Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Blue3kgtsl's 1999 VR4 resto-bpu-bolt ons thread

23K views 114 replies 30 participants last post by  Blue3kGTSL 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm starting this thread to document the progress of my newly acquired 1999 VR4. I was not looking to buy another car since I already don't have enough room and I'm trying to finish up my 94 stroker single turbo car. However, while looking at used VR4s for a coworker, I came across this car -only an hour and a half from me- and absolutely had to pick it up. I went look at the car on Feb 24th and then brought it home on March 3rd.

This '99 has 124,000 miles, is number 175, black on black, fairly stock (ebay exhaust, ebay front turbo manifold, ebay mbc, and who knows what brand Y-Pipe) - more on this later - and I'm the 3rd owner. It has some flaws in the paint, fading on the sail panels, and some side swipe damage on the driver rear quarter (not too bad, but enough for me to be upset about it). The deeper scratches were covered up by fingernail polish :(. I have the full history of this vehicle, the power antenna, both front regulators, timing belt (belt only), and transmission (due to leaking) were all replaced fairly recently.

The driver turn signal was cracked and headlights were yellowed pretty bad when I first picked it up. Luckily I had bnib 99 turns already and quickly swapped it out then buffed the headlights to a much better condition.

Right now I am having an annoying issue with the CD player. I had put in an old CD on the 2nd day I owned the car and E03 displayed; nothing played and the CD could not be ejected. Looking it up revealed a disc load error. The next day the CD ejected and I threw that CD away. CDs loaded and played fine after but yesterday while cruising, I was finished with a CD and tried to eject it, but the button did nothing and the CD continued to play.

My plans for this car are to:
Get the 120k and all other maintainance done ASAP -COMPLETED
get the exterior back to showroom condition (interior is close to mint already)
Put a set of matching tires on (currently has 3 different brands) -COMPLETED
suspension(complete), driveshaft, and engine mounts(complete) need attention
Take all the BS eBay parts off and replace with quality/rare parts - COMPLETED
Bring the sound system up to par COMPLETED

Current Mod list (3/2022)-

Engine:
DNP Precat Deletes
ATR downpipe
IPS 4" titanium HKS carbon/Ti exhaust
EGR blockoffs
DNP Intercooler piping
DSM SMIC
Dejon Preturbo piping
Evo 9 bov
Maximal Solid front and rear engine mounts
3sx radiator

Tuning & Fuel:
Flash tuned
Kyosan/Denso Supra Pump
3SX fuel loop
Evo 450s
GM maf + maft in stock draw through config
Charcoal canister removed

Brakes & Suspension:
Intrax lowering springs
Hawk HPS pads
Volk GT-C's F19x8.5 +27 R19x9.5 +24

Interior:
60mm Greddy boost gauge
60mm Greddy oil pressure gauge
60mm Greddy temp gauge
AEM X series wideband
Greddy full auto turbo timer
Evo aluminum 6 speed knob
Jbl speakers
Kenwood touch screen head unit
3sx "twin turbo" pedals
Bride stradia ii Low max on bride rails

-------------
Shortly after purchase

The next day after a needed wash

I picked up a few small powder coated items and a black ebrake handle with boot to replace my worn one from DrGonzo.

And taking her out for a drive with my girlfriend yesterday

See less See more
#2 ·
Do LIKE!

Can't wait to see the progress...

Great find :)

Bob.

#5 ·
nice find! you may be able to flip it for a profit, '99 model year seems to be in demand!

#8 · (Edited)
Alright, so I can only start off this next post by saying -

This car is addicting. I can't stop driving it. I have been driving it for a week straight. It didn't help that my 335's battery had died; that just gives me an excuse to keep driving it.

I did do a few small things today...

I didn't like how low the oil pressure was reading at a hot idle - Yes its the factory gauge but I didn't know what weight or oil was in the car before. He had just told me Royal purple - yuck. I changed it out to Valvoline VR1 20w50. The engine sounds like it runs much quieter now and the factory gauge looks way better. I still need to do the 120k, just waiting on the parts.

I noticed shortly after the purchase that there was an aftermarket fan in front of the condenser. This was making the car cool down while driving on the interstate, especially on the colder nights. Weird, but I didn't really have the time to take it off until today. Of course this could be hiding a bigger issue, but I rather fix it correctly instead of keeping this bandaid on. Luckily, the older Kias used Mitsubishi electronics, parts, engines, etc - I ended up having a brand new connector for the a/c fan to replace the hack job fan install.

The car still seems to cool down while driving on the interstate. I'm going to get a new thermostat to install while I do the 120k and that will probably solve the issues.

I purchased some goodies too that I will be installing during the 120k - DNP precat eleminators and an ATR downpipe. As far as the cat back, I still want to get that eBay system off, but I would really like to find another IPS titanium 4" system OR a Yogurt ICH 4" system. (Yea I know, when pigs fly; just like the chances of me finding another Ohiospyderman short throw.)

#11 ·
Hmm, let me research that. Have and pictures of it? I like rare parts so you peaked my interest. How much would you want for it? The only downside is my bank is still trying to bounce back from buying this haha.

No pics for me?! are they just not showing, or have you not posted any?

If you want a single exhaust, just have a local fabricator build one for you. You don't need to find a yogurt system. Just pic whatever muffler you want and have it built. If you want to support a 3Ser, drop it off in FL to Braincrater.
That's weird. I posted pics, I think everyone else can see them. Can anyone else confirm?

I would like a single exit. I really would like another titanium to save some weight too, but anything rare, sounds good, and not eBay aka cheap will be fine with me.

Local fabricators are stupid expensive on prices. They want to charge me 5k minimum to extend the crossover on my single kit, make a downpipe, and intercooler piping... and I have all the materials already! I didn't think about Brian, maybe I'll drop my stroker car off to him to do the fab....

#10 ·
No pics for me?! are they just not showing, or have you not posted any?

If you want a single exhaust, just have a local fabricator build one for you. You don't need to find a yogurt system. Just pic whatever muffler you want and have it built. If you want to support a 3Ser, drop it off in FL to Braincrater.

#12 ·
Pics show on my phone with tapatalk.

I’d talk to Brian. He won’t be inexpensive, but it will be done VERY well.

#17 ·
:thumbsup:

Congrats on the buy! This is my exact dream car! Black on Black 99 VR4!

Great find and looking forward to following your build.
pictures work for me. well, i see a total of eight pictures, not including signatures/avatars.

i’ve been wishing to find a four inch ich as well, but i think we’ll have to make them. i think i can manage, you make something else.

and i’m enjoying the thread. needs more cow, and by cow, i mean photos..

i miss the states.. send me some 3s love..
Thank you guys. There will be many more pictures to come.

hello.. yes. how can I help?

oh, you need more of cow.. got it.

well. I love the car, I love the pics. I love that people are still excited about these cars, and I want to see more info about the 4" exhaust. I bet it sounds beautiful!
I have the titanium 4" on my stroker car. Can't tell you how it sounds yet though since it hasn't been fired up and there aren't many videos out there. There's pictures of it in my other thread though.

Did someone call?

Nice car. See someone mentioned another 3ser down here in FL.. whereabouts?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
There are a few guys from Florida. I know Duttch down there and there's Brian with the black single turbo car.

#14 ·
pictures work for me. well, i see a total of eight pictures, not including signatures/avatars.

i’ve been wishing to find a four inch ich as well, but i think we’ll have to make them. i think i can manage, you make something else.

i miss the states.. send me some 3s love..

#15 ·
hello.. yes. how can I help?

oh, you need more of cow.. got it.

well. I love the car, I love the pics. I love that people are still excited about these cars, and I want to see more info about the 4" exhaust. I bet it sounds beautiful!

#21 ·
Thanks. The ATR downpipe actually used to be on my white car, then I sold it to a member on here. I contacted him since I figured he still had it and knew he was going single and I bought it back :)

I want to get either your dual core front mount or big side mounts. Real tough decision.

#22 ·
I went ahead and installed the DNP precat eleminators and ATR downpipe this weekend. Unfortunately since I still have that craptacular front Ebay manifold on the car, I had to make a spacer to get it all to fit. Everything should fit perfectly once the OEM manifold is back on the car. I also ripped the crappy mbc off the car and fixed some boost leaks and the car pulls way better now. I took the car to its first and my first scca autocross event yesterday and we did pretty good for our first time. I need some better tires on it though as well as a suspension refresh; those will hopefully help out with the understeer a little.

I'll see if I can get the video up on here

#23 ·
I don't have a gopro yet but my girlfriend recorded this back section. She did it in slowmo though which made it just a little bit cooler lol.

https://youtu.be/85UNq8m7vAY

#29 ·
Cool vid with slow mo action!!

#32 · (Edited)
Update

Since the last update, I have installed a Kyosan/Denso Supra fuel pump, tried my hand at polishing the paint, scooped up some dejon preturbo piping, and dropped the car a tad on some Volk GT-C's that I'm going to restore once my 94 is completed.

Maintenance items should be in on Thursday so that I can completely catch this thing up.

#36 ·
Yea I know what youre saying. I do plan on redoing them, but I needed to throw them on right now. I always wanted GT-C's, the tires on the chromies were crap, and these popped up so i snagged them. Not sure who had the idea to spray paint volks...

#38 ·
Starting with unfortunate news. A few weeks ago my 99 was parked way in the middle of my girlfriends parents yard, far away from the driveway and other cars. Somehow my girlfriends dad ended up backing up into it. I had my PDR buddy "fix" it for me but it still needs a fender to be 100% again.

This weekend I was able to get the ebay front turbo manifold swapped with a stock one and the crappy ebay intake switched to a K&N FIPK. I was able to get rid of the 1/2 inch spacer I had between the dnp front precat eleminator and the atr downpipe. The fit is still not perfect but at least I dont have a spacer in my exhaust or an exhaust leak anymore. I read that dnp wasnt always spot on with their fitment so I blame that.

We also took care if the valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, and wires while we were there. Not that there was anything wrong with the spark plug wires, but they were the MSDs that left the tube open. I had some Accels I had kept from my 94 and threw those on instead.

This week I will be changing the front and rear engine mounts to solid, installing dejon intake pipes, installing dnp intercooler piping and dsm sidemounts, leading up to the 120k this weekend. It's almost time for the next autocross.

#39 ·
yeah, PDR cannot fix damage right on the wheel lip. I have the same issue on the rear passenger side.

#40 ·
Subb'd