Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

best turbos to hit 600whp?

5K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  93stealthsohc 
#1 ·
so i am just beginning to put my tentative parts list together for ducks rebuild, end goal is 600Whp. so i am trying to find what will be the most cost effective turbos to use.

what i am looking for is

- big enough to hit the goal of 600 but not more than 650
-fit in the stock locations (i can fab up manifolds for it but dont want to relocate)

#6 ·
None of the current turbos have the titanium aluminium turbine wheels.

I'm sure they will work fine, but I am not sure a pair of Chinese EVO IIIs can be compared to DR750s.

Definitely if you want to fab your own headers there are a lot of options out there for less money the 750s. They may not spool the same or be as reliable, but they should hit your power goals.

#8 ·
You can get a full TD05 setup from Hans with TD05 headers, 02 housings, and a downpipe for $1500 which really isn't that bad. FP 68HTA turbos would be nice on a Black Friday sale but you'll never reach their potential at 600whp so Evo3 16Gs would be better. They're at least a lot cheaper to rebuild than the DR turbos.

Whichever option you go with you better go ahead and build the bottom end. Forged pistons minimum to help give you more room for error but I would go aftermarket rods as well if you can afford the money for it. Even a Wiseco BC rod combo will live quite awhile as long as you aren't driving like Ray Pampena lol.

#10 ·
yeah the whole motor is being built as well. forged bottom end, new oil pump, whole timing side with kevlar belt, new valve springs and gen 3 lifters. plus a few other bits where i find required. the motor will be built to take a fair bit more than 600, just dont want to get into gear shattering territory too deep.

the trans and driveline will also be beefed up as well.

#14 · (Edited)
Kamak/Kinugawa 20T-HL would accomplish that for pretty much half of what DR750 cost. Ofcourse it's not 100% bolt-on like DR's but 1500$ is worth some tinkering. +the compressor housings of the Kamak/kinugawa td04 are better flowing than oem (imo)

only mods i had to do for mine kamak 19T-HL was;
SS waterline kit
replace PS big fan with another DS fan
shave abit off the front motor mount

#15 ·
TO the OP..

If you want drop in and a quick spooling street car, get chris's dr750 setup, I think it's the BEST option for 550-650HP without trying to break stuff (as long as bottom end is built like you say).

If you want something for more power potential then go with td05's but be warned they are NOT drop in like the dr750's, they will require a bunch a minor/major things to make it fit. Also if your one to hate "Lag" or think the stock turbos spooled slow, then don't get td05's.

Also Dynamic racing does NOT make the titanium turbines anymore which gave them quicker spool than any other turbo for us...

#18 ·
DR750 turbo, hot wired walbro 400/450 fuel pump, bigger injectors, old school maf translator, (stand-alone or ecu flash computer, forged rods & pistons to remove timing, be on the safe side). For more potential TD05 set up or single turbo ,, the big factor is that DR750 cost a lot, compare to other better set ups. It’s how deep ur pockets are

#19 ·
I don't honestly get the budget difference. If you go with legit Mitsu turbos the EVO IIIS are going to be about 2K with wastegates and lines:

https://www.extremepsi.com/store/Genuine-MHI-Mitsubishi-TD05H-EVO-III-Big-16G-49178-01470-SALE.html

A decent set of headers are $1500 at least. If you build them yourself maybe you do it for $500 worth of piping, flanges, etc. Even if you don't value your time at all, all the trial fitting, backpurge welding, making sure no bits of weld inside the pipes don't wreck your turbos, etc, its still not that different. You'll want aftermarket intakes for the TD05 setup as well. Its not as cheap a it sounds unless you run knockoff turbos that could smoke in a week.

For "only" 600 I'd run the turbos that bolt on in a couple hours and are known to work and last. The extra 1000 RPM of spool doesn't hurt either.

#27 · (Edited)
I don't honestly get the budget difference. If you go with legit Mitsu turbos the EVO IIIS are going to be about 2K with wastegates and lines:

A decent set of headers are $1500 at least. If you build them yourself maybe you do it for $500 worth of piping, flanges, etc.
well the thing for me is i work in aerospace fabrication with access to supplies and tooling. building headers and downpipes literally cost me nothing but time. and what i fab up is going to be as good or better than most available. i'm not ruling out the DR750's but i do like to explore what options exist beyond just the usual.

the motor isn't likely to be ready till fall so i dont want to eat out of my engine budget since i dont know what other expenses may pop up, which is why i'm not just buying up your 750's

There may be someone I am not thinking of, but I don't know of anyone who has hit 600 on pure pump and a 3.0.
I may not hit 600 and i'de be ok with that. just 600 is the target i am aiming for and i want the turbo to be my bottleneck.

By that i mean i want to be using all of my turbos without leaving a bunch on the table, reducing my lag time or needing huge wastegates to stop boost creep. 600hp is where i think the line is drawn for these cars in reliability and driveability, thus i dont want to cross it.

#20 ·
If cost is a concern, then 600 awhp shouldn't be your goal. Shit is going to break. Go with the simplest setup that gets the job done.

#22 ·
There may be someone I am not thinking of, but I don't know of anyone who has hit 600 on pure pump and a 3.0.

#30 ·
ga94vr4 is right, if you want 600 on e85 then the answer is easy, drop in DR750's (buy them off chris) everything fits like stock, and at 28 psi with calm timing you'll obtain your goal and still be reliable.

if your 91 octane your looking at 16G/68HTA or slightly bigger to hit your number on just pump gas.

If pump gas and meth than dr750's will work once again.

#32 ·
600AWHP on 91 is going to take bigger than 16Gs.

Believe me I am not trying to pressure you into buying my turbos. I just think a meth kit makes more sense than building a lot bigger turbo kit and/or engine, hot cams, different intake manifold, etc to try to hit 600 on pure 91 pump gas.

#33 ·
Just FYI I have been running E85 but the new setup (3.5 and twin GTX 2867 gen II) , 272 cams, aem, etc *could* probably hit 600 on just pump, but I wouldn't build it just for that. I want to make over 700 on E85. If it happens to hit a decent number on pump that's great, but its double the money to build a setup like this over using meth or E85 on a smaller setup. Your fellow Canadian Eric hit 607 or something on Ray's dyno on the first pull on Canadian gas, a simple meth kit, 3.0, stock cams, etc and DR750s.

#35 ·
for 91 your going to go with chris's dr750's and meth injection.... Or td05's like FP greens or reds which will spool very slow on a 3.0... Honestly td04 (DR750/650) and meth is what I would do.. you will thank yourself later for going drop in stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.