Valve Cover Gasket & Valve Stem Seals - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Regional Discussions > Chapters > 3Si New England Chapter

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '95 VR4/'95 S14
MaxType 240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Valve Cover Gasket & Valve Stem Seals

Hi all,

I've been burning oil in my VR4 and it's getting embarrising. I notice oil escaping the valve cover so my 1st question is taking the valve cover straight forward? If that doesn't cure the problem, I guess the infamous valve stem seals need work. I read that labor/parts will cost $300-$500?

Thanks for helping,

Jesse
MaxType 240 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2007, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

smashbar is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Default Re: Valve Cover Gasket & Valve Stem Seals

Valve cover gasket replacement is easy... as long as it's the front ones! It's as easy as removing all of the surrounding bolts, and then giving the valve cover a few steady whacks with the old rubber mallet to loosen it/remove it. CLEAN the entire outer channel of the valve cover (remove old gasket, clean groove with paper towels or rags until there's no oil in there), stick the new gasket into the valve cover groove, and replace. Don't forget to change out the 3 spark plug gaskets too... they should come with the valve cover gasket kit. Otherwise, you're likely to eventually develop oil in the spark plug holes once THOSE gaskets wear out.

Good luck. Hope that helped.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mike Vincent

Drives: A 1991 4 bolt VR-4
Mike00804 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

A bad valve cover gasket could cause oil to drip onto the pipe and make smoke, but if your smoking out of the exhaust, it's definatly not the valve cover gasket.

91 Mitsubishi VR-4
94 Mitsubishi VR-4
05 Yamaha R1 Raven
94 Chevy S-10 ZR2
Mike00804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Thanks for elaborating smash - I had a feeling there were spark plug gaskets to change out while I was in there.

Mike, the oil is escaping the valve cover onto the exhaust header (front side). With much neglect, the oil probably heated up, put a hole in the exhaust gasket, and gets into the exhaust that way.

I hate neglecting the car this way but my baby girl and 240SX grab all my attention

Jesse

PS - Offer to use Hanscom AFB auto shop is still/always open folks.

'95 240sx: Daily driver, Built KA24DET, GT3071R
'95 VR-4: AWD/TT Winter Sled
Old 07-26-2007, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
CABO BABY!!!

Drives: 96 RT/TT Forest Grn
kookie026 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxType 240 View Post
Thanks for elaborating smash - I had a feeling there were spark plug gaskets to change out while I was in there.

Mike, the oil is escaping the valve cover onto the exhaust header (front side). With much neglect, the oil probably heated up, put a hole in the exhaust gasket, and gets into the exhaust that way.

I hate neglecting the car this way but my baby girl and 240SX grab all my attention

Jesse

PS - Offer to use Hanscom AFB auto shop is still/always open folks.
Oil will not "leak" into your exhaust through a bad exhaust gasket because the exhaust gas pressure is much greater than atmosphere. If you are blowing smoke out your tail pipe then it is an internal leak; usually either the valve seals or piston rings. Have some one follow you. From a stop start to accelerate normally (no hard accelerating) shifting into second around 4K revs. Repeat this into third. Put the car in Neutral and use only the brakes to stop. If the spotter sees heavy smoke from a start that disapates and then returns to heavy after shifting, you have bad rings. If there is little or no smoke from start but there is a "puff" of heavier smoke when you shift, you have bad valve seals. Also, it will be black or blue smoke, not white. If you have white smoke it is a fuel (usually rich) condition.
96 Stealth RTtt (#32 of 57)

kookie026 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2007, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mike Vincent

I'd hate to beleive it Jesse. If it was leaking onto the manifold, it can't get through the gasket and drip into the exhaust. I guess what your saying is that you do have an external leak out of your valve cover. As far as if your smoking out of your exhaust, your looking at a few things.

1. Valve stem seals
2. rings are getting clogged up or damaged
3. PCV is sucking up oil from your heads and into your intake manifold
4. your sucking oil from your rear head into the rear turbo'r rubber intake tube (mine did untill I disconnected the line and put a little breather instead)
5. Turbos/Turbo is blowing some oil into the intercooler pipes, (compressor side) or blowing it right into the exhaust (turbine side)
6. A bad valve guide can do the same thing as a bad valve seal. If the guide isn't sealed perfectly, then your stem seal is ineffective.

Hope this helps you to find your problem.

-Mike
Old 08-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

You guys have been really helpful on such a newb topic, thank you both! I'm thinking of selling of it so all I can do to fix her up will help.

Jesse
Old 08-08-2007, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 99 vette
92Stealth is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

mines been leaking oil out of the oil cover itself, the cover you take of the put oil in. it leaks out of that and goes onto the heat shield causing smoke and the burning oil smell, drives me crazy.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: Like a Grandpa
JeffWVR4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Stealth View Post
mines been leaking oil out of the oil cover itself, the cover you take of the put oil in. it leaks out of that and goes onto the heat shield causing smoke and the burning oil smell, drives me crazy.
Leaking out that cover (filler cap) is not unusual. You can pick up a new filler cap gasket for a few bucks at the dealership and should solve the problem.

Jeff W
www.xpauto.net
JeffWVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2007, 10:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mike Vincent

Leaking out of the oil cap is a sign of blowby as well. With high pan presure, you will also have high valve cover pressure, thus helping the oil to blow through the oil cap seal. The PCV system is only so effecient, and can not compensate for extreme blowby conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Regional Discussions > Chapters > 3Si New England Chapter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.