Transmission Won't Shift - stuck in 3rd gear - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Front Wheel Drive - Drivetrain > FWD - Automatic

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 08:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
New User - Please be kind

Drives: 1991 3000GT SL
MotorCitySL is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Transmission Won't Shift - stuck in 3rd gear

Car Details:
1991 3000GT SL
67,000 miles
Automatic Transmission
Fluid levels and color look fine

Symptoms: when first started in the morning, the transmission SLAMS into reverse....and I mean it slams. Gets better as it warms up. When I put it in drive, it seems to be stuck in 3rd gear and won't shift at all. If I put the transmission in 1st or 2nd, it gives me third. When I hit the overdrive button, the only thing that happens is the light on the dash goes on and off....

At 40mph, I'm running about 2400 rpms, and at 50 mph it's about 2850 rpms.

The vehicle was driven regularly for the first 10 years (to about 60k miles) and has been driven very little the past 10 years....I'd say about 500 miles a year. Most recently it was parked in the garage for a full year....yeah, I know that isn't good for the car. I have driven it about 100 miles (low speeds on side roads) the past week, and no change in the shifting problem....I was thinking the trans may have been gummed up due to lack of use, and would break free, but it's still not shifting, and I'm concerned I may burn it up if I drive it much more. When I get it up to about 50 mph, it feels as though it's stumbling a bit, but that could be due to having old gas in the tank (see above comment about not driving it for a year!).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
MotorCitySL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

KORMEX Level 1KORMEX Level 1
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Default Re: Transmission Won't Shift - stuck in 3rd gear

It sounds like the trans is in Failsafe mode (3rd gear)
You need to put a scanner on it and retreive the codes . If you can't comunicate with the TCM (Transmission Control Module) then you may have a bad TCM.
KORMEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: Stealth R/T 1992
Eric18 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just had this EXACT problem happening with my car this morning.

There was the tell tale of some slam between 2nd and third speed yesterday when I came home.

Reverse and 3rd gear only now...

For the TCM codes, my mechanic told me there was one coming from it but it did not revelead any specific information about what is already obvious: something wrong with the tranny.

I did not have him spend time on it yet, I fear the transmission is a goner.

Edit:
Well, I've read other threads and seems pretty much all related.

I'll try changing the oil first and keep old oil to see if it smells bad if the band is burned. From what I've read, if it's dark and smelly, it would the case.

Not sure if this fails that I have the skills to check the TCU manually, I'll follow the discussion in First, third, and reverse.

Last edited by Eric18; 08-30-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Eric18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Good luck...let me know if you are successful in fixing, and I"ll do the same.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

KORMEX Level 1KORMEX Level 1
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric18 View Post
I just had this EXACT problem happening with my car this morning.

There was the tell tale of some slam between 2nd and third speed yesterday when I came home.

Reverse and 3rd gear only now...

For the TCM codes, my mechanic told me there was one coming from it but it did not revelead any specific information about what is already obvious: something wrong with the tranny.

I did not have him spend time on it yet, I fear the transmission is a goner.

Edit:
Well, I've read other threads and seems pretty much all related.

I'll try changing the oil first and keep old oil to see if it smells bad if the band is burned. From what I've read, if it's dark and smelly, it would the case.

Not sure if this fails that I have the skills to check the TCU manually, I'll follow the discussion in First, third, and reverse.
What was the code ? , If the TCM finds anything electricaly wrong, it will trigger a code . If any code is present ,the trans goes into failsafe mode . So, after you get a code, you need to fix it before you determine that the trans is no good. Makes sense ?
KORMEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: Stealth R/T 1992
Eric18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for delay. The modules were not returning any precise code. Seems I had a worst problem than I tought... A coil pack gave up but not before melting the electronic module near it. Which gave up an electrical surge all the way to ignition module... Can't beleive Mitsubishi placed the electronic right near a coil pack...

So you'll ask me what it have to do with the Atx, well that first module pulsations were off as it was melting, there was a electrical power surge and the ignition ECM was badly damaged and this probably also affected the tranny module. The car was still running normally despite two badly damaged modules, it's not until the coil pack gave up that we saw the whole deal.

Or maybe it all happened at once. Who knows. The main problem is that a eletrical power surge definetely happened. I find it odd, should be some safe fail somewhere along the line but does not looks like it...

So far seems I can save the tranny module, the problem did not reappear but I had to change one coil pack , and two ECM for a whooping 2000$ overall... ( And I was actually lucky to find thoses modules ). There is no telling how long the other coil pack still have to live or if the ATX module also was damaged with a new problem waiting to happen.

Anyways, it's ''repaired'' and the car is for sale as is. It's a shame, the engine only have 80k km, had it replaced a while ago. I'm tired to spend money on it. I'm a new dad, and I guess theses times are over... I loved this car more than anything but I must move on...

Last edited by Eric18; 10-25-2010 at 11:33 AM. Reason: .
Eric18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Bringing this thread back from the dead. My car did indeed have a bad TCU, which has since been replaced and it's now running like a champ. It was difficult to find a used TCU for a 1991 SL, had to scour eBay for a while to find one. My TCU was not repairable since one of the 3 main chips had "popped", and there is no source to replace these chips (other than to take one off another TCU).
Old 07-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

bdaigle is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCitySL View Post
Bringing this thread back from the dead. My car did indeed have a bad TCU, which has since been replaced and it's now running like a champ. It was difficult to find a used TCU for a 1991 SL, had to scour eBay for a while to find one. My TCU was not repairable since one of the 3 main chips had "popped", and there is no source to replace these chips (other than to take one off another TCU).
This is scary... I have the EXACT same situation with my ES... I removed both the ECU and TCU and sent them out to both be rebuilt... Hopefully when I get them back in a week, everything is fixed... or its "part out" time for me!
bdaigle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

bdaigle is an unknown quantity at this point

Got my ECU and TCU back today... Tranny now shifts better than it ever did before...

They only thing the rebuilder would tell me is the my tcu lost the 5 volt reference. Not sure what that is but I dont care... All I care about is that it shifts again...
bdaigle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Front Wheel Drive - Drivetrain > FWD - Automatic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.