Stock speaker replacement choice? - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Audio/Video Systems

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 1992 Stealth RT/TT
Lunchbox is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Default Stock speaker replacement choice?

I have read all of the threads and they are coming close to answering my question but then stray away from what I need.

I have a 92 factory digital head unit, so no Infinity amp under the seat. Due to age all all but the dash speakers are toast. I do plan on doing a line leveler for a small amp and sub for the rear but I'm not gonna ditch the head unit and don't want to amp anything but the sub. (That is gonna be way later when I go with an aftermarket head). I keep coming back to Infinity reference or Kappa but everyone says they are way lower in volume and need amped, but then sound like crap if you just amp the factory head unit. I have a bit of understanding about ohms and such but not enough to do the math.

So what I want is a set of speakers for the doors and the rear that will sound fine on the stock set up. I know I'm not gonna get great without an amp and a new head unit so a lot of the good ones will be low and sound like crap because they are not being pushed. And I need to know what will work with the piggy-backed dash speakers. Those are fine and I'm not doing tweets there again. Did that in my last stealth and it was not a goob place for tweets.

Hopefully someone can help me out

Mods: Latitude 42 HID projector conversion, Snake-Eyes headlight controller, Renegade Tech Works full 3 stage ECS, Full interior Dynamat (the right way), Fuel pump relay bypass, Poly front and rear motor mounts, Tein S Techs, R1 Concepts cross drilled/slotted rotors, gutted pre cats, K&N drop in filter.

Vehicles:
White 1992 Stealth RT/TT (Stock)
White 2011 Ford Crown Vic (Company Car)
Another German toy on extended leave with me by it's owner.
Lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Preserve a 3S

Drives: '95 RT/TT
Dave57 Level 1Dave57 Level 1Dave57 Level 1
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Default Re: Stock speaker replacement choice?

These are worth a shot;
MB Quart FSB 216 (FSB216) 6-1/2" 2-Way Formula Component Speaker

A review like this helps too:
I just bought these for my MBZ C230. One of the door speakers was shot and it really made my stereo sound crappy. Tried shopping around for some coaxs. Tried a few from Pioneer and Kenwood and they didn't work. The door speakers have a passive cross-over so the coaxs sounded really 'shelly'. Went back to the drawing board when I stumbled across these. Took me about 30 mins to install with a little help from my dremel and my soldering gun but I'm extremely satisfied with the outcome. The tweeters sparkle and the 6's hit nice and solid. Perfect compliment to the stock woofers in the rear doors.
Smokin corner box JL W3. 99 lights & fogs w/Hid's . Bridgestone RE050A skins. Member #846 6/01

99SL Black (Deb) The first actual 99 Digital Climate Control Conversion Oct. 04, 05, & 06 Quickening "Best Stock"
Dave57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Still hoping someone can tell me what I can use without changing the stock dash speakers, those are perfect. Using a stock head with no amp. Just need to know what will work and sound decent to replace the door and rear speakers. I have enough dynamat Xtreme coming to do the entire car short of the roof.

Help me out!

"replacement for factory door and rear speakers on an stock, non-amped 92 head unit while keeping the jumpered dash speakers"
Old 12-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
resident evil

wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2wraith Level 2
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Look for a speaker that fits and has high signal to noise ratio and low wattage close to stock, maybe a little higher. Use a online place like crutchfield to find the ones that work and then shop around. I am suprised the MB Quart was so cheap these days. They were expensive speakers considered top of the line years ago. IMO that wattage is too high for the stock system. And make sure the OHMs match if your using the stock tweeters cause I think they are wired in parallel to the doors with a cap in there to cut frequency (cheap xover). Wish I could help. I went with Boston Acoustic in the old days and they sounded ok but ended up doing the whole shebang years later anyway with amps.
wraith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Preserve a 3S

Sensitivity is the key word there not signal to noise.

But sensitivity is a misleading standard. I do like the low power criteria though.

There was a time when the standard advise was to go to an audio place and listen to what's out there. That's fine provided the radios you listen to are un amplified. But listening to speakers that are in enclosures is misleading too!! Years ago I did this with my son who at that time was an ee student. I had let him borrow an old school Pioneer FHP-P700 and he fried his speakers. It was for rear speakers in a 94 base without infinity and a mid level alpine aftermarket radio. So he listened and picked his speakers, they lasted 1 day he took them back and put an infinity system in the car. Back then when we pulled 25 digital climate control display kits the infinity systems were dime a dozen to get. To my surprise he sold his alpine radio too!!

Unfortunately the OEM speakers were/are hard to beat as for sheer volume. That's because they are super efficient. So everyone's left with trying to fill that void.

Just put the woofer from the MB in the door forget about the rest. Or since it has a bracket for the tweeter install the whole thing.
The MB is rated 40 watts it's hard to find a speaker with less than that.

Seems to me the sticky in the top of the audio has almost every speaker thread done in car audio. There was someone a while back that also liked the blaupunkt speakers. There was also a Memphis install in an infinity vehicle.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Preserve a 3S

These are an option too;

Dash, Door & Deck Car Speakers in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 39 - 627|1724,1725;25422|4122
Old 12-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Well after looking at all and doing the numbers I went a different way. I just ordered a pair of 6X9 three way HD's and a set of 6.5 three way HD's from Scosche and used the 35% holiday discount so they were $71. They are all 4 ohm same as the factory ones. I then ordered a pair of Visaton 2012 FRS7 2.5" Full-Range outdoor/marine Speaker 8 Ohm, which is what the factory dash speakers are, they were $18.
Now I have a Dynamate Extreme bulk pack, 4 gauge wiring kit, MTX re-Q, Infinity 1300a Mono amp and an Infinity Kappa 12 inch sub coming.
I figure what I am installing speakerwise is gonna be about as good as factory. That will be a nice change as my door and rears are rotted away all together. With the sound deadening, and the good amp, sub and processor I should have "good" sound and "good" volume. Later when I wanna dump buttloads of money and have a ricer aftermarket head unit, I can go with all new better interior speakers and a 6 channel amp and crank the sub amp and pretty well be done.
I'll post again when it's all in with results.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 91 Stealth r/t tt
HardProvidence is an unknown quantity at this point

In for the results.

Aluminum Y-Pipe, Custom Down Pipe, Tein Springs, AWS Delete, ChromedECU - stock tune, Stage 2 Competition Clutch.
HardProvidence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Verified Seller

The Houston are so hardcore that they have gone beyond a lot of this stuff but I am trying to drum up some excitement for some of the projects the we do the first few years of having these cars. That being said I'm gonna be pic happy and post all the photos of the dynamating and install and do some videos trying to depict the sound difference, fingers crossed
Old 12-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 93 SL 5-speed
ferretgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardProvidence View Post
In for the results.
Same here Also in the same boat- just wanting to make the stock stereo sound better without much more than replacing speakers (adding amp/sub IF needed)..

I tried two different Pioneer door speakers that sounded OK, but not very much better than the old stock speakers.. just want a clearer/less crackly sound

Thank You to GTwizard & Phates for keeping us on the road!

3S Vids: Red (dyno) | Red (short film extra) | 1st Time autocross | 1st Time Road Course (pt 1) & (pt 2)
Cars: "Red" - '93 3000GT SL (daily driver/garage king), "Little Red" - '91 GSX (race car/lawn ornament)
ferretgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Audio/Video Systems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.