3000GT/Stealth International Message Center - View Single Post - Output shaft replacement without tranny pull: EASY
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2006, 01:15 AM   #33 (permalink)
Bret Brinkmann
Gear Head

Drives: Rear wheels only...
Bret Brinkmann Level 1Bret Brinkmann Level 1
Default Re: Output shaft replacement without tranny pull: EASY

It looks like the output shaft and the center diff internals can be removed this way. The plate you are talking about is the detent plate. When facing the end cover as in the posted pictures, it will be on your right hand side and have two 10 mm bolts for a 5 speed and four 10 mm bolts or a 6 speed. They can be installed two different ways but only one way is correct. If you don't remove that cover and the balls and springs, then you will break some thing just like some who called me did. The shift rods are held into position with those detent springs and balls.

Near the ends of the rods are notches that are cut and the balls rest against. The ends of the rods are not cut and the larger diameter of the rods will press against the balls which are against the springs on the other side, compress the springs fully, and then if you continue to try and remove the end coer with out removing the detent plate, sprins, and balls, some thng has to break. Usually the balls cruch and get out of round and the notches in the rods get distorted which makes for erratic shift feel, block out, and even getting stuck in gear as metal dust and flakes from the damage wedge inbetween the end cover bore and the rods and the rods bind. The rods have also been known to warp if the end cover isn't installed with everything lineing up perfectly and forcefully pressed onto the input shaft anyway.

Other things members have told me include but are not limited to, chipped gear teeth from prying on the counter shaft, damaged bearings from prying agianst and/or remove the bearing on the end of the counter shaft. For those that have removed reverse gear from the counter shaft, they have had the syncho sleeve pop out of place which allowed the sycnhro detent springs and balls to fly everywhere. Those that have had the springs break were stuck buying a whole new synchro assembly and had to remove the whole tranny anyway to install it. For those that didn't have the springs break when they flew out, they still had to remove the tranny to reassemble the synchro assembly.

I have heard of end covers breaking because they were on so tight that the force required to pry them off broke the end cover before the input shaft would press off of it's bearing. (That is why they are soo hard to remove because of that press fit bearing.) To properly remove the end cover from the input shaft you have to pull the tranny. I have heard of people not knowing that they had to replace that plastic plug that goes over the hex bolt and they reused it. Soon afterwards it poped out and their trannys ran dry do to the hugh fluid leak which resulted in so much internal damage that it was cheaper to buy a new unit rather than repair it. In which case they had to spend a lot more money and take the additional time to remove their tranny anyway. That hex bolt is either 7 mm or 12 mm and yes it does have to come off before removing the end cover or you will break the end cover in two, just ask the guy who called me after he did exactly that. He also had to remove his tranny anyway to check bearing preload because of the new end cover he had to install. Oh yeah clean off the old sealant on both sides of the case or it will leak and only use a thin film of RTV to reseal the case. Too much will cause problems.

I think there are more issues I have heard about by either PMs or phone calls but it is 1:51 AM right now and I am tired. I don't mean to disrespect Ray, he and I get along great, but too many of our fellow members have shot them selves in the foot using this procedure. And people wonder why there are so many tanny "problems". I do not recommend it for anyone that reads the "write up" off of JRC's site (it makes it sound too easy) and/or doesn't even know how a tranny works let alone the names of the different componants. It's too risky and should only be attempted by some one exceptionally knowledgable about our specific trannys and the differences between the 5 and 6 speeds because this procedure is slightly different between the two. I believe that members will be much more satisfied with their cars if they remove the tranny from the car. It's not hard. If they run into trouble, that is what 3Si is for and not to show people how to cut corners. I wish more members would post their bad experiences with this procedure instead of just telling me about it, that way people would at least be more cautious about doing it in the first play and more careful if they did it in the second place. The experience one can gain from simpley removing the tranny and opening it up as it was designed to be done is invauluable. Don't be affriad of your trannys.

250 RWHP

If you want the exploded views of both 5 and 6 speeds or pics e-mail me at [email protected].

94 VR-4 Panama Green Tan Interior
RPS II, gutted cats, flipped BPV, 3SX control arms, 3SX shift bushings, Red Line, Auto-Meter. Rebuilt TC, transaxle, steering rack, heads, and turbos. 360cc's blue printened with in 1%. New short block. RWD convertion and welded rear end.
Bret Brinkmann is offline   Reply With Quote