Replacing Factory Door Speakers - Page 5 - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center
3000GT/Stealth International 3000GT/Stealth International

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Audio/Video Systems

3SI.org is the premier Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Help Me Choose a Factory Door Speaker Replacement
Infinity Reference 6032cf (or 6032si) 13 68.42%
Polk Audio DB651 (or DB651s) 6 31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #41 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 93 3000GT VR-QUATTRO
CHRIS75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Default Re: Replacing Factory Door Speakers

These are the four white plastic bases i am taking about :
They are flat on the front but not in the back.

F1 ... Where Nascar & Indi Drivers Dream To Compete
CHRIS75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #42 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '94 Black VR4
jordache16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS75 View Post
Hey yesterday i was working on this again.

So you kept the four white plastic bases that are on the door ( where the white bracket screw on ) ? if you did this the white bracket is now even deeper on cos the four white plastic bases have a longer butt on the back of them, then making them for sure unable to fit cos the window will hit it on it's way down, believe me i tried this yesterday.

Quote:
These are the four white plastic bases i am taking about :
They are flat on the front but not in the back.

Yeah, I kept the four white plastic bases on the door but I never tried rolling the window down. However, I do remember thinking that the door speakers may sound better if it were mounted flush with the door instead of floating in mid air, so I was considering either removing the plastic bases or cutting off the backs. I stopped short of doing any of this though b/c I was a little disappointed with the sound of the Kappas compared to my factory speakers. My factory front speakers don't sound the greatest but they aren't blown so I decided to just leave them in until I decide to add an external amp.

Can you tell how much room you are going to need to clear the window? I am concerned that cutting off the backs of the plastic bases may not be enough. If the window just barely hits the speaker then we should be OK. However, at this point it may be easier to make a custom bracket out of a piece of plastic as others have done.
jordache16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #43 (permalink)
Preserve a 3S

Drives: '95 RT/TT
Dave57 Level 1Dave57 Level 1Dave57 Level 1
Feedback Score: 38 reviews

How deep are the speakers that hit the window?
I have to wonder if the window to speaker door clearance changed?
I know in 94 the seat rails are higher on the passenger seat.
Smokin corner box JL W3. 99 lights & fogs w/Hid's . Bridgestone RE050A skins. Member #846 6/01

99SL Black (Deb) The first actual 99 Digital Climate Control Conversion Oct. 04, 05, & 06 Quickening "Best Stock"
Dave57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #44 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57 View Post
How deep are the speakers that hit the window?
I have to wonder if the window to speaker door clearance changed?
I know in 94 the seat rails are higher on the passenger seat.
The info can be found at Infinity website for " KAPPA 63.9I " i'll look for it.

But the back of the speaker is not big, i'd even say it's short and it's a little shorther than the Bose i originally had but the thing on this speaker is that the mid and tweeter things stick out so much that it 's making it hard to install.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:17 AM   #45 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Here's a pic with the spec's:

On 316 with the old Kappa's all he had to do is make a new bracket base out of a lid of a 5 gallon paint bucket, i did this but still hits the door grill big time.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing Factory Door Speakers-63.9i.jpg  
Old 11-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #46 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordache16 View Post
Can you tell how much room you are going to need to clear the window? I am concerned that cutting off the backs of the plastic bases may not be enough. If the window just barely hits the speaker then we should be OK. However, at this point it may be easier to make a custom bracket out of a piece of plastic as others have done.
Right now i am driving my car without the door panel cos i am in the middle of doing this ... darn speakers...

When i put the white bracket on the inside of the door and flip it horizontally i could almost put it flush to the door ( without getting the four plastic bases on the way ) and i saw that there is a good change that could clear the window so if you take the four white bases out and make you own to fit the white bracket it could work, but like you said ( and also that's why i didn't do that ) it may be just better make another bracket to fit the speaker and use the four white bases.

This is actually what i think to do, i want to try to make a metal bracket that i can bend a little to get the speaker inside of the door as much as i can.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #47 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: '94 Black VR4
jordache16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Right now i am driving my car without the door panel cos i am in the middle of doing this ... darn speakers...

When i put the white bracket on the inside of the door and flip it horizontally i could almost put it flush to the door ( without getting the four plastic bases on the way ) and i saw that there is a good change that could clear the window so if you take the four white bases out and make you own to fit the white bracket it could work, but like you said ( and also that's why i didn't do that ) it may be just better make another bracket to fit the speaker and use the four white bases.

This is actually what i think to do, i want to try to make a metal bracket that i can bend a little to get the speaker inside of the door as much as i can.
So I see on 316 he is using Kappa 63.1i 6-1/2s which based on the pictures it looks like the tweeters do not stick out nearly as far as they do on the 63.9i 6-1/2s. I tried to find a side view of the 63.1i but didn't find anything on google. Initially, I was under the impression that others have installed the 63.9i 6-1/2s in their 3S but the further along we get it seems like we may be paving our own path here.

I may consider going the component route now but based on the research I have done it is going to be a pain to install an amp to the factory HU. So who knows, maybe I will just end up leaving things the way they are now (factory tweeters, factory door speakers, Kappa 6x9s in the rear, factory HU and amp).
jordache16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #48 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 91 Mitsu 3000gt
Newbie3000gt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMAX99 View Post
Stock system, no issues with the door speakers, or dash, which I have also replaced with Infinity's. I'm pretty sure my rears could use replacement due to the shear age, but they still sound great and don't rattle. My 3000 only has a little over 21K miles and has been kept sheltered (98 SL model). I realize that has little to do with the surrounds rotting tho...
GTFO 21k Lyin azz!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Newbie3000gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #49 (permalink)
Verified Seller

Drives: 1992 Stealth RT/TT
Lunchbox is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

My 1992 RT/TT has 36k on it. Took a pic while I was outside this morning changing the driver window reg. They are out there. I bought mine from a collector in NYC who needed room for car #32, a 4th Ferrari.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing Factory Door Speakers-img_0205.jpg  

Mods: Latitude 42 HID projector conversion, Snake-Eyes headlight controller, Renegade Tech Works full 3 stage ECS, Full interior Dynamat (the right way), Fuel pump relay bypass, Poly front and rear motor mounts, Tein S Techs, R1 Concepts cross drilled/slotted rotors, gutted pre cats, K&N drop in filter.

Vehicles:
White 1992 Stealth RT/TT (Stock)
White 2011 Ford Crown Vic (Company Car)
Another German toy on extended leave with me by it's owner.
Lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
Forum Member

Drives: 1995 3000GT VR4
Teezlr is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there not a place that sells the factory Infinity speaker?
Teezlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

3000GT/Stealth International Message Center > Modifications and Technical Support > Audio/Video Systems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Free email addresses do not work(yahoo, hotmail, gmail,...)
We are currently being blocked by AOL so any AOL based address may not work(aol.com, aim.com, netscape.net, cs.com)
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.