Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Need a good Chromer

894 views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Lunchbox 
#1 ·
I have had people tell me that finding a good chromer is like finding a needle in a stack of needles. Lots out there and most will stick you. I have decided over much debate to have my upper intake, lower intake, water housing and rear valve cover chromed. I would prefer a shop within 60 miles or so of Houston so I can do this face to face but am open to options. Anyone know of a good one that you would trust???

#2 ·
I live in NY and when i need stuff chromed i have sent it to a shop in LA- They were called "chrome- nickel"..i got the idea of sending my chrome out after i visited LA and found that there were dozens of chrome shops. I figured their pricing had to be better than i could get in NY. it certainly has been cheaper. I've sent them large caddy bumpers and they've come back looking pretty nice.

#3 ·
Not able to find a listing for them. You have their website or number?

#4 ·
chrome nickel plating inc. 2820 E. Martin Luther king blvd. Lynwood CA 90262 310-638-8519/ they also work as a sub to the "Bumper boys". they sell allot of chrome at antique car shows. get a price quote over the phone, or email them a pict of the part you want plated.

#5 ·
Not local, but I am going to get with them on the phone and email and see what they say. Thanks!

#10 ·
Mark and Jan used to bring it to rbchroming.com in garland /mesquite area. Lat time I spoke to Brian he was saying he was going more the industrial route / volume.

I found a local shop in Escondido CA that did an excellent job on a few pieces I sent them. You saw the chrome intake pipes right?

#9 ·
After looking at my upper, I'm gonna need to buy a second hand "Partially polished and gave up" or "Could use a new polish" one as I have no idea how to smooth mine. I bet chromed it would look like crap with that texture on it.
I try to give Mark a wide birth, I always seem to be up his rear trying to get in line to get work done. My Audi is waiting in line as is my Stealth. He is such a good mechanic I really don't wanna get on his nerves.
Jo Jo, let me know when you want beer and pizza and a noob to point and laugh at. I am ready to pull the pan and beat out that little crease. I also want to change out the oil cooler all at once. If you have a place and others that are willing let me know where and we can figure out when and show up with car and parts.

#11 ·
Yeah I did. They are so nice! You have done it so is there any special considerations other than talking to the chromer? anything these parts need to be preped for it? Also as I have never done any of this what do you suggest for the upper intake? I know I need to fins someway to smooth the outside of the runners before chrome or it will just look like textured crap. I still have some time to plan as I still have a few more items that need fixing before I get to this, just trying to get my ducks in a row before I pull everything off.

#12 ·
I would not by somebody's aborted polishing project, ask me how I know ;).

If you just want to get the runner smooth, 120 grit disc, 5" backer plate, and drill. That would be the cheapest way to do it without having to buy a bunch of stuff.

#13 ·
Ok, I have drill(s), backers and dremel, DA's and such. (Mostly failed high end detailing and paint correction side business - Partner moved to Australia). So I can try that. I'll hit the meat of the runners with a drill and disk and tight spots and grooves with the dremel. Then try and even it all by hand. If that doesn't sound like a good approach let me know. I have fabbed a few pieces on the motorcycle that didn't exist using and polishing stainless sheet, but most of my work has been with paint correction and resto and very expensive cars. It is gonna be a lot of breath holding and sweating actually tearing on bare aluminum. I have worked on painted alu and CF before and have always been careful because "you dent it or strip to the fiber, then it's all over". Time to learn a new skill, LOL!

#15 ·
I don't use anything under 120 grit... and I never use any kind of grinding stones tools. I have seen some jacked-up plenum from people using actual grinding stones. And personally I hate the little dremel drum sanders, gives the most inconsistent cut.

Getting it smooth is the hard part, after that it's literally no time to polish one LOL.

Well you're not going to "dent it or strip to the fiber" unless you mean your hands/fingers LOL. But cutting to deep can be a royal PITA to even out, so just do one runner at a time, and take your time on the first one, until you know what you are doing.

Beside, if you f*ck it up... you can usually buy a 91-95 TT plenum for $50 shipped or less.

#14 ·
On a side note, my partner is in the works to move his SEO consulting firm back to the US. If that be the case we will be making our detailing services open to all within driving distance on this forum at cost. We are a person by person basis operation and we come to you (home or office). We come and consult the car for free and tell you if your needs can be met by our service or if the damage to the finish or panel is better met by a body shop. Then we come back on appointment and do all of the work on-site. For Military and First Responders (Police/Fire/EMS) and if he comes back, 3si, we charge only what we use in product. The web site is still up and administered but I am not giving it out right now. If he is not able to move back by Jan 16 I am going to shut it down and just honor the existing VIP contracts that already exist.

#16 ·
Yeah, I am used to using 1200 or higher grit for stuff. And I custom cut and glue sand paper tips for my dremel which I have modded to run slower. I use hard bits for shaping only. I am going to do mine REALLY slow. I am going to build a wood stand for it and bring it inside and work on it. It may take me a giant sum of hours to do but I am not scared to put the time in. I hope not to damage it and am trying to find a second hand one to buy and work on. Was about to buy one here until my oil cooler started leaking, hhhhh! That kinda put my schedule back a bit but no matter. She is about to be down for a lot of months anyway. Dynamat is in so I am pulling the interior out aside from the center and dash for that and new speakers and sub. So fo now time do do the oil pan and oil cooler, make sure that is good then inside. By then i'll be ready to take the top off and do this part. Hope to have her lined out for 2013 Texas meet. Still have TIEN Type S and 2nd gear synchro to get done by then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.