Open Source 3000gt ECS Retrofit & Replacement Controllers

Last edited by duke3k; 04-05-2019 at 11:47 AM. Reason: punctuation
duke3k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2019, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

duke3k Level 1duke3k Level 1duke3k Level 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Also just to be clear we are all on the same page (this has happened before) the Sport/Tour lights in question & the ECS button in question that control the suspension are the ones shown below in the picture. Sometimes new owners confuse the ECS Sport/Tour lights with the tunable exhaust Sport/Tour system.

duke3k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Thanks for all the great responses ! I have some work to do now. It did have both tour and sport lights on when I first bought it. I assume one has burnt out. Also this is an NA so there isnt active exhaust. I will try your recommendations and see what I can find, I was just hoping it's not the actual struts.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Well I disconnected one of the struts and the lights didn't blink. When I first opened the ECS box it had some caps leaking. I put the new caps in but maybe I just did a lousy job.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

PhoenixGTO is an unknown quantity at this point

Any reason is a great reason to get the Tein Coilovers. Dollar for dollar the best purchase i ever made for my 3000TT's...by far, and I had every mod. Yes i did, I even had the second CC clutch that RPS ever made. Matt Monet had the first. Whatever. (ok, this kinda got away from me).
PhoenixGTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2019, 12:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 1992 3000gt vr4
ThatOneVr4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGTO View Post
Any reason is a great reason to get the Tein Coilovers. Dollar for dollar the best purchase i ever made for my 3000TT's...by far, and I had every mod. Yes i did, I even had the second CC clutch that RPS ever made. Matt Monet had the first. Whatever. (ok, this kinda got away from me).
Sorry to be off topic but what brand Tein?
1992 3000gt Vr4 Daily Driver-MODS 13g turbos, ID 1050x Injectors, Walbro 450(3SX hotwire), Fuel Lab AFPR, Chrome ECU, Jester's maf, 2 piece drive shaft, Lat 42 Performance 2800lb pressure plate with stock disc, Full turboback exhaust, drilled cats and test pipe. K&N Aircharger, PLX wideband
ThatOneVr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Automotive Discussions > General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:
Real Name(First & Last)
(Required/Hidden)
Mailing Address(Street)
(Required/Hidden)
City
(Required/Hidden)
State
(Required/Hidden)
Zip
(Required/Hidden)
Country