Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Timing Belt Slip

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  HOSS 
#1 ·
Got my car back together after 3 years of not driving it. Changed a lot of old worn out parts. Had the crank turned, new bearings, oil pump, etc. Did the 60k service....new timing belt, tensioner, water pump, all that stuff...followed the manual to a tee. I put 2000 miles on the car, and last week during a moderate acceleration...it died. Turns out the timing belt slipped?‍♂.
Pulled some things apart to check how much. Looks to me like 1 tooth...but I'll let you guys decide. The blue circle is the crank mark, the red circle is the mark on the oil pump case.
I dont think it's enough to damage anything?
Can the belt be done in the car?...or do I have to pull the motor again? Any tips??

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Note that the timing mark is a notch on the back of the crank cog, closest to the oil pump, not the roll pin for the pulley (although it is close IIRC). Any chance you get pictures showing the notch on the crank cog and the timing marks on the cams?

If it is indeed 1 tooth off on the crank it shouldnt be an issue with the valves, but it also shouldnt keep it from running (it wouldnt be as smooth and would lack power but it would run).

#6 ·
Your symptoms sound like a blown off intercooler pipe somewhere (which is why I suggested pressure testing first in your other thread), although if the timing belt is indeed one tooth off it needs to be fixed anyways.

Also, forgot to answer your other question. Yes the timing belt can be done with the engine in the car, just dont support the engine by the bottom of the oil pan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.