Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

SL vs 350Z from a roll (high speed)

4K views 173 replies 43 participants last post by  Kibwe Walker 
#1 ·
I'm in a hurry on the freeway, headed to watch my kid trick or treat at the church and i'm late. So i'm runnin 80ish down the freeway, windows down, ACDC blarin on the radio and i see headlights in the rearview commin up pretty quick. (after my episode with the E55 AMG I've been real hesitant about gettin worked up right away :p ) Anyways a middle aged man and woman in a Z pull up next to me at about 85 and take a good look at my car. I'm a nice guy (and in a hurry anyways) so I motion to them to go right ahead (who says that chivalry is dead). So the guy hits it and soon as i hear his exaust I punch it in third. I started at his rear bumper (85ish) and by 120 he is at my rear bumper. There is a truck in front of me so I slow down and the Z passes and I drop behind him. Soon as i pass the truck i get back into my lane and proceed to walk up on him again until we reach the light.

Now you all know the look that someones girlfriend gives you when you smoke thier guy in his car....this ol' lady shoots me that look! uggggggghhhh.

Anyways i was pretty stoked as a co-workers Z beats me up 0-60, i didnt realize that they lost it at the top end so much.

:mitsu:

#4 ·
Good kill! I've had a couple close encounters with Zs from a roll too. BTW, put your flame suit on.

-Remy

#5 · (Edited)
ZUMin3K said:
Good kill! I've had a couple close encounters with Zs from a roll too. BTW, put your flame suit on.

-Remy
Why would he have to put his flame suit on?

Could it be because he just claimed to out-run a lighter, more powerful car at high-speed? Yeah that's probably it... :stickpoke: :p

Sorry, but I'm calling :bsflag:

Glad you had fun messing with this guy but I don't believe he was really attempting to out-run you... or he would have. ;)

#7 ·
I just got next to a Black 350Z...it was not even funny...I think he was racing but the way I left him I am not sure...Only one time did I get a real race with one - guy pulls up (windows down) and tells me "I would not even try if I was you...this SMOKES 3000GT's"...so, I took a perfect 3500rpm launch on him and destroyed him...at the next light about 1/2 mile down his windows were rolled up... :rolleyes:

#8 · (Edited)
Record9ti said:
I just got next to a Black 350Z...it was not even funny...I think he was racing but the way I left him I am not sure...Only one time did I get a real race with one - guy pulls up (windows down) and tells me "I would not even try if I was you...this SMOKES 3000GT's"...so, I took a perfect 3500rpm launch on him and destroyed him...at the next light about 1/2 mile down his windows were rolled up... :rolleyes:
Yup, a TT/VR-4 should OWN a 350Z but an SL? I dunno... :confused: ;)

#9 ·
The 350z has a 3.5L DOHC V6 at 287hp i believe. They weight around 3100-3200 lbs i think, 6-speed too. A 65hp difference with a lighter car (maybe the same weight as a DOHC base like mine) Isn't going to be beaten by a N/A, a good driver may make it "closer" but as much as I would like to say it could happen, I don't think it's possible. Unless the Z misshifts or isn't racing

#10 ·
Quig said:

Could it be because he just claimed to out-run a lighter, more powerful car at high-speed? Yeah that's probably it... :stickpoke: :p

no reason to call BS here. it can and has been done. by me as a matter of fact and it wasn't from a roll either.

>>>Click here<<<

#11 ·
Richy T. said:
no reason to call BS here. it can and has been done. by me as a matter of fact and it wasn't from a roll either.

>>>Click here<<<
One of a couple of explanations can be made. I'd say the other guy wasn't really racing or you are one helluva driver. Or both. ;) Compare power to weight ratios. It just aint gonna happen. :bigthumb:

Sorry, but assuming equal driver and both cars being pushed equally hard this is NOT even a race. :beer:

#12 ·
I work at a nissan dealership and proved it. The DOHC na has more pull than a 350z at speed. Not stock of coarse. When I did (95 sl), I had an intake, no cats, a flowmaster custom exhause, taylor wires, ngk plugs, and a few honeycombs out of the MAS (leans it out some). We went all the way to 135 and after 70 it was all 3s with no looking back (2 cars). To make sure we did it again after switching cars and the only thing I will give the 350z credit for is it handles like its on rails. The z also should beat an NA from a stand and you will catch them provide you have good mods but it will be a good bit down the road. From a roll I would say the NA will win because the 350z lost its advantage (the launch). That 0-60 in 5.4 is true but when you put the z in third it falls on its face. I questioned the Head Nissan mechanic and he told me even though the Z is making 287 hp at the flywheel a lot of horses is being soaked up by the hydrolic limited slip differential they have in the rear. We also raced the 04 maxima against the z and the z won but only by the launch because once you get going neither car has pull. The maxima won't gain on the 350z nor will the z pull any further away than the margin it got from the initial launch. 300zx twin turbo much much much faster than the 350z, do not race a twin turbo 300zx in an NA it will be ugly.

#15 ·
Quig said:

Glad you had fun messing with this guy but I don't believe he was really attempting to out-run you... or he would have. ;)
:stupid:

NA stories are becomming crazy.

#16 ·
Damien3KGT said:
I have driven a 350z and it feels close to the power of my vr-4. You beat it with basic mods. I am not saying it is impossible, but the 350z obviously had some driver error.
That is what I depend on 90% of the time I am at a light next to a beast of a car...Vipers included (We should KILL a Viper even stock on a normal road)

With any Z06, F-Body on spray and Viper I rely on the big "Equalizer"...you know...the paint stripe at the stop light where the RWD car looses all traction!

(another quick note - that Viper Kill stock requires a paint stripe with some oil, antifreeze and other fluids on it from normal traffic - and a bad driver behind its wheel)

#18 ·
I raced own last night. The guy was a complete jackass and wouldn't even look over. He just tried to take off. Tried is the main word. We finally got to a light and I left him standing there. I know it's expected and I really don't consider it a kill. It just annoyed me that he couldn't be cool.

#19 ·
Damien3KGT said:
I have driven a 350z and it feels close to the power of my vr-4. You beat it with basic mods. I am not saying it is impossible, but the 350z obviously had some driver error.
Thats why we ran twice. The second time I was driving the 350z and my friend was driving my car (95sl with mods)and my car pulled away. That was the Sl. MY TT is a hands down blow out. The but dyno reveals nothing as to the out come of a race because my TT does not feel fast unless I launch. The human body is a terrible judge of speed. The only thing it can do is determine a change in pressure. Without pressure you would not know which way was up and which is down and you also can't tell the difference between going 5 mph and 205 mph (no difference in pressure) without a speedo telling you (if its accurate), objects flying by (change in distance/time), and sound (motor screeming). This happened. Also the manual DOHC fwd have a final drive ratio of 415 (more pull)and the 350z has 335 (less pull). The manual 300zx has 365 and the automatic has 415 (they are both faster than the 350z). One of the mods to due to a manual 300zx is get the rear end from an automatic for better drag times (415 gears). All these are factors but the 350z's do 0-60 in 5.4 so it will be infront of a modded or stock fwd DOHC and pretty close to a TT (but still behind if you know how to drive, 5.1 and 4.9 to 60 based on year)but they fall on there face when you put them in third (driven over 40 different 350z, all models). That hydrolic limited slip robs them of so much hp nissan should have made it awd and would have been better off. A stock dohc should get bet pretty bad but in the right circumstance (a 50+ mph roll) a modded (intake, exhaust, ignition,dp) dohc MTX should pull on a 350z.

#21 ·
DJAuggie said:
Since when do slightly modded DOHCs run LOW 14s?
I agree, I never called bs because with the right mods on a N/A it could be possible. All I read on the mod list was just basic. Maybe 30hp if that. I still say drivers error if the story is true, not calling anyone a liar. I have won some races before when I knew I shouldn't have won, so let the pieces fall where they fall.

#22 ·
Damien3KGT said:
I agree, I never called bs because with the right mods on a N/A it could be possible. All I read on the mod list was just basic. Maybe 30hp if that. I still say drivers error if the story is true, not calling anyone a liar. I have won some races before when I knew I shouldn't have won, so let the pieces fall where they fall.
I guess it's just me but the whole 'anything can happen' only goes so far. I don't bring up a war story unless I think I really won. Beating a car at the track because it redlighted or missed a gear is not even worth talking about. :rolleyes:

I see NA times and I rarely see MID to LOW 14s. On the contrary, I am on the 350Z forums and they aren't pulling down 15s. Hello!?

#23 ·
DJAuggie said:
I guess it's just me but the whole 'anything can happen' only goes so far. I don't bring up a war story unless I think I really won. Beating a car at the track because it redlighted or missed a gear is not even worth talking about. :rolleyes:

I see NA times and I rarely see MID to LOW 14s. On the contrary, I am on the 350Z forums and they aren't pulling down 15s. Hello!?
What can I say besides that you speak the truth.

#24 ·
Yes, only heavily modded N/A's run low 14's. I held the record with my N/A for a while at 14.098 with a 110 Shot.

#26 ·
One thing no one is taking into consideration:

The Z traps at around 99mph while the SL can hit around 94 stock. The Z has MUCH better launch and it looks like it's starting to slow down some at the big end of the gear. The SL, though, has shitty take off no matter what you do and is hitting the fat of the power band at the end of the 1/4. If extropolated (sp) to another couple hundred yards, the SL MIGHT catch up to the Z.

I honestly don't think it will since the SL will have to shift in another 10 mph, but it possible that it has better accleration in the 60-120 range (once again, I doubt it since there are no hard facts on this, but it is possible).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.