Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Pounding under throttle use

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  wrongwheeldrive 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I thought it wi fix it by replacing the drive shaft carrier bearings, but the problem is still there. When I accelerate in low gears or low RPM, you can feel like a kick in the butt everytime I press the throttle, I have had transmission mount going bad on other cars, it is not quite the same feeling.
Could it be the driveshaft bushings? It feels like a play somewhere.
Thank you very much.

#6 ·
Not sure how the ECS can cause that or if a 95 has it. If it does there is a switch to turn it from sport to tour as well as a light in the dash displaying the status. Easy way to find out, check if there is wiring going to your front struts.

The U-Joint is not a serviceable item as the caps are staked in from the factory so you cant just replace it. Mine bound up and caused the a similar thumping that you described. I changed my carrier bearings in hopes to remedy it and it persisted. thats when i pulled the driveshaft the second time to find the first u-joint had bound up. fixed the issue by replacing the front section of my driveshaft.

have heard of people replacing them with a Montero u-joint and tack welding the caps in. there is very little info on the topic or proof of sound repairs. I saved my DS section to experiment with repair options because the supply of good used items is drying up.

#8 ·
Rear diff bushings will give you a single clunk on shifts or sharp throttle inputs. I recently replaced those as well with polyurethane after getting rid of the rotational thump. There is a good write up on the other forum that shall not be named for a diy approach that saved me a bunch of bucks using energy suspension bushings. A Google search of "3000gt polyurethane rear diff bushing diy" should produce the 3 page thread with photos.

#9 ·
Indeed there are several threads discussing this issue. I have had this issue since I bought the car 12 years ago. I replaced the driveshaft, replaced a bad motor mount, put in solid year diff bushings, etc, and the problem has persisted. I even swapped in a lower mileage rear diff when mine blew. Each of those slightly improved the problem but there is still a tangible kick/thump when you abruptly go between on/off throttle. It is more pronounced in lower gears (feel it much more in 1st than 5th). I eventually just attributed it to slop internal to the drivetrain components. I have been driving with it for over 100k miles.

#10 ·
I have two cars with 5 speeds (25 splines) and one has a clunk like that, replaced the driveshaft, fixed the carrier bearings and still that clunk when the drivetrain is just loaded, noticed that the other car doesn't have any play or slop in the transaxle, if I turn the drive shaft by hand the axles seem to move instantly, on the car with the clunk there is some free play until I can hear the gears moving and the axles starting to move, probably you can also check that, any worn component like the axles, bearings, etc.. will make your car clunk (if you already fixed or taken care of the usual suspects like carrier bearings, u-joints, differential bushings, mounts)

#11 ·
Would a 1-piece driveshaft help? I have the same clunk, it appeared after R&R of transmission

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.